CPAC Day One

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IntheNet, Feb 18, 2010.

1. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

Kick-off day one today of Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) in Washington -- Dick Cheney makes surprise appearance (bravo!) -- Marco Rubio wows crowd -- NRA's Wayne LaPierre at CPAC brings down house (double bravo!!) -- good day had by all....

CPAC 2010: Live video, highlights from Day One
    http://voices.washingtonpost.com/44/2010/02/cpac-2010-live-video-highlight.html?wprss=44

Rubio addresses conservatives at CPAC
    BY LESLEY CLARK
    Miami Herald
    http://www.miamiherald.com/news/breaking-news/story/1487314.html
    WASHINGTON -- Marco Rubio wowed a crowd of influential activists here Thursday, criticizing his U.S. Senate primary rival -- Gov. Charlie Crist -- without mentioning him by name, and promising not to compromise his conservative principles for political expediency.

Dick Cheney: 'Barack Obama is a One-Term President'
    By HUMA KHAN
    Feb. 18, 2010
    ABC News
    Former Vice President, Scott Brown Make Surprise Appearance at CPAC to Rally Conservatives
    http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/tea-...ther-conservative-conference/story?id=9873498
    Former Vice President Dick Cheney rallied conservative activists today during a brief yet surprise appearance at the Conservative Political Action Conference. "I think 2010 will be a phenomenal year for the conservative cause and I think Barack Obama is a one-term president," Cheney said to a standing ovation.

2. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Anything you were interested in discussing or is this just a link dump?

Sounds amazing.

3. IntheNet thread starter macrumors regular

IntheNet

Naww... CPAC is the annual conservative gathering... we realize the minority party is suppose to shut up and sit in the corner but we're active, networking, and planning for 2010 and 2012 revolution...

4. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

LaPierre wasn't scared (for his life) that Cheney could be packing?

With the ultra powerful gun lobby present who needs anyone else to speak.

5. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

So what was the culmination of all this exciting activity? Anything particularly new and interesting that might form the basis of a discussion? Or is the fact that a political party is "active, networking, planning for a revolution" the hook?

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

You consider the possibility of Republicans making a comeback worthy of the term revolution? Damn, you must have less confidence in them than we do :p

7. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Anyone else find the term "conservative revolution" to be an oxymoron?

8. IntheNet thread starter macrumors regular

IntheNet

Hike on over to the Headquarters here...peruse the agenda.... for three-day event and list of honored speakers... I find it fascinating...

One thing I noted from today was the striking number of women, both young and old, getting involved in conservative events; women organizing neighborhood tea parties; women volunteering for GOP and Republican telephone banks; women bloggers; and women getting involved in 2010 state campaigns... really surprising and heart warming... The conservative cause sure is attracting some nice Americans... Not an old man's party no longer....

9. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Not if the revolution is against liberals. I think the word "revolution" is pretty stupid in this situation though.

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

How do you revolt against a minority with barely any power? There aren't many actual liberals in American politics.

11. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

The right wing hasn't been in control for a year! Start the revolution!!!

12. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Minority? Really? Last I looked the dems have been in power of congress since 2006 and have had a large majority (supermajority part of the time) in congress and control of the presidency since last year.

This argument is about as good as Christians whining that they are being oppressed in the US.

13. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Why do you have to be so rude? It was a completely legitimate question. This is the second time you've posted a bunch of links in a thread and not said anything else. That is neither the purpose of this forum, nor how it has worked for at least the last two years. As you should know by now people post articles when they have something to talk about, so what do you want to talk about? Give us some direction or don't post it, and certainly don't be rude when people don't understand what you are wanting to discuss.

That's why he said actual. You are hard pressed to find any actual liberals in government, just the same way you are hard pressed to find any actual conservatives. The labels are severely outdated.

14. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Elect liberals then.

15. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

What has that got to do with liberals?

It's disturbing that you seem to get your rocks off listening to a collection of crooks and liars. I mean, the speakers at this thing are the bottom of the bottom, some of the most absolutely dishonest politicians around. Kind of reminds me of a political Batman's rogues' gallery.

Oh, and apparently it closes with Glenn Beck. Because apparently the message the GOP wants to send is: we're not only dishonest, we're crazy as well.

But please, go ahead...have your revolution. Continue the work of Bush and Cheney. The country's down, but it ain't dead yet. Please do finish it off.

16. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Without doubt, all these revolutions have us going around in circles.

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

What is wrong with you guys? Since when is Democrat equivalent to liberal?

18. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Who did you vote for in this most recent election? President and congress.

19. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Its the party agenda. You are the same guys who equate Bush with conservatives, now that the tables turn your are getting offended, imagine that.

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

And neither and very liberal in their views at all. Obama has been playing centrist most of his term so far.

Edit: Bush said he was a conservative, he ran on that.

Who can you think of that actually ran under the term liberal other than just being assigned that label by their opponents to discredit them? I personally can't think of anyone but I've only been into politics for a few years now.

21. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Obama. Pelosi. Pretty much anyone else who is in congress except for a few from centrist states like nebraska.

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Can you point me to a link or something? I don't remember them running saying they were liberals, but my memory may be a bit hazy....

23. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

No one runs and says they are liberals, they show it by their agenda.

24. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

What a handy label "liberal" is. So evocative. I can just see those people dancing in the meadows with flowers in their hair, carelessly tossing greenbacks around like handfuls of leaves in the wind. Meanwhile, the dour, scowling conservatives sit in shaker chairs grumbling about how sinful it is to cavort in meadows when you should really be consumed with guilt at even considering the idea. In fact, that gets my dander up, it is time to grab the blunderbuss sitting by the umbrella stand and give those irresponsible hippies something to think about. And maybe deal with the revenuers, too.