Cracked front glass...Iphone 4 (vzw)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by spacemanps, Aug 31, 2012.

1. spacemanps macrumors regular

spacemanps

So cracked my screen today, the screen still works but there is just this crack down the center. I have started to look up tutorials and screens/glass/digitizers... but im not sure which parts to get. Again, its just my glass, so im guessing just the glass but im not sure.

Any suggestions on where to go to order it. Ive seen prices of just the glass and digitizer for like 20, but then with the lcd it goes up to around 40. Wondering which route to go with this one..

2. MrGoober35 macrumors newbie

I just did the same to mine 2 weeks ago i went to http://phonedoctors.com and got my parts. Get the packaged deal that comes with the screw mat. It was $74 shipped.

3. Jasper84 macrumors regular

There's a groupon today for I fixit Today just a suggestion hope it helps

http://www.groupon.com/deals/i-phone-fix-com-1?

4. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

Today at the mall I watched a guy in one of those kiosks that sell smartphone cases change the faceplate on an iPhone. He did it in about 10 minutes or so.

5. spacemanps, Sep 2, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2012

spacemanps thread starter macrumors regular

spacemanps

So what do i need to order is the question... Do i need the front glass panel, digitizer, and LCD or just the digitizer and glass? You can get the glass on ebay for cheap but i dont know how the repair goes.

http://www.amazon.com/White-iPhone-...6649618&sr=1-15&keywords=iphone+4+front+glass

would that work?
    ----------

Thanks but thats for FL, and im in NYC. I have found a place in the city that will do it locally for 60.. ready within 30 min. but i sort of want to see if i can do it myself.

6. cableguy619 macrumors 6502

http://www.iphoneshopusa.com/en/

my buddies shop with videos of tear down, etc

----------

I can see a 3gs in 10 min-- a 4 into 20-30 min range. Alot of parts involved not just changing glass like a 3gs

7. spacemanps thread starter macrumors regular

spacemanps

8. spacemanps thread starter macrumors regular

spacemanps

any other suggestions on where to get a new front glass and/or whatever else i need?

9. Jasper84 macrumors regular

To be honest I have no idea lol. That's why I suggested to have someone do it for you, I was considering doing a color swap on my 4s. The back glass replacement looked very easy in the how to vids I watched on YouTube but the front for me was a lot more complex I don't trust my own ability to do a front replacement lol youtube has a lot of how to vids on the subject I'm a little afraid to open up a $850 4S and start taking out screws and logic boards

10. cableguy619 macrumors 6502

basical screw for screw map it out so you know where they go. you put the wrong screw in and crack goes your glass..

11. spacemanps thread starter macrumors regular

spacemanps

Any one have those maps that come with some one the kits which provide a mapping of where things came from.. I saw it in a tear down and the mat had magnets so you wouldnt loose the screens. I think just a print out of that would help me..

12. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Mission:Repair in Overland Park, KS is the place to go for Do-It-Yourself repairs or for Sending it in. They also have weekly specials & some parts have lifetime replacement warranties (if they replace it and you ever break it again, it gets fixed for free).

They're great guys with great service,
    wmt

13. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

I've broken my front glass a few times and repaired many of my friend's screens. It's like $30 on eBay. It's pretty easy.

14. spacemanps thread starter macrumors regular

spacemanps

Did you do the whole LCD assembly or just the glass and digitizer?

15. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Whole LCD and digitizer.