Courts should force this family to change their kid's names.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by niuniu, Aug 6, 2010.

1. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    They took the kids from them under what may appear to be a trumped up abuse case with the absurd kid's names at the centre of it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-10891733

Why haven't the court had the children's names changed yet?

Children's names:
    Adolf Hitler Campbell 4 yr old
    JoyceLynn Aryan Nation 3 yr old
    Honszlynn Hinler Jeannie 2yr old

You can't send a kid to school with a name like Adolf Hitler - that's begging for a kicking, and unfair to the kid who didn't have a choice. If the kids want to change their names back, they should be allowed to do so - when they're adults, but for now change it back to something not so extremely provocative.

2. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I'm guessing these kids are black or Jewish. If so, this is really in bad taste.

3. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

If they just used parts of their names it would be better. There's a lot more to this story. Mr. Campbell appears to be a total nutcase.

His former wives have restraining orders against him. His current wife:

4. djellison macrumors 68020

Do they have any aunts or uncles or something? Let them take on the guardianship role and pick names that are not catastrophically offensive.

I notice that while he called his children those names, he's not had is own name changed to something equally as sick.

5. niuniu thread starter macrumors 68020

niuniu

All 3 kids are white I'm assuming, still reckon it's outrageous.

Not surprised to read that at all. What an utter cretin..

Well spotted - send the cretin to LA for a few months with his name changed to Aryan Nation and he'll soon change his ideas on baby names.

6. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

Are the kids being physically abused by the parents?

7. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

The names are the least of their problems.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

This man sounds like a total nutjob and it is a good thing that he doesn't have custody of his children.

9. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

Where did you draw that conclusion from? :confused:

10. niuniu thread starter macrumors 68020

niuniu

Nothing to suggest that, just that the parents had 'created a risk' of abuse or serious harm.

11. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

That's a pretty weak argument in the community's case (even though the names are certainly in bad taste) if such a thing were to stand it could also be argued that naming ones son Leslie, Percy, Lindsey, Lynn etc...could fall under the same category of creating an environment for "potential" harm, because of the fear of schoolyard bullies.

I am sure all those roving gangs of unruly Jewish kids we hear about all over the news are just itching to beat the **** out of this kid once he reaches middle school right? Or are a bunch of Alzheimer and senile old World War II vets going to start hunting him down thinking he's the original and exact some payback?

Again the names are in bad taste (really REALLY bad taste), but who are we to tell a parent what to name their kids or tell a parent what ideologies to follow.

I am a firm believer in the concept that parents should be the ones raising their own kids and short of any actual documented abuse occurring (not potential) this is a waste of the public's time and money.

I could "potentially" stick my penis in a light socket are we going to outlaw light sockets?

12. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Supposedly the kids weren't taken out of their home because of their names. There WAS alleged abuse or neglect. Did you read the article link from my post?

13. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

I laughed. In bad taste of course. :D

People never surprise me nowadays.

14. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

"There was", and "alleged" are kind of contradictory terms in this case. Either there was abuse/neglect or there wasn't. "Alleged" implies that there was an accusation of some sort but no proof yet.

15. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

If you believe the authorities, they determined that the kids were in danger. The details haven't been released to the public.

16. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

Yah, and that light socket looks kinda sexy right about now, somebody will have to come and remove it before I do something to it.

17. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Light may be shed on the subject after the hearing.

18. niuniu thread starter macrumors 68020

niuniu

I agree with Town that this is a bit flaky, all this risk of abuse and alleged abuse business. I think personally it's trumped up and the concern at the heart of it is really about the names. The original complaint that set it off was from a cake shop that refused to write the name on a cake.

I disagree with Town that they should be able to name their kids this though - it's too provocative and without justification (father called Adolf, and a brother-in-law we namesaked called Hitler, poor kid just got caught with a bad combo).

19. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I thought you learned your lesson after the last time. Have the elecrical burns fully healed yet? ;)

20. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

21. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

No but I caught a pretty good buzz--had a better time with the hornets nest though LOL

22. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

That is awful. Just truly horrendous spelling.

23. awmazz macrumors 65816

The article says

The kids' names are only the half of it. The neighbour reported the wife passed a note saying the husband was going to kill her, so the parent's having mental problems they aren't seeking help for may be the most important factor. The names may just be a manifestation of the bigger problems, so the parents themselves are the bigger risk than any school teasing or social ostracizing.

Anyway, it's just the middle names which are the issue. And they were allowed to register them in the first place. How many other people have stupid or embarassing middle names? Just drop the middle names if necessary. Otherwise they're fine even traditional imo, unlike many people who have really stupid first names:

Adolf Campbell
    JoyceLynn Campbell
    Honszlynn Campbell - is probaby the wierdest one, but no means offensive.

24. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

There isn't really an issue then considering how rarely people are addressed by their full names throughout a persons life either they would generally be addressed as Mr or Ms Campbell or as Adolf, JoyceLynn(even Joy, Joyce, or Lynn), and Honzlynn (Honz or Lynn) Middle names very rarely come up in topical conversation. I have two middle names myself, but so rarely are they used that no one has any idea the meanings behind my full name.

I knew a couple hispanic kids named Fidel found out one of them has the middle name Castro for all I know it could have been because the parents were really very political or because the kid was born in San Fransisco.

Makes about as much sense as forcing a kid named Joseph to change their name because the middle name is Stalin or there is also that case of the kid with the name Mussolini that caused an uproar. The dad is probably a white supremacist sure, but naming is the parents right. There was also the case in Sweden or Switzerland (I forget which or maybe it was another of those) where a couple wanted to name their daughter Metallica and were initially denied by the court because it was the opinion of the government that it sounded ridiculous.

I find this supposed note the neighbor provided reporters questionable too the parents are probably dicks I wouldn't doubt that, there has probably all sorts of neighborly hostilities going on for years.