Couple of questions about the i5 13" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by newmac20, Mar 15, 2011.

1. newmac20 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a couple of questions that I need answers to regarding the new MBP.

1) In Windows 7 under bootcamp can you burn discs using the dvd rewriter (I need this ability).

2) I have heard numerous complaints about the touchpad drivers under Windows 7 and I wondered if it really is as bad as people say (some people say its almost unusable).

3) Is the i5 laptop enough to do a fair bit of programming in visual studio 2010 and some web based programming, also the possibility of light photoshop work. I will also be playing back 1080p content if its connected to my tv. Can the laptop handle these tasks easily?

Many thanks

2. thejadedmonkey, Mar 15, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2011

thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I have a Macbook Pro from 2006, so quite a bit older. VS 2010 works just perfectly, no problems at all, as does the DVD burner.

The mousepad is sensitive, but not bad. I also have one of the older ones with a button. I have no idea what the glass (buttonless) ones are like.

P.S. expect battery life to be horrible. For whatever reason, Apple doesn't seem to be able to provide any power saving functionality in their computers, and my 3 hour battery life is normally 1/2 that in Windows.

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

As for the trackpad, it sucks, pretty bad. You'll want to disable tap to click, which makes it usable, but still extremely sensitive.

It will run whatever you want it to, but if you're going to primarily be using it as a windows machine, save your money and buy elsewhere.

4. newmac20 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was just wondering about using Windows on it which I will need to do for work some of the time, but primarily I would be using OS X. Thanks for your advice.

5. Zeus86 macrumors member

yea the battery life using windows 7 is horrible. so is the trackpad.

6. akhbhaat macrumors regular

A single core Athlon 64 could handle those tasks easily.