Couple questions before taking the plunge on a New iPad 3rd Gen..

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jaysen, May 24, 2012.

1. jaysen macrumors 6502

I found a deal on a used 3rd gen ipad (16GB+Verizon4G) for $500 and before I shell out the dough, had a couple questions;

1) I read an old article back from March 2012, that said Verizon is doubling the data on LTE Handsets but said the ipad was included. Verizon is still advertising this on their site, but can't find anywhere that states the ipad is included - can someone confirm? I'm interested in the 2GB $30/mo plan.

2) Can you still use AT&T sim cards in a Verizon ipad and obtain HSPA+ speeds - this is important for me because I live in an area that does not have LTE at the moment, and Verizon 3G coverage is decent but AT&T's HSPA+ is superior! So I plan on obtaining an AT&T sim while at home and use Verizon's network when im in an LTE market.

3) Should I decide to go pre-paid, how difficult/easy is it activate the sim to obtain service? This is important to me because should I travel somewhere on business where wifi is not available, I'll need to activate the data so I can use almost instantly.

Thanks in advanced..

2. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

1) As far as the double data I don't think the iPad is included. I just got mine Friday and the 2gb for $30 is what I got.

2) I know the Verizon iPad will work with a AT&T sim card. I'm pretty sure it gets the standard 3G but not quite sure about the hspa+. Regardless, it will work with an AT&T sim.

3) I wasn't aware you could sign into a contract for data on the iPad. I don't know why anyone would want to when it's so easy to do the month by month. It took me 30seconds to set it up and get it working.

Hope that somewhat helped. :eek:

3. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

The data plans from AT&T/Verizon don't include international roaming. You will want to get a prepaid SIM card in the country you are visiting. It is usually no problem to put in a prepaid SIM.

4. jaysen thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies - I went ahead an purchased the 16GB Verizon ipad...

I wasn't necessarily looking to sign a 2 yr contract, however I figured if I could get double data + my Corporate discount applied, I would be paying less than $30/mo OR if I needed to get a more expensive plan, then going with the $50/mo plan I would ultimately be paying a little over $40 a month...