Cracked iPhone 3gs in the UK - what's o2's policy on this?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by haydn!, Jul 16, 2009.

1. haydn! macrumors 6502a

Hi, I've had my iPhone since launch last month and yesterday I noticed that a tiny hairline crack has a appeared between the silent switch and the screen bevel. It also looks as though several smaller ones are forming between the bevel and dock connector.

The phone has never been dropped and has been in eithe an iPod sock or case since day one!

I know that Apple recognize this as a known problem in the US but as I'm in the UK does anyone know what take O2 have on this? I know normally cosmetics are not covered by warranty, but this is known issue and after paying £200 little under a month ago, I'm less than impressed!!

2. alFR macrumors 68020

From what others have said on here, you should be able to get it replaced. If you're close to one, try an apple store over O2 - IME their customer service is better.

3. Aurial macrumors 6502

I agree with the above completely. Even if O2 agree to fix it, they'll send it away for repair rather than swap it on the spot which Apple would do.

4. alexboy45 macrumors regular

5. andy007 macrumors regular

I had the same problem with hair line cracks so I went to my local 02 store and they exchanged my iPhone there and then. I would say definitely give your local 02 shop a try if there is no Apple store near you.

6. MagicWok macrumors 6502a

O2 useless?

The very same day I bought my iPhone, I discovered a lump and chips on the back of my iPhone when i went home to activate. I popped over to Apple, and was told they can't do anything for me as I bought it from O2. Unbelievable, I felt like swearing at them, instead I just walked out and blanked their question for any more assistance.

Walked to the O2 shop, one look, and they replaced on the spot - and laughed at the Apple Store's 'policy'.

7. redshovel macrumors 6502

redshovel

Of course the Apple Shop could not do anything for you! You didnt buy the phone from the Apple Shop therefore you have no contract with the Apple Shop. You purchased the phone from O2, therefore your contract is with O2 and its up to them to sort out any problems. Thats basic consumer law - so you have no reason to be knocking the Apple Store!

8. alexboy45 macrumors regular

Ok My o2 store is useless. i went with a faulty iPhone. The mic had died. they said that they had to send it away for repair. i decided to fob them off and went to an apple store and with in 10 min of checks i have a nice shiney working replacement. you dont have to have purchased the phone from Apple. as long as it is in warranty and not void they will sort it out there and then

9. raymanster macrumors 6502

raymanster

What if I take out an Applecare warranty on my iPhone 3GS I bought from O2 online? Can I then take it to any Applestore? Or do i still need to send it back to O2?

10. redshovel macrumors 6502

redshovel

What you state is correct. Apple do provide a warranty for the product and must stand over it. However although Apple has manufactured the product you have purchased it from O2, therefore your contract is with them by law and its O2 that should by law handle all your problems/replacements etc. Depending on the age of the iphone O2 might also be within right to offer a repair rather than replacement (however I too would not be keen to have my iphone ripped apart and repaired - never mind the time and hassle it would cause me). I also think that if you do have a problem with an iPhone purchased in O2 you should just be able to bring it into an Apple Store for help - but legally they can just tell you to bring it back to Point of Sale, being O2, and fight it out there. Like a lot of things in life it depends not on store policy but on the person you get to deal with that day.

11. alexboy45 macrumors regular

i have used them twice. 1st for an original iPhone and the second for the 3g. i have also done the same for a couple of Office iphones and they have all been swapped out by apple with no questions on where i purchased them. the only time i think apple would send it away is if it was an obvious end user issue (Water damage, foot print on cracked screen).