Cracked My Screen - What you can expect...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mpapaj, Sep 28, 2012.

1. mpapaj macrumors newbie

Yup. I cracked my screen last night. Slipped out of my polyester Adidas track pants pocket. Albeit a shallow pocket. And right on to the concrete front step of my house. I did purchase Apple Care + on launch day, so $99+$49 later and I have a brand new replacement.
    I felt awful walking into the Apple Store tonight. No Genius Bar appointment, I found the manager (wearing a black shirt, not blue). Told him what happened and he set me up with someone immediately to do the swap. Backed up the broken phone over wi-fi through iCloud and it was as painless as possible. I said that I couldn't possibly be the first and the employee said, Nope. A girl came back after purchasing a phone on launch day--dropped it in the parking lot on the way to her car. No Apple Care, so she spent an additional $229 to replace a phone she owned for just 10 minutes. OUCH! Whether he was making the story up or it was actually true, didn't matter. I somehow felt a little better about the whole ordeal.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I wouldnt be surprised.
    People break and drop their stuff all the time.
    Even 10 minutes after they got it. Accidents do happen and with millions of iphones out there its not that far fetched.

3. close2reality macrumors 6502

4. close2reality macrumors 6502

There's a lot more to AppleCare+ then an extension of your original warranty. **** nuts.

5. mpapaj thread starter macrumors newbie

6. SomeDudeAsking macrumors 65816

Yes, there is: mathematical statistics where you are better off saving your money rather than waste it on the extended warranty and deductible. Ever wonder why all electronics stores try to upsell you on extended warranties like the AppleCare? It's because it is one of the largest profit makers for them since people don't understand the math.

Oh, looky here: I saved $150 by not wasting my money on an extended warranty.

7. Kirsten Hollerd macrumors newbie

Let's see...

AppleCare+ $99
    Replacement Fee $49

vs.

Non-covered iPhone 5 $229

So by your logic coming out $81 ahead means I can't do math?

BTW, I get two replacements for $49 under APP+ meaning that if I drop and shatter my phone a second time I'm ahead by $180. Enlighten us on how you figure one would be a "sucker" for buying APP+

8. SomeDudeAsking macrumors 65816

whoosh!

9. Ultimedia macrumors newbie

Well these phones are fragile but I don't think it's an iPhone 5 or an Apple problem. As long as phones are made from fragile materials these things can happen.

10. FieldingMellish Suspended

Applecare plus is especially necessary for carrying the phone naked.

11. GUCCIMAN macrumors regular

preach. (y)

12. MistaGavin macrumors member

MistaGavin

It's true, warranties are a huge money maker. When I used to work retail we were told that additional warranties added a lot to our bottom line because most people never even need them. So, I'll take my chances and skip the $150+ AppleCare+. Chances are, in several months screens will be available on eBay for <$50 and they will be easier than replacing one on an iPhone 4 (which really wasn't all that bad). But for those who like to break their phones on purpose to get new ones...I guess it makes sense for them.

13. SchuettS macrumors 6502

So you save $81 if you break it and have Applecare+ or you save yourself $99 if you don't get AppleCare and don't break it.

Only way I'd get this is if I'm very clumsy and have broken phones in the past (thankfully have not.... Yet).