Couple of Questions re: my new MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ugadawgs311, Oct 16, 2012.

1. ugadawgs311 macrumors member

I recently purchased a 13" MBP and have a few questions:

1) The MPB comes with 4 GB RAM. I'm thinking of upgrading this to 8 GB RAM. What is the best brand RAM to get?

2) I mainly use my computer for web browsing, music playback, photo editing and other small tasks (no heavy video editing or gaming). Is a RAM upgrade unnecessary, or will 4 GB suffice for my needs?

3) As with my current 2008 MB, I plan to use my new MBP with an external monitor, keyboard, and mouse. Is there any harm to the computer using it as a desktop (i.e. keeping the lid shut) 80-90% of the time? I just want to make sure I'm not damaging my computer in any way by keeping the lid shut most of the time.

Thanks for any help!

2. 0x000000 macrumors 6502

1. Dunno

2. Will suffice

3. Check the temperature regularly, if it gets too hot, keep it open or open it once you've started the mac with your external keyboard. The display should stay off then.

3. ugadawgs311 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice. My 2008 MB keeps the monitor off when the lid is shut, but it does get hot from time to time. It also blasts the fan whenever I have something large displayed on the screen. I'm not sure if that's because I'm using the external monitor or if that would happen no matter what.

4. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

1: corsair vengeance or Kingston's hyper x

2: will suffice.

5. ugadawgs311 thread starter macrumors member

Well it sounds like I won't even need to upgrade, but if I do, does this look good?

6. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

I was using that until my 16GB and was one of the best.

7. ugadawgs311 thread starter macrumors member

One more question I have...

4) What's the best way to transfer documents, videos, photos, music, etc. to my new MBP? I have Time Machine backups from the old MB, but would it be best to use another external hard drive and copy that way?

8. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Depends on if you want to restore or set up as new, restoring from the backup will be easier and will ensure everything goes back in the right place, however if you want to be more selective about what you're moving over after a fresh install then just grab the files you want from the TM backup, either way an additional drive shouldn't be necessary.

9. ugadawgs311 thread starter macrumors member

Oh, so I can pick and choose what I take from the TM backup? I didn't know you could do that. I've never had to restore from a TM backup (thank goodness).

10. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Funnily enough I've never done it in the way I suggested to you, however, in my understanding, you should just be able to open the TM backup on your new computer and browse through the files and pull what you want.