iPad Coworkers say they cant tell the difference using an air to their ipad 2

Misskitty

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
They said the air doesnt feel any slimer, doesnt feel any lighter and the screen looks the same as ipad 2 and the speed difference isnt noticable.:eek: they said i wasted money for minimal upgrades.

iliapiano

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2014
I never had the ipad 2, but I did not and wouldn't choose to buy the 2 because of how old the processor is (thinking about future ios updates, and apps), lack of lte, and no retina display. If you buy such an outdated device, you never know how much longer it will be supported, or strong enough to run the new apps.

joeblow7777

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2010
To a lot of non-techies even the differences between an iPad 2 and an Air are trivial. For a lot of people, if a device can access Facebook and their email then it's just as good as anything else.

PFKMan23

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2012
To a lot of non-techies even the differences between an iPad 2 and an Air are trivial. For a lot of people, if a device can access Facebook and their email then it's just as good as anything else.
This. At the end of the day, does it even matter to you? Or are you looking to impress people?

redmamoth

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2011
They're idiods, I have an iPad 2 and second I pick up an Air/rMini the difference is huge! I'm holding out for an Air2 though, which should be even better!

iPhysicist

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Dresden
Rethink! If the older device is not junk for most of the people as a new device comes out means the resale value will be good. Thats great me thinks ;-)

s2mikey

macrumors 68020
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
Doesn't make much sense to me. I loved my iPad 2 and my daughter is still using it now but the Air was an enormous upgrade in just about every way possible. I can see a few non techies having trouble distinguishing but the average person ought to be able to tell fairly easily!

960design

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Hi Misskitty!

They said the air doesnt feel any slimer...
It is
...doesnt feel any lighter...
they are wrong
...and the screen looks the same as ipad 2...
it's not
...and the speed difference isnt noticable...
could be true, depending on the app
...they said i wasted money for minimal upgrades.
What do you say? What will you say next year, when your iPad Air is still running the latest iOS and the iPad2 may not?

markyr17

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2010
They are trying to justify their purchase, and find reasons that your iPad is not loads better

Q-Dog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2007
Did you buy it for yourself or for others? Why does it matter what others think?

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
Did you buy it for yourself or for others? Why does it matter what others think?
This :D

Of course there is a difference, but some simply won't find it all that dramatic. After using my iPad 2 non-stop I brought my Dad the iPad with retina display.

At first he didn't notice anything, until he used the iPad 2 and saw that it wasn't nearly as sharp.

Even then he just shrugged about it.

iPhysicist

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Dresden
To those who do not know her...

its a typical misskitty thread... you should lower your expectations as she may never come and read your answers. :rolleyes:

Mechayoshi

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2014
The Mushroom Kingdom
If the said they don't see a speed difference I could kind of understand since that depends on the app and there's lots of variables with speed.

But if they couldn't tell a weight and screen difference, something up.

Either their blind or you were being a showoff and they said that to spite you.(no offence if that wasn't the case)

Shanghaichica

macrumors G4
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Yep.

That said, my A5 devices have a hard time even loading the App Store. You really have to spend time using the device to see the difference.
Yes I think you do. I've looked at the non retina mini and retina mini side by side in the Apple store and couldn't really see a difference. My iPad Air has the A7 chip and my iPod touch has the A5, the air is noticeably all round smoother and faster, however you would have to use them both together to notice as on its own the touch is fine.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Lol I was using my friends iPad 2 in a case and it took me 20 minutes to realize it wasn't retina. I hold an iPad pretty far away though.

ColdShower

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2014
Some people can't tell the difference when driving a minivan and a Tesla.

Lmaooooo

----------

They said the air doesnt feel any slimer, doesnt feel any lighter and the screen looks the same as ipad 2 and the speed difference isnt noticable.:eek: they said i wasted money for minimal upgrades.

Most likely they don't own one and they are hating on you. I have both and my iPad 2 is collecting dust. Extremely lighter and processor is faster.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
As others have said, speed difference isn't all that noticable, and many people have trouble distinguishing the retina from non retina screens. But they can't tell the difference in weight? That, I find hard to believe. I pick up my old iPad 3, and it feels like a brick compared to the Air.

patorioto

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2011
I've found that honestly your average person can't tell the difference and frankly I don't think they care that much.

We just got new laptops in our office and they of course went about as cheap as possible. The screen is dim and downright awful. I was talking to a friend at work about it and his exact words were "I didn't notice anything. It looks ok to me. As long as I can load my outlook and do my work I don't really care."

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Its because the iPad 2 runs iOS 7 quite well. Sure the iPad Air is obviously faster but its not a massive difference for the basic user.