Court bans death penalty for child rape

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by solvs, Jun 27, 2008.

1. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080625/ap_on_go_su_co/scotus_child_rape
    I'm no fan of child rape, and am on the fence about the death penalty in general (though err on the side of caution) but I think this is probably a good ruling.

As for what I would do if it was my child, for the good of us all (either we all have rights or none of us do) let's just say it's a good thing for our justice system loved ones don't serve on the jury nor get to be the executioner, because as much as I hate to admit it (and would hope I'd be better than that if it came down to it) I guess I could understand those who want to put vengeance above justice.

2. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

The cure for this, is let word slip of their crime to the prison population where they get sentenced. They will be "Taken Care Of " there. This crime, destroys lives. :mad:

3. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I think it was a good call. Plus the death penty is letting child rapest off easy because it would be an easy death. Putting them in prison means a slow more pain full death as they other prisoners would take care of it. Child molesters have a very hard time in prison. Even the "hard core" criminals will make them suffer and of course make them there play toy so to speak.

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

well this is a good thing. the death penalty, for any crime, is wrong.

while it is a horrible, horrible thing to experience, it doesn't justify taking lives.

5. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

The statistics surrounding child molestation seem to indicate that most pedophiles were themselves victims of heinous sexual abuse when they were children. (As a note: an explanation =/= a justification). This ruling will hopefully set us towards examining not the criminals nor the crime, but the victims so that we can break the cycle of sexual abuse.

6. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

I think child rape is a lot worse than child murder.

I am not sure if death penalty is the answer to crimes but if you can't be put to death for child rape, then I don't think you should be put to death for child murder. Or vise versa.

Murder you're dead. Rape leaves years and years and years of mental suffering.

7. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Court bans death penalty for child rape

Absolute crap.

Bullocks in England.

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

remind me again what good the death penalty does other than 'revenge' killing?

9. bartelby macrumors Core

And what have castrated bulls got to do with it?

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I feel the same way.

11. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

yeah.

spending the rest of their lives in a federal "pound-you-in-the-ass" prison is worse punishment anyways.

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

More expensive too. Lets see free cable, free food, free bed. Who pays for their prison term, we do. Why should they get more luxuries than most free people. The reason people keep committing crime is because they know they won't really pay for their sins. Let them truly suffer in jail would make more sense. Bring back "The Rock".

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Actually it isn't, due to the double trials required and automatic appeal among other things. (source)

14. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

its far cheaper to keep them alive in prison than to execute. do some research.

15. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I think part of the reason the death penalty doesn't work is that the appeals process drags on too long. If the death penalty was effective it would reduce crime in the long run. But that is another debate for another thread.;)

16. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Why shouldn't the appeals process "drag on too long"? If the state is going to execute somebody, don't you think they'd want to make sure that the person they are putting to death actually committed the crime? But, as you said, if the death penalty were effective, it would reduce crime. But it doesn't, and it isn't effective.

This ruling is a step in the right direction. Now only if it would be banned for all crimes.

17. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I'm a not saying don't prove a person innocent or guilty first, but after there is absolute proof, and the only reason a person is appealing is to stay alive to drag the process out 20 years needs to stop.

I think there are certain crimes that should get the auto death penalty. Violent pre meditated murder for one. If a serial killer is going to kill and not feel anything after doing it then he should die.

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

A step in the right direction. Now they should apply the same logic to murder and crimes against the state. The death penalty is nothing but institutionalised revenge.

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

see i cant see it this way, yes it is a TERRIBLE crime, but even after being raped, theres still life. Yes there will always be anguish and probably mental suffering, but at least they still have their whole life to live.

20. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

And even if you don't there a lots of other costs.

21. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

What is the break down in cost of life in prison vs death.

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

many reports say its actually more expensive to put a person to death, assuming the person decided to go through the appeals process of course, ill look for a source in a second

23. nick9191 macrumors 68040

I'm sorry but anyone who believes prison is like a holiday camp has obviously never been, its not a nice place, and is more mentally scarring than physically.

24. gothiquegirrl macrumors regular

gothiquegirrl

yeah, well,, as much as I agree.. I don't really want to pay for a child rapist or a murderer to have 3 hots and a cot ( as they say here) when i'm struggling to have a 3 hots and cot of my own.

I mean sure the ass-pounding action sucks.. but so does paying a mortage, putting gas in my car and figuring out how i'm supposed to buy food with the scraps of money I have left over after the government takes it all...

25. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Read the source in my first post ;).