CPU temp goes to 160F, but Fan still at 2K RPM on Al MB?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by morphalex, Nov 25, 2008.

1. morphalex macrumors member

As the title says, I was working on photoshop for awhile and I notice my temperature go up to 155, 160 with the fan quietly sitting at 2000rpm, not normal since usually when I play Dota the fan churns at 4600rpm at 168F. My photoshop starts lagging and everything I click on on my computer becomes white blocks with no text, I had to blindly reboot my macbook to stabilize temperature. How concerned should I be about this? This is the first time it has happened but I have a Dell Vostro that has gotten super hot but never gave me problems like this. Are any of you noticing this problem as well when working with intensive apps? I had nothing running besides photoshop as I always tend to close everything except for the program I'm working with. Any insight on this will be greatly appreciated.

2. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Havent had a problem with this on mine. Is it possible you had the air intake blocked? Was the computer on your bed or anything? That temp seems high for photoshop.

3. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

WERE you running other stuff as well? That would explain the high temps... But for the fans not kicking in people have tries SMC Fan Control. Hope it helps. If not, I would call Apple Care.

4. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

do you read peoples posts before you post?? i see you do this alot.
    his fans ARE RUNNING at 2000RPMs

5. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Dude, are we reading the same posts?! What does the fan speed have to do with my question about him running other applications on top of Photoshop?!!? He could just as well be running iTunes or a couple of extra Safari windows which would explain why the temps would be a little higher than when running JUST Photoshop.... Geez relax!!

6. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

"But for the fans not kicking in" <- you wrote that did you not??

HE SAID the fans ARE running at 2000RPMs

Forget it dude. im done!

7. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

1996-2001 RPMs is normal. I was referring to them not kicking into HIGH GEAR when his temps are so high... lol try to follow.. :eek:
    Of course you're done since you were incorrect in both threads :D

8. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Ok your right:rolleyes:

9. morphalex thread starter macrumors member

Yea I had everything else turned off except photoshop, the istat, and a USB mouse plugged in. Fans didn't kick into high gear like usual and I usually get 148-155F on photoshop. Always thought that was normal. I dread taking it to the apple store because it's an hour away and it hasn't happened again since this one time. They'll think I'm crazy. Also if it helps I I'd play an hour of dota, burned a DVD, surfed the web for an hour and had the mb in sleep mode for 4hrs before I used photoshop. Maybe that help raised the temp as the CPU was in use the whole 7 hours? Iono you tell me

10. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

70ºC isn't really that hot. I'm surprised you were seeing problems at that temp. They do have a delay reaction and notch up and same reaction coming back down. You say they do go up in other apps. Have you tried a real proc. intensive app. such as Handbrake which will take your proc. to 80º+ and see if fans kick in to high gear? The new MB's do run really cool and it takes some work to get the fans spinning up. If they kick in on the other app.s like you say but not photoshop this is truly strange since cooling is a hardware function independent of software.

11. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

This is normal. 150F is only 65C, that's what I would call 'warm' in cpu temp. Try to stream a show on youtube and rip a dvd with handbrake at the same time. The fan should kick in to higher speed around 70-80C, definitely full speed at 90+C.

Since it happened just the one time, may be the app crashed for some other reasons not related to temp. If it's really temperature related (like the core shut down in Rev A MB-Air), you should be able to reproduce the problem every time.

12. morphalex thread starter macrumors member

I totally agree the mb does run cool most of the time but at 160F the fans should at least spin at 3000+ rpm to cool it down. I haven't used handbrake to encode anything but I know War3 DOTA brings it up to over 168F but at the same time the fan spins at 4800rpm to cool it. What my concern isn't because using photoshop pushed it to 150+, my concern is why the fan didn't kick into high gear. I'll keep using it as is and assume it's a fluke somewhere and try handbrake as well. But if it happens again I'm calling apple.

13. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

They top at 6krpm+ so you've never really tested them yet. I'd say fluke. They really do run different heat handling-wise than previous generations. Fans come on very little unless truly taxing the cpu/gpu.

14. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

In additional to CPU temp, take note at the temperature of the heat sink too. Based on my observation, the fan speed is tied to the heat sink temp more so than the cpu temp.

15. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I've also noticed that Heatsink A and CPU stay pretty close in temp.
    My MB will get warm overall, and temps will rise between 65-70C when running a few apps together, but nothing really intensive.

16. eddyhttp macrumors regular

i have smcfancontrol but why the hell do we need to control the fan speed ourselves.

these computers will run hot depending what we do on it. so apple...freaking turn up the fan when we run programs that use of more cpu and gpu!

a lot of you say its okay to have the computer run at 70+ but none of my past laptops would run at that hot and keep the SAME fan speed. i rather not start a fire or get a bad burn on my leg.

when i run the vista partition, the fans speed up according to program and heat! why can't osx make it work on the unibody!

17. morphalex thread starter macrumors member

Yea I'll take it as a fluke for now. Odd thing is if photoshop is the problem why did everything else become white blocks wherever I click on the mac. I couldn't even the see the text to shut down my mb. But thanks all for the info I'll leave it for now since I have a near perfect mb.

18. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I have no idea what you're talking about.. Not once since i've had my macbook did it get "start-a-fire-or-get-a-bad-burn-on-my-leg" hot. Usually, the fans kick in just keep the temps mainly under 70, but sometimes based on the number of applications running, it inevitably gets hot.

19. m1stake macrumors 68000

20. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

160F is 71C.

My CPU was up at 71C last night when I was using Handbrake, and the fans were still at 1999-2001 RPM. I wouldn't worry.

21. morphalex thread starter macrumors member

I'm not worried about the mb going to 160F, he'll I'm not worried if it goes to 200F as long as my mb runs fine, but my concern started when menus started blanking out and the comp started stuttering. I'm wondering now if I was running out of memory for the mb to do that.

22. ryanfong macrumors member

Sorry to hijack the thread..
    Just curious is that normal my macbook reaches 63˚C when i was watching 720p video with Safari opened? Also is it normal it uses 25% ish CPU?
    Cheers!!

23. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

yes and yes in my experience.