CPAC attendee defends slavery

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yg17, Mar 16, 2013.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

But no, there's no racism at CPAC :rolleyes:

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2013/03/15/1729331/cpac-slavery-minority-outreach/?mobile=nc

2. samiwas Suspended

I saw this article yesterday, and was just floored. I know that there are people like this out there, but they usually keep their blind hatred mostly hidden, except within their own circles. I've known some people, and been around when those circles got together, and it's not pretty. I try to get out as fast as I can. But for someone to come into a meeting like this and start espousing these ideas? That is just crazy.

But, I'm sure he's a fine, upstanding gentleman.

3. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

CPAC is more of a joke than normal this year and is a perfect metaphor for what is wrong with the Republican Party these days. Anytime you get a group of the extreme flank of a party in one spot, stupidity is bound to arise.

Still cannot wrap my head around the logic of having the likes of Sarah Palin and Donald Trump there but at the same time not inviting (in fact publicly pushing away) folks like Chris Christie and Bob McDonnell.

Completely and utterly tone deaf. The former party of fiscal responsibility has morphed into this hodge podge group that picks the strangest times to have remarkably idiotic stances on nonsense issues.

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

What did the questioner in the video mean by whites being "systematically disenfranchised?"

Are there any examples someone can provide to illustrate his point?

Because I'm pretty baffled by it.

5. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Wow, being intellectually inferior must really suck.

----------

Must be those pesky equal protection laws.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

No surprise there. CPAC is always good for a few overt racial or misogynistic outbursts. The scary part is that this isn't the fringe, this IS today's Republican Party.

Lost in this might be Donald Trump calling for European immigration or Christie calling a black man, who shouted out a question to him, boy the other day. Racism is alive and well in the Republican Party.

7. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Chris Christie was just trying to get a last minute invite to CPAC.

8. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Does this surprise anyone coming from the American Taliban?

9. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The older generations can't die off soon enough :eek:

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

The scary thing is there a quite a few pockets of 20 somethings there.

11. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

This guy was 30. The older generations pass it down to their children.

12. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I wouldn't read too far into attendance. Even that clapping seemed almost sarcastic, judging by some of their expressions. The others in the crowd looked more shocked and amused by the ridiculousness of the "fed and clothed" comments than in actual agreement with them. A cliche angry redneck showed up, possibly with the goal of drawing negative attention. I wouldn't personally read into the views of the other attendees from that. It's not that I see racism as a non-issue so much as I think the disruption was premeditated.

13. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

As a member of an older generation - the a$$ end of the baby boomers - I can't agree more. We have really ********* things up (often without intending to). However, the man in the video is in his 30's, so wake up. These attitudes are not dead, and as the demographic power of WASP's in the US declines, there will be more and more clowns at the margins who cannot distinguish between losing power so that everybody has an equal chance versus 'disenfranchisement'.

I hope all political parties reject this nonsense.

14. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Yet, attitudes changed fast. A majority of those under 65 don't have these attitudes, a stronger majority under 50, and a very strong majority under 30. I'm sure that 30-year-old feels rather lonely with people his age. What is the average age of CPAC attendees?

Unfortunately, our current primary system over-amplifies the voices of older exurban/rural voters.

15. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Video here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobil...ristie-boy_n_2885338.html?utm_hp_ref=politics

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

17. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

It seems that Christie did not use the word "boy" that way, although some people took it that way. However, many more people were more offended by his apparently (I wasn't there, so, I can't say) dismissive attitude towards Democratic politician Sheila Oliver, who is Speaker of the New Jersey Assembly. I don't know much about her, so I can't say. But, politicians in New Jersey seem to be more outspoken that some places, so, this all may be par for the course. I'm not a Christie fan, but, I give him some credit for apparently trying to face up to issues, unlike so many politicians. Of course, they all tend to appear better from afar.

Donald Trump, OTOH, has made his racial sentiments perfectly clear. So, how many elections has he ever won, anyway?

18. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

As well as being racist, Donald Trump's statement is just plain stupid. How are european immigrants, who are typically more liberal than the average American, going to help the Republican party?

19. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

That's about right. The fact that CPAC rejected GOProud and Christie for Trump and Palin just shows how crippled the Republican party might be.

CPAC illustrates a dangerous problem for the GOP, it's a party bereft of actual ideas still stuck on the idea that Obama won because he sold a sale of goods to the right people. That this idea was echoed by Palin (while drinking a Big Gulp or, One of the Drinks Not Allowed by Bloomberg) and Sap of the Year Romney shows how endemic it might be.

I'm also worried about any party that remains so ahistorical that it thinks going back to the days of Frederick Douglas will stamp out the Strom Thurmonds of the modern Republican party. The reason that the Republican party is attacked is racist is because it pursues Voter ID laws in the South and anti-immigration laws in the West. A Latino voter in Arizona isn't going to hear about Douglas and forget about SB1070.

20. Thomas Veil, Mar 17, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2013

Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

It took reading several articles about the circle jerk that is CPAC, and then watching The Big Bang Theory last night, for me to see the parallel.

CPAC is the Republicans' equivalent of the world's nerdiest comic book/sci-fi convention. It's a bunch of people gathering to cheer things that don't exist in real life, wear costumes of their heroes, listen to speeches by people that haven't been relevant for years, and advise each other to live long and prosper.

Don't believe me?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of course, I'm being unfair to comic book and sci-fi conventions, where the participants have a better grasp of reality.

21. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I'm not saying there aren't people my age who hold attitudes like this, there are just less of them. Its a slow churning out of these attitudes, when my generation is dead I can only hope the next has even less of this crap on display.

22. MuddyPaws1 macrumors 6502

Racism is alive and well everywhere. To think that only republicans can be racist is just silly. I deal with it every day. And I'm not talking just black and white. There are other colors in this country.

23. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I know a few Scottish Europeans living near Trump's golf resort in Aberdeen who think he's a rich, arrogant buffoon.

(For those of you who don't know, in creating his golf resort Trump plowed over a bit of natural coastline and dunes that had been designated as an area of special scientific interest due to its biodiversity. Ruining the environment so that grown men can play with their wee balls... way to go Trump.)

24. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

On the flip side of that....there are rational, non-racist, arguments for both.

On voter ID laws, adding an extra step to ensure that the John Doe that reports to the precient to vote is actually John Doe is a worthwhile venture. Some of the states even are going as far as to give the cards away for free. If someone is too lazy to go and get their voter ID card then I really have little sympathy for that person come election day.

Immigration is a bit more of a sticky wicket for me. On one hand you have 13 million or so people here illegally. It's not practical to think that you can round them all up and send them back to where they came from. It's easy to make an argument that they aren't going anywhere so we might as well figure out a way to make them contributing members of our country. That said.....if you do that you're basically rewarding someone for breaking the law. Not the best precedent to set and something that is definitely not fair to those who have had to wait their turn in their quest to move here legally.

Being for voter ID laws and against some of the proposals like what Rubio and his crew in the Senate have proposed doesn't automatically make you racist (although I will concede that some of the people who support that stuff do so for racist reasons).

25. quagmire, Mar 17, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2013

quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I'm for Voter ID laws as well, but how the GOP tried to enact them right before the election was largely a political move. While I wouldn't call it racist, they did try to disenfranchise voters who do tend to vote Democrat( poor, minorities, etc) due to the lack of time for them to get a valid ID. Now would be the time to setup Voter ID laws so everything can be worked out in time for the 2016 elections.

Voter ID laws aren't bad, but the GOP tried to use them as a way to try to win the election in 2012.

It's certainly a messy situation with not a good solution. As you say, we can't exactly round them up and send them back to their original country, but if we give them a path to citizenship, it rewards illegal activity and screws the people who are trying to move here legally.