Crack of Light Leak along the Left Hand Side between the Bezel and Glass Screen!!!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FXT 1, Aug 4, 2009.

1. FXT 1 macrumors 6502

Hi

I noticed that my iPhone 3G (2nd replacement!!!) has a crack and obvious backlight leak along the left hand side, between the chrome bezel and glass screen, and is only noticeable in dark environments.

Should I be concerned???? Can it worsen?

I'm going into town soon and I might pass through the Apple Store there. Would it be something covered by warranty?

Cheers

P.S. I've already taken a look at some other posts. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=752209&highlight=iphone+3G+cracks+bezel+screen

On another note:
    What replacements are Apple handing out? If my phone DID need replacing would I get an iPhone 3G S ?:p:D;)

2. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Yes, Apple will replace it.

No, they will not upgrade your phone without you giving them a lot of money.

3. ant131531 macrumors member

What do you mean "back leak"? On my iPhone 3G S, i kinda have a gap between my bezel and my screen but it's cover by some black stuff...is that normal too?

4. FXT 1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Backlight leak. You can see the backlight shining through the crack in between. Obviously the adhesive they've used has come apart.

Perhaps from its constant overheating :rolleyes:

5. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Yeah. It's supposedly supposed to absorb impact from drops. Methinks it was a waste of money on their part.

6. ant131531 macrumors member

Wow, that sounds bad..definately take it back....maybe if they replace, if you pay them 199, they can give you iPhone 3G S?Idk.

Thi doesnt look like it will absorb impact from a drop lmao and i think its gunna eventually wear out...these types of phones only last for a set amount of time :p

7. samcraig macrumors P6

1) based on your title and !!! - I'd say you're already concerned - you don't need us to feel validated. :)

2) With the enormous amount of 3G iPhones both new and refurbished - why the heck would they give you a 3GS?

8. fr00b macrumors regular

My replacement from Apple has a rather large light leak coming from the left side as well, only noticeable in a dark room. Buy a case for your phone. I bought an Incase Slider, and it covers the light leak completely, as well as protecting the phone.

As for question 2, no, they would not replace with a 3GS.

9. dpw84 macrumors member

I had this issue multiple times before finally getting one that was fine. All I would do was take a pic of it when it was dark and load it onto the iPhone. Then when I took it to the Apple Store all I had to do was show them the pic and they would give me a replacement. I would be in and out in 5 minutes without a hassle.

10. FXT 1 thread starter macrumors 6502

They replace it straightaway? Should I wipe my phone etc first?

11. dpw84 macrumors member

Yeah they replaced it right away each time. Not sure if they would have replaced as quickly or at all if I didn't have a pic to show them how bad it was. I wiped mine and then put the photo of the light leak on the iphone to show them but they will do a wipe again when/if they replace it.