Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

CPU Upgrade iMac Mid 2011

Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Ausdauersportler

macrumors 68000
Nov 25, 2019
Other that that, the integrated GPU is not used at all anywhere within MacOS. So "rarely" is the wrong term. There isn't a requirement for integrated GPU on this iMac, it simply happened to be there in the Intel 2nd generation chips.
This is simply not true. It serves for H.264 acceleration which is used by quite a lot apps...you might not use those. But the does not mean the iGPU is not used at all...

USB3foriMac

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2020
Singapore
This is simply not true. It serves for H.264 acceleration which is used by quite a lot apps...you might not use those. But the does not mean the iGPU is not used at all...
Thank you, I corrected my earlier post.
This is excellent information. I have not read about this earlier. Does this maybe point to the problem that exists with Xeons? Are Xeons identical in that aspect?

Ausdauersportler

macrumors 68000
Nov 25, 2019
Thank you, I corrected my earlier post.
This is excellent information. I have not read about this earlier. Does this maybe point to the problem that exists with Xeons? Are Xeons identical in that aspect?
Mojave and Catalina do no support the Sandy Bridge iGPU and to get it working you have to reinstall the High Sierra AppleGVA.framwork.

If the" iGPU less" Xeon CPU and the sleep problems would be caused by this AppleGVA.framework simply do not install it on Catalina or Mojave (just the HD3000 as mentioned on the GPU thread) and check yourself. High Sierra will expect on the 12,x an iGPU installed.

Reactions: USB3foriMac

StephN999

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2020
Cergy, France
Hello,

Updating the original firmware just for testing:
IME from 7.0.0.1193 to 7.1.80.1214
CPUID 206A3 to the latest version (the other MicroCodes are up to date).

Test tomorrow.

Lady Titan

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2020
Hello,

Updating the original firmware just for testing:
IME from 7.0.0.1193 to 7.1.80.1214
CPUID 206A3 to the latest version (the other MicroCodes are up to date).

Test tomorrow.
thank you very much! for not giving it up! this will help a lot! we are looking forward to the tests! thank you!

Reactions: StephN999

StephN999

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2020
Cergy, France
Bonjour,

Thanks for your support 😊, yesterday I tested the IME 8.0.4.1441 of the iMac 2012 (With my Xeon Sandy Bridge CPU), it seems to start (with a beep like in an official firmware update), no graphic card to help, but a priori no network at all, (tested with several blind systems).

I'll have to wait until I get a new graphic card to go further.

Too bad I don't have a real expert to help me, I'm at the end of the possible tests, it's frustrating.

I might have to change the eeprom by an extractable one because by dint of testing I might break the soldering (I broke 2 motherboards like that), if I can be informed about it!

Bonne journée.

Reactions: Lady Titan
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.