CPU temp 100°C+, fan still at 2000RPM

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Transporteur, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Hey there
    I've notices a really strange behaviour with my 13" MBP. The fan simply doesn't go faster on high loads, which results in a CPU temperature that is far beyond the operation specification Intel provides.

Seems as if the SMC controller is kind of broken. I tried to reset it, but that didn't change anything. A PRAM reset also didn't work.

How can I fix that?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'd be a little more patient for a spin up. It's pretty standard operation otherwise.

3. Transporteur thread starter macrumors 68030

100°C is deadly and far from standard! Keep in mind that the 100° are read from the heatsink, so you can probably add another 10-15° for the core temp. Intels maximum core operating temperature is somewhat around 90°C. With a proper cooling solution and normal ambient conditions, the chip should never go over that value as it reduces its lifetime dramatically.

When I got that machine the fan got to 5000RPM+ even at 70°C, so there is definitely an issue with the fan controller.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

105° C for the P8400.

Are you waiting around for the fans to spin up? Be a little more patient. Apple doesn't want the fans spinning up from idle for a few seconds of heat.

5. Transporteur thread starter macrumors 68030

Higher than I remembered. :eek:

You are right Eidorian! I waited a little longer and finally, after 8 minutes, the fan spun up to 5000RPM.
    Still the reported temperature was way too high, so I ended up re-installing iStat.
    My temperatures are way lower now and the fan spins up at 70° again.

So the book was fine, only iStat reported false values.

Thank you very much Eidorian!

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It's alright. I hope I wasn't too hard on you about this subject. It's a rather common one.

Software is going to poll the temperature sensors and you can even go down to the diode. There's a certain level of variance nonetheless. It's going to save itself if you're in real danger. You're also under warranty. ;)

7. Transporteur thread starter macrumors 68030

Doh....!
    Should have used the search function a little more thoroughly. :eek:

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'm glad I was able to help you. Be glad that your experiences and this thread are going to help the next person that asks this question.

9. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

It reads the diode temperature, not the heatsink. Big difference there.

10. elektralv macrumors newbie

MBP fan control

There is a great system preference that lets you control fan speed. It's called "Fan Control" and can be downloaded here.
    http://www.lobotomo.com/products/FanControl/
    I set the idle speed up to about 3000 which helps keep my 3yr old MBP cooler.