CPU runs at 80C and geniuses worked on it for 3 hours and didn't get anywhere. :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by benlangdon, Feb 13, 2008.

1. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

:(
    my computer would be better used as a hot plate and paper weight than how it is right now
    today i spent 3 hours at the apple store trouble shooting why my mbp is messing up. ( i am over there with problems more than the people actually working there.)e

first, some errelevent program ran in the back that took up 90% of the cpu when i connected my external hdd.

then we archived it

blah blah blah
    now and before it has been running super hot. like 70 C and it hit 80 C today.
    i would not think this is good
    edit : ya i put 5 heat sinks on the area near the power cord and a fan and then it droped to 60 C
    60C = 140 F
    70C = 158 F
    80C = 176 F

im tired of troubleshooting this. and if anyone will help, thanks. ill write more tomorrow.

:( im just pissed off and ranting now so ads;olfkawjo and there is just so many problems that i dont want to spend the time to write them

http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=102809&stc=1&d=1202974398

Attached Files:

2. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

I have a feeling the thermal paste on the CPU may be applied poorly. I've read articles and seen pictures of Apple's application "technique." Basically, they put way too much on. When it comes to thermal paste, less is better.

3. mchank macrumors regular

Is it running at 80c when you first boot it up or after a few hours of running programs? My Macbook Pro gets between 60~75C after a few hours.

4. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I think you'll find that inside they had mistakenly applied about 5lbs of thermal paste to your cpu's.

5. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Want to make your MBP as light as the Air?

Remove and reapply the thermal paste! :D

6. benlangdon thread starter macrumors 65832

benlangdon

ya right if i take this thing apart it will never go back together but it will have the correct amount of past but with 5 more heat sinks and maybe 2 fans :eek:

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Apples genius' idiots seem to be quite useless a lot of the time. Go back and speak to a manager, if they can't fix it, they can replace it.

8. bmwpowere36m3 macrumors 6502

Yea, I've seen the articles as well... but in actuality it didn't affect temps that much. One poster said that after cleaning and applying the "right" amount temps only drop a couple of degrees (that is definitely in the realm of data scatter) and such is not a change at all.

9. rezonat0r macrumors 6502

Those temps would not be abnormal if one or both CPUs are under load. Are you actually watching CPU usage the whole time?

I had an original 17" MBP. Took it apart and the thermal paste was actually applied OK, but it's cheap paste. Cleaned and reapplied Arctic Silver paste. After breaking the new paste in for a few days, temps dropped around 3 celcius on average. Not an incredible change, but enough to make me feel like I didn't waste my time. Warranty was not voided either.