Cracked out of the box on my new iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MSUSpartan, Sep 27, 2012.

1. MSUSpartan macrumors 6502

Just opened my new iPhone after waiting all day... and noticed a crack UNDER the glass immediately... sigh.

Attached Files:

2. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Why'd you drop it? :p

That sucks, though. Apple will take care of you, i'm sure.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Crack or scratch? Either way it sucks, I'm sure they'll take care of you.

4. MSUSpartan thread starter macrumors 6502

Looks like a crack... and I can't feel it on the surface so it's underneath the top layer (?) of glass.

5. ((= macrumors newbie

Bet some fanboys will comment and blame you droped it... Don't worry thinking is what they forgot over a time...

Good luck w/ replacement stage...

6. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Do you live near an apple store? They will replace it no questions asked.

7. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

8. MSUSpartan thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys. I'm in NYC... Genius Bar appt already made for the Grand Central store tomorrow.

I think I'm just bad luck or I'm too picky. I always find something with new Apple products.

9. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

You dont need a genius appointment for an exchange, they will tell you that when you go check in for your appointment... This is because you are within the 30 days of purchase, they have to just exchange it... don't waste your time with the appt, just go whenever. Ask me how I know :D

10. CanadaEh macrumors regular

Ouch, I'd be so pissed if mine came out the box like that. You should get it replaced no problem though

11. MSUSpartan thread starter macrumors 6502

They probably don't have any in stock though right? I don't really care if it's a white box replacement or a new sealed. From personal experience sealed boxes QC is not any better.

12. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

They will give you a new retail box... make sure you bring your box and accessories with you. The sales person will do the transaction, then you can inspect your new phone to make sure it is satisfactory... When I exchanged mine I said to my guy, "I hope this one is perfect"!. He replied with, "If it's not we get another one until you are satisfied". The first one was the ticket.

*ninja edit* you DO care if it is white box within the first 30 days... they mentioned this to me. They said that if I get a white box, I can no longer exchange the unit within the 30 days if I find another defect... in essence I would have to make a genius appt and go that route. Also, the serial numbers won't match the box :D

13. MSUSpartan thread starter macrumors 6502

Very true. Lucky for me the GC store opens at 7am, hopefully I can get this taken care of before work. Thanks guys!

14. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Sucks indeed.

Hope that you are able to get a replacement quickly without any hassle.

15. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Let us know how the store handled it and how you made out. Fingers crossed but I'm sure they will take care of you...

16. MSUSpartan thread starter macrumors 6502

Quick update... Apple of course took care of it no problem. Took two stores though and it was a white box replacement. Grand Central had neither white box nor retail units available. Fifth Ave only had white box units available. All in all, happy that it was taken care of, but it was still a waste of an hour and a half plus cab fare.