Cracked iPhone 4, online repair or Apple?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pgudge, Mar 12, 2012.

1. pgudge macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have just dropped my beloved iPhone 4 (32GB Black) and cracked the front glass. The screen is fine and responds ok to touch etc. What should I do?

I am booked in at the Apple Store tomorrow, but I would need to restore my phone to 5.1 (as it s JailBroken) before I take it in, but I am not sure what they will offer (no warranty/care etc).

I have found a site (http://www.ipaqrepair.co.uk/) that offer a iPhone refurbish service, front/back glass metal frame and battery replacement for £110, which sounds great.

Does anyone have an idea what Apple might do/offer and are these online repair places any good? My insurance cover has an excess of £100 so will probably just pay for the repairs.

Thanks for any info.

PaulG.

2. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Rather than any of us take guesses as what they may do, why don't you go there and find out? You already have the apt and would learn much more in the 15 minutes there than you could here.

Once they have a look, they'll tell you your options... at that point, depending on what they say, it'd be a good time to come here and seek advice- when you know what's needed and the price options being offered by all. Until then, it's simply speculation.

3. pgudge thread starter macrumors newbie

Top stuff! thanks for the info. I think I will go to that appointment and find out what the crack is.

I've read around and it does sound like Apple sometimes do help folk out, it would have been nice to go in with a little information like if these online places are worth it. If Apple offer a repair for say £200 and the online places are 'not a good idea' might be worth just getting it done. I was hoping it would save me some time coming back and rebooking again (closest Apple Store is 30mins away).

Does anyone else have any experience with these online repair outlets?

4. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

An iPhone 4 will be replaced with a new one for £120 in an Apple Store using the out of warranty fee.

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s)

As above the will give u a brown box unit that'll be in as new condition! Don't waste 110 on something you will regret!

6. pgudge thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for delay, and yeah, they replaced for £119.99! Well worth the journey, and yes, I would have regretted the online solution.

He (Apple Genius) said, because our users can't be without their phones for too long, we offer a replacement for £119.99 or advise you to talk with your mobile network to see what they can offer.

I'm well happy with the outcome, thanks for all the info.