Couric--Palin "What newpapers do you read?"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Frisco, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Frisco macrumors 68020

Not a direct quote, but Palin said she reads them all. Couric asked her to name one and she couldn't!

Too sad. Next interview please ask her what's the last book she read? Who's your favorite author?

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I would be really put out if she didn't read at least the following:

The Illawarra Mercury
    The Border Mail
    The Wollongong and Northern Leader
    The Trading Post

Anything else is really just filler...

3. Cursor macrumors 6502

Cursor

It's actually starting to get painful to watch any of her interviews. This debate on Thursday is going to be a total joke. That is, unless SuperMcCain suspends his campaign again, you know, to deal with the economy. Here is the link:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xRkWebP2Q0Y

4. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Holy crap. She couldn't even just say, "New York Times," or, "Washington Post"? Unbelievable.

I love how she explains how Alaska isn't cut off from the media, but can't name a single national newspaper.

5. avigalante macrumors 6502

avigalante

+1

Incredibly pathetic that she can't even mention a major newspaper/magazine.

6. donga macrumors 6502a

donga

in the video i love how katie asked the question, then asked for specifics, then just looked down and gave up on the question.

if she pursues it: too aggressive/biased.
    if she doesn't: she gave up without getting a real answer.

what a joke

7. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

You know people it may very well be McCain has instructed her to be vary evasive until the debate and then she comes out with guns blazing and tries to catch Biden off guard.

She can't be that dumb.

8. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

And in traditional Palin fashion, she in no way answered the question and instead rambled until what she was saying made absolutely no sense.

9. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I've been thinking this too. Because the alternative is just to horrible to contemplate.

10. Tosser macrumors 68030

Wow, just wow!

Even I – an effing dane! – can name at least a few big american newspapers off-hand.
    Does she read nothing but the bible?

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Wait, so, erm... is that Sarah Palin, or is that another Tina Fey sketch satirizing Sarah Palin? It's hard to keep track anymore. :eek:

12. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

I'd be willing to bet money she doesn't even read the bible. Most likely skimmed it on Sundays to make it look like she was paying attention.

This is no stunt. She IS that dumb.

WTF happend to my country?.

13. Tosser macrumors 68030

That scares me. Even if I do sit across the Atlantic from her …

14. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Sadly I don't think it will. They've kept her locked up in a basement for a week now and stuffed her chock full of pre-packaged answers. The way this debate is set up, there'll be no room for ad-libbing, so if she can only keep her nerves in check and remember her lines, it will look just like her speech at the RNC where the teleprompters kept her coherent. I'm afraid that all those (including myself) who will be glued to the TV waiting with baited breath for The Mother of All Bloopers and Freudian Slips will be very disappointed and disheartened after the debate. Remember that McCain's crew were able to prop up Dubya and make him look good enough to win not one, but TWO consecutive elections. These people could make Keanu Reeves look like Oscar material if needed. :(

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/01/martin.palin/index.html
    :D

15. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    It's supposed to be the mark of a true politician. NEVER answer the question... just redirect it onto grounds where you feel most comfortable. But, good reporters no this tactic, and if they have a follow-up with attempt again. A mark of confidence, for me... is for a politician to give a REAL answer (or at least part of one) before marginalizing the significance of it if they wish. Palin's "confidence" is paper-thin.

~ CB

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

$100 bucks says Palin is carrying newspapers under her arm at the next photo op.

17. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Of course, had she said any newspaper she would have been nailed for it as well. Had she named a paper viewed as conservative everyone would claim she only gets her news from biased sources, had she named a paper viewed as more liberal everyone would have used that to put more credence into the stories of that paper (not that they're untrue, but it would undermine the conservative mantra of the "liberal" media) best to just say she reads a wide variety and keep the specifics out.

I'd be more interested in which sections of the paper she reads.

18. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

you give her way too much credit.
    "I read 'em all" does'nt really sound better.

Palin at debate camp-

Attached Files:

19. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I completely agree.

But had she said any specific papers then it will lend credence to every liberal op-ed in a paper that's perceived as having a liberal bias, and if it were a conservative paper, she'd be accused of only getting her information through biased sources.

Of course I'm not sure what answer would have been best in this scenario. Reading them all is very poor, since you can see it's a lie right from the start, and then not knowing the names of any is only icing on the cake, hell she could have at least said she looks at the Mat-Su Valley Frontiersman.

20. Motley macrumors 6502

Couldn't she have named a few of each, to signify that she actually gets a well rounded view of the many varied opinions of the people of the country she wants to be VP of? Which I guess she does when she reads "all" of them.

21. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

23. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I have by now seen several videos in which a puzzled-looking Katie Couric, listening to Palin's answers, appears to be asking herself, "WTF is wrong with this woman?"

24. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

All Your Newspapers Are Belong To Us?

25. Frisco thread starter macrumors 68020

Exactly! And I have never seen this look with Katie before. Katie is thinking just like the rest of us are, "this must be a joke."