Court Upholds 'Under God' in Pledge of Allegiance

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by obeygiant, Mar 11, 2010.

1. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

AP

I think this is finally settled. Newdow was quoted as saying "Oh man, what a bummer," when told of the ruling.

2. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Giggle-snort. "First Atheist Church of True Science" is sorta hard to take seriously. But, so was Jim Jones' deal, so what do I know?

Three-quarters of a century, and I still can't figure out how I've been harmed by manger scenes at the courthouse or having the Ten Commandments in government buildings. Or either saying or ignoring "Under God" in the Pledge.

Living's been so easy in this country for so long that way too many folks don't have enough to do to keep their little minds occupied. That leads to that silly career of picking fly-poop out of pepper.

3. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I guess it easy when it's your supernatural sky man there. If it were passages from the Qur'an you'd be screaming bloody murder.

4. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

^ Indeed!

I don't truly care because they're only words; God has no special significance to me. I think it's a stupid addition that should never have been added in the first place. "Separation of church and state"? Don't make me laugh.

5. djellison macrumors 68020

Very well put.

6. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Yes, but when we in the US, self-righteously get a sense of superiority granted by the supernatural sky man, we've tended to treat those not sharing our beliefs poorly.

Francis Bellamy (1855 - 1931), a Baptist minister, wrote the original Pledge in August 1892. Even as a minister, his Pledge DID NOT have "under God". In 1954, Congress after a campaign by the Knights of Columbus, added the words, 'under God,' to the Pledge. The Pledge was now both a patriotic oath and a public prayer. Some separation of church and state.

7. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I'm pretty agnostic these days, and those words are offensive to me. They not only assume for me that there is a God, but that he's the Christian one.

(And thanks to the tea party, we're not that indivisible any more either.)

8. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

It's so easy to offend people these days. To be offended by a "pledge" that we probably don't have to hear every day... is kinda sad.

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Quite. Having a pledge of allegence at all is frankly bizarre. If you have to prove you are a patriot you probably aren't.

10. Shivetya macrumors 65816

Gives meaning to their otherwise meaningless lives.

11. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Native Americans, you remember, the people who were here before Christians came over on their little boats, have their own religions. I'm assuming that the phrase "under god" wasn't meant to tell them that their belief in multiple deities was WRONG, or that their gods were wrong because they don't happen to live in the sky above us. No, that would be kind of mean to put in our pledge of allegience something that could be interpreted very easily to be the State telling you your religion was WRONG.

-http://www.religioustolerance.org/nataspir3.htm

12. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

As a Christian, I find it strange that other Christians would want to pledge their allegiance to a country in the first place.

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You're damn right he would. Which is exactly why the rest of us are angry.

It's offensive that we even have a pledge in the first place, but that "God" is included makes it worse.

And making such ridiculous posts obviously is what gives your life meaning.

14. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

So you two wouldn't mind if it mentioned the Qur'an?

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Right, I'm sure they wouldn't have a problem with "one nation, under Allah" :rolleyes:

16. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

If we were all in Saudi Arabia I'm sure I wouldn't have a problem having that on a flag or the currency. I wonder if the atheists in that country are filing lawsuits against having "(There is) no god but Allah. Muhammad (is the) messenger of Allah" on their flag.

17. Denarius macrumors 6502a

Denarius

Good for the courts. Pressures to change these fundamental traditions are subversive to a nation's basic culture and should not be tolerated. Particularly when there are elements of other religions that are attempting to do this. I've seen documentaries about UK council's that have demonstrated that they have essentially become Islamic fundamentalist councils.

18. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Sad, but true (for many people). I mean the people who need to believe in a god.

19. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Nailed it

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

This isn't Saudi Arabia, nor is it a theocracy.

21. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I'm not sure why that point of view makes any sense since the United States wasn't founded on Islamic values or traditions.

22. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

This isn't a fundamental tradition at all. The original pledge had no mention of god. It was added sometime in the 1950s because a bunch of pussies in Congress were scared of the commies and thought adding "under god" would show the world that we're a bunch of god fearing capitalists.

Removing "under god" would be going back to fundamental transitions.

23. Desertrat macrumors newbie

To get away from the "under God" thing for a moment: The pledge is to the flag, to its symbolism of hope as expressed in the original documents. It's the symbolism of liberty, of equality of opportunity and all that sort of virtue.

That it has all been abused and misused has nothing to do with the intent of the symbolism. The flag is the symbol of this nation, not of any Administration or Congress, regardless of how any of them try to wrap themselves within it in their hypocrisy.

Nobody's perfect. No system is perfect. The whole idea is to figure out ideals and strive to achieve them. (We got rid of slavery, right? Women have the vote, right? Other examples abound.) Whether you as an individual or the whole 300 million of us, we're supposed to try to be better, tomorrow, than we were yesterday.

That's what the flag represents to me. It's all about striving, I guess, while knowing we'll never get there. Me, I'm not a quitter.

So "under God" was inserted because of the Cold War and godless Communism. That oughta appeal strongly to Islamics, for sure. This country is predominantly Christian and always has been. So, the word "God" makes sense. If I'm AmerInd, I can easily translate "Manitou" or "Great Spriit" or whatever. If I'm Jewish I can think "Yahweh", I guess. "Allah" for Islamics. "Buddha", whatever. And on and on. Damfino: "Creator" for the non-denominational?

Atheists are statistically insignificant, like it or not. There are a lot more sorta/maybe-agnostic types, of which I'm one--for all that I lean toward "Probably is". One thing for sure about life itsownself: You can't please everybody. I quit worrying a long time back, about being pleased...

'Rat

24. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Oh sorry my bad, there was me thinking America was multi-cultural. What exactly is your background again? European settler, or Asian immigrant?

25. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I never understood the concept of the Pledge of Allegiance. It is some sort of psychological indoctrination?