Couple ?s Re: iPhone and Transferring Info

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by raf66, Sep 20, 2012.

1. raf66 macrumors regular

Hi everyone. Like all of you, I'm uber excited to receive my iPhone 5 tomorrow! Mine's been sitting at the FedEx facility in Memphis for a couple days and I keep checking the FedEx website for updates. So, yeah, I guess I'm excited (OCD!). I have some questions, though, with respect to getting the stuff off my old phone to transfer it to my new one.

I'm giving my Droid X, which I've had for 2 1/2 years, to my teenage son as he fried his iPhone 4 but swimming with it in his pocket. My DX has some pics that I'd like to make sure get transferred over. It also has my email logins, FB and Twitter logins, and other account logins and contacts that I'd like to make sure don't stay with the DX and instead come with me to my iPhone 5.

So, are all of these logins, photos, contacts, etc. saved on the VZW Backup Asst, or is this just a backup of my contacts? How can I get my photos over to my new phone? The music on my DX is fine since it came from my iMac's iTunes account, so I can manually delete all of my songs.

Also, after I transfer what CAN be transferred over to the iPhone 5, should I do a hard reset on the DX? Will that erase photos, music, etc. on the micro SD card also? I want my son to have a DX that's in as similar condition as the day I bought it (except for making sure the OS updates are up to date).

One other question pertains to getting the new phone up activated. My wife and I have a family plan for us and our two kids. I'm using one of my kid's upgrades to get the iPhone (since they've used my last two!). I understand from speaking to VZW that even though I had to order the phone with my son's upgrade, I just need to activate it using MY cell phone number. However, do the mechanics of activating the new phone require that I make the activation call from my home phone (so as not to turn on the iPhone and have it automatically activate on my son's number before I have a chance to change it), or can I just dial VZW from the new phone and go through the process via the iPhone itself?

Thanks a lot for the information, and sorry I've got so many questions. It's my first iPhone and I don't want to screw something up.

2. raf66 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm bumping this because in just the few hours since I posted it, it has moved to the 3rd page! The posts are coming fast and furious. What, is there a new iPhone coming out soon or something?!!

3. takeshi74 macrumors 601

http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Forum_Rules

4. Jweave macrumors newbie

VZW Backup is only going to help with your contacts. As far as photos, I suggest using something like Dropbox. You can get a free account and upload your pictures on your Droid to it, then install Dropbox on your iPhone (and your iMac for that matter) and you'll have them. You'll just have to log back into Twitter and Facebook on your iPhone.

A hard reset won't delete what is on your Droid X, you'll have to delete all of that content separately. It will delete whatever is on the phone's memory.

As far as your last question is concerned, just call Verizon when you get the iPhone and tell them what you're trying to do. They'll make sure you get the iPhone activated on the correct phone number.

5. raf66 thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry about violating the bump rules. Wasn't intending to offend or circumvent anything.

Jweave, thanks for the info. I've got Dropbox on both my iMac and my DX so I should be good to go.