Cracked iPhone 5 screen

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by amrit64, Aug 12, 2013.

1. amrit64 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I cracked my iphone 5 screen today by accident, the screen is cracked but everything is still working like home button, microphone, volume buttons. I can still use the screen.

However I phoned up Apple about the problem and they said that I can either send in the phone to them and they will replace it with a brand new phone for around £180 or at the store instead.

I was thinking of going to mobile repairs shop to get it done since it would be cheaper but they said not to use them.

Anybody who broked a Apple product's screen before and got it repaired via Apple or third party? Since which is better, obv third party is cheaper but do they do the same job in terms of quality?

Thanks,
    Amrit64.

2. Brian Y macrumors 68040

If you go to a third party, it probably:

a) won't be an original apple display
    b) will be fitted by somebody who isn't qualified to do so
    c) doesn't have insurance if it goes wrong (they'll just make up an excuse that something else is wrong)

and it will render you unable to get any service from Apple, at all (even paid). If you take it to your local Apple store, they should be able to do a screen replacement there (I think it's £90). They've had screens for a while, although I have no idea what stock levels will be like.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Can an authorized Apple reseller repair the phone for you or does Apple prohibit that?

Apple is telling you not to use a third party because it will void your warranty (which is already voided anyway) and because they're not in the business of handing over work to another company.

You already voided your warranty so may as well let a repair shop do it. Worse case, you have to pay another £180 to get another phone.

4. amrit64 thread starter macrumors newbie

I bought the iphone in Oct 2012, which is it voided already, i thought it has 1 year warranty when you first purchase?

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You had a warranty until you dropped the phone. Unless you have Apple Care +.

6. amrit64 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, thanks for the info.

----------

Can I buy Apple care still for my iPhone, then get it fixed then under Apple care?

7. Oui macrumors 6502

Uhh, no you can't still buy apple care then swindle them into replacing your damaged phone nice try though.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Just pay to get another phone then you'll have a warranty.

haaha exactly.