Couple of questions: something about fruit, and will my 580EXII sync with monolights?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by seenew, Oct 30, 2008.

1. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

Haha. Yeah, they seem unrelated, but hear me out:

I'm doing a shoot this weekend for my lighting class. I've reserved a lighting kit that has two Travellite heads, which I will sync using a cord on one and the photo cell on the other. My question is this: can I use my 580EXII as a third light if I put it in some kind of slave mode? I know obviously it has a photo cell, but I haven't ever used it.

Second question: For the shoot, I'll be doing a pretty complex set of still-lifes (sp?) involving fresh fruit among other things. Does anyone have any experience in shooting fresh fruit and how to keep it looking fresh once it's been cut open? I've heard some tips in the past, but I can't remember anything specific. :eek:

Thanks in advance!
    Chris

2. poopyhead macrumors 6502a

poopyhead

I know nothing about shooting fresh fruit but to keep it fresh looking once cut you can use lemon juice or lime juice to control oxidation (keep it from turning brown) or use a simple glaze like used on fruit tarts

3. seenew thread starter macrumors 68000

seenew

thanks for the tip.

these are just some snapshots, but look at how weird this fruit (vegetable?) is! Apparently they're called "kiwanos." I just picked up a couple because they looked cool, I had no idea they'd be GREEN inside!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

weird.

Anyway, anyone have a clue about the speedlight question?

4. seenew thread starter macrumors 68000

seenew

5. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

The 580EXII doesn't have an off-camera slave mode- if you don't have an optical trigger for one, you're out of luck off-camera. I'm not sure if the Canon on-camera slave mode is optical or what. I'd get some posterboard for a reflector.

6. seenew thread starter macrumors 68000

seenew

thanks.

yeah I just stopped by the local camera shop and got the news from them. Bummer.

7. ChrisA macrumors G4

These things are cheap and turn any shoe mount flash into a slave. There is a tripod socket on the bottom to allow using a tripod as a light stand.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/62712-REG/Wein_W940030_HS_Hot_Shoe_Slave.html

I've got two of hese and they work well. The only problem is it there are other photographers using flash in the area. Their flashes will set your strobes off.

8. seenew thread starter macrumors 68000

seenew

that's what they tried to sell me in the store, but for $45. Don't get me wrong, I realize that's cheap, but it's not a problem I will run into frequently since these aren't my lights, so I don't want to invest any more money in this project I've already got going.
    Thanks for the link though!