Cracked iphone Help

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kayleighxx, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Kayleighxx macrumors newbie

Hi can anyone help, i dropped my iphone 4 from knee length and still managed to crack the back home case, phoned apple who says it would all have to be renewed and would cost me £119 in store and they would do it ehen im there. But my boyfriend says he could get the back of the home case off ebay and do it himself hes looked it up on you tube etc, do you think its safe to do this??

2. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

It is a pretty easy DIY fix. It does technically void your warranty though. So if you ever have to take the phone in for other issues, put the original back on before you take it in. Sounds a bit backwards, but it's the way to go.

3. ap3604 macrumors 68000

If it is the back glass then go to an apple store and get the back glass officially replaced for $29.

The guy you spoke to earlier on the phone was an idiot and doesn't know what he was talking about, he probably thought you meant that you cracked the front & back of the phone I assume?

Good luck, let us know how it goes :)

P.S. I wouldn't let your BF do the ebay thing since that could void your warranty (if you still have one) and its only $29 to get an official back glass replacement from Apple.

4. /user/me macrumors 6502

Should be as long as he knows what he's doing.

5. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Not clear from your post. Is crack happen in the back of the phone or the front?

1. It takes less than 2 minutes to replace the back. All you need is to unscrew the 2 screws at the bottom and take out the back case.

2. The front is a little more time. Took me a hour.

Either way, it is safe to do. Go to ifixit.com to get tutorial on how to do this.

6. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68030

ET iPhone Home

Super easy if it's only the black plate. Your just 2 screws and one new back plate away from getting your life back in order.

7. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

She is talking pounds here, so I assume she is in the UK. I know their Apple products cost more than a simple conversion rate would lead you to expect. Not saying you are wrong, but that may very well be what they are charging across the pond. I wouldn't know. :)