Cracked my 4S; have Applecare. What to do?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Maui19, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Maui19 macrumors regular

Today I dropped my (16g) 4S, and the back cracked. I have a screen protector on the back, so the damage is mostly cosmetic. I am due for an upgrade with ATT, so I was planning to trade this in for a 5S, thinking I would get the 5S for almost nothing due to the trade in credit. Now that the case is broken, I won't get nearly that much on the trade.

As far as I can tell, my options are:

1) Live with the phone as is

2) Pay $79 for the repair via Applecare and keep it

3) Pay $79 for the repair via Applecare and trade it in

4) Trade it in for a 5S as is (anyone have any idea what it's worth now?)

The 4S is really all the phone I need, but it would be nice to have a faster phone, fingerprint thingy and better camera.

Whaddya think?

2. jaseone, Oct 3, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2013

jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

It should only be $49 for the replacement under AppleCare+ for a 4S unless you bought it just before or after the launch of the 5S, which I doubt.

I have a suspicion that they pay much less for a trade in if you've had a replacement under AppleCare+ as my 5 that I replaced once under AppleCare+ was only quoted $253 where my wife's 4S was $220, both in great condition. With that in mind I would get the 4S replaced/fixed under AppleCare+ and then either keep it or sell it and pay the full upgrade cost for the 5S.

EDIT: Was my 5 quoted at $253 not 5S

3. freediverdude macrumors 6502a

Option 5. Get it replaced for $49 under Applecare+ and sell it to a third party for $200+, then go get a 5S.

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'm guessing that since the OP didn't say anything about Applecare+, they don't have it.

Either have it fixed and trade it in, or don't. Depends on what the quoted trade in prices are for a cracked vs non-cracked back.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

6. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Apple will replace the 4S back for about $29. Simple to do.

7. big samm macrumors 65816

This ^

8. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

the 4s back is so easy to replace just order one and do it yourself. even apples $29 is too expensive. its 2 screws.

9. Maui19 thread starter macrumors regular

Interesting. It is only $49 for accidental damage replacement/repair. It's $45 for the third party glass. I think Apple gets the nod on this one.

Thanks.

10. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

11. Maui19 thread starter macrumors regular

Refurb is on the way. I may keep it or sell it. Not sure which yet.

12. Joe323 macrumors newbie

I'm in the same situation except I just got my phone back from AppleCare. I'd like to get the phone unlocked first though before selling it. I'm using a loaner phone now. Do I need to activate the Applecared iPhone first before having AT&T unlock it?

13. silver8ack macrumors regular

Use AppleCare then sell it.

Then come back here and complain about AppleCare costing $79 to replace because of schmucks doing that.

14. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I don't know why people keep saying $79. That's clearly for the new iPhones. Logic will say that he's had AC+ for a while since he has a 4S and his contract says replacements cost $49. There's no way Apple can change that 2-year contract.

15. iRobby macrumors 6502a

iRobby

The same thing happened to me and my White iPhone 4S 64GB. I went in to the Apple store and wanted to swap via AppleCare for $49. They wouldn't let me. They said AppleCare wouldn't approve a swap because repairing the glass would be $20 cheaper.

So, since my contract was up like you, I simply had them repair my back glass and then I traded it it in for my Gold iPhone 5S 64GB.
    They gave me $205 for my iPhone 4S that was just repaired.

16. Charadis macrumors 6502a

As others have been saying, Apple can replace your 4s glass backplate at the Genius Bar in an Apple Store for only $29 (plus any applicable tax), and rest assured it is an official OEM part.

If you're grandfathered in for the old rate with AppleCare+, you could probably swap it in for a "new" refurb as well for only $30 more. Best of luck however you decide to proceed. Sent from my iPhone 5.

17. Maui19 thread starter macrumors regular

I checked the trade in value. An undamaged 4S like mine gets $200. A 4S that is damaged like mine gets $66.

I'll be trading mine as soon as my local store gets the 5S in stock.