couple quick questions for a newbie jailbreaker, probably easy for you guys to answer

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by aliensarecool, Feb 25, 2012.

1. aliensarecool macrumors 6502a

aliensarecool

before i start, i have read and searched a fair amount....which lead me to register to get some quick help before i restore. plus i read on this place quite a bit and now can contribute to the MR community :D

i jailbroke and have back up since then with itunes. i got a little carried away with cydia and downloaded stuff that i really don't need. mainly all i need is bitesms, sbsettings, ifile, tetherme, and a couple other tweaks...my phone has been glitchy every once in a while so i want to start over with just the things i really need.

now if i backed up with itunes and restored and started over using those backups they might still might have some of the jailbroken related stuff right? i wasn't sure how to do a prebackup before the jailbreak to revert back to if anything happened, so i know i made a mistake there. anyways all i really need is my contacts, and i can redownload anything else, then do a backup before i rejailbreak....but how can i go about saving JUST my contacts. windows contacts/address book route doesn't seem to be working..and the verizon backupassisant seems glitchy and is doing duplicates which i already had to spend forever going thru and deleting the duplicates......how can i save my contacts to my PC so i can at anytime start over and always have them in case anything happens?

also is it normal to have random glitches/lags once in a while while jailbroken? once in a while i get a lag when opening bitesms, or when i try scrolling it doesn't flow/scroll like it should....also i've noticed sometimes my usage and standby times are the same. i closed everything but it still remained the same till i power cycled/gave it a full charge....any one have this before?

will appreciate the help. again all i really need on my phone after a restore is my contacts. so i'd like to back them up. plus i'd like to have them backed up in case something ever happened to my phone i could always have them.

2. LiesForTheLiars macrumors regular

iTunes will not back up jailbroken items... with the exception of apps you didn't pay for, which is not available for discussion in these forums.

It will back up all your typical items such as your contacts, etc. just like a normal stock phone.

I got carried away with tweaks as well and it was immensely laggy, so I restored, re-jailbroke, and just installed what I need and it's just as fast as stock.

3. aliensarecool thread starter macrumors 6502a

aliensarecool

so restoring from an itunes backup that i did while i was jailbroken won't have any effect compared to one i did when i wasn't jailbroken? while i was searching i thought some posts said it's possible some settings or something could be included. maybe i misunderstood

i'd still like to know how i can always keep an extra backup of my contacts in case of an emergency

4. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

You can use apt backup tweak before restoring to save your tweaks.

Im on the other side of the spectrum where you are right now.

I haven't gone mad running round cydia downloading lots of tweaks.

Currently enjoying where i am with my iPhone 4 now which has a new lease of life.

5. tateu macrumors 6502

I recently did a restore through iTunes on my 4s and then set it up with a backup made while it was jailbroken. I don't know what effect it had, if any, but the restore from backup process definitely put preference files from jailbroken apps back onto my unjailbroken phone (var/mobile/Library/Preferences/). I don't know if any other jailbroken settings/files were restored. I rejailbroke immediately and haven't noticed anything too terribly wrong.

One thing to note, if you are unjailbreaking to bring the device in for repair, it is probably be best to not restore with a jailbroken backup.

6. aliensarecool thread starter macrumors 6502a

aliensarecool

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'm just unjailbreaking to start fresh and only download necessities I need. I think someone that I downloaded bust have been Buggy or something.

7. aliensarecool thread starter macrumors 6502a

aliensarecool

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

So do people normally restore from a back up they did while jailbroken without any issues?

8. LiesForTheLiars macrumors regular

Yes, I've done it several times without issues.

9. aliensarecool thread starter macrumors 6502a

aliensarecool

Anyone know how to save my contacts only without saving my entire backup

10. aliensarecool thread starter macrumors 6502a

aliensarecool

Any more input

11. aliensarecool thread starter macrumors 6502a

aliensarecool

Searching around I found mixed opinions. Ill test it out tho