Cracked out of the box on my new iPhone 5

MSUSpartan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Just opened my new iPhone after waiting all day... and noticed a crack UNDER the glass immediately... sigh.

Attachments

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Crack or scratch? Either way it sucks, I'm sure they'll take care of you.

((=

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2012
Bet some fanboys will comment and blame you droped it... Don't worry thinking is what they forgot over a time...

Good luck w/ replacement stage...

MSUSpartan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Do you live near an apple store? They will replace it no questions asked.
Thanks guys. I'm in NYC... Genius Bar appt already made for the Grand Central store tomorrow.

I think I'm just bad luck or I'm too picky. I always find something with new Apple products.

nikhsub1

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
Thanks guys. I'm in NYC... Genius Bar appt already made for the Grand Central store tomorrow.

I think I'm just bad luck or I'm too picky. I always find something with new Apple products.
You dont need a genius appointment for an exchange, they will tell you that when you go check in for your appointment... This is because you are within the 30 days of purchase, they have to just exchange it... don't waste your time with the appt, just go whenever. Ask me how I know :D

MSUSpartan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
You dont need a genius appointment for an exchange, they will tell you that when you go check in for your appointment... This is because you are within the 30 days of purchase, they have to just exchange it... don't waste your time with the appt, just go whenever. Ask me how I know :D
They probably don't have any in stock though right? I don't really care if it's a white box replacement or a new sealed. From personal experience sealed boxes QC is not any better.

nikhsub1

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
They probably don't have any in stock though right? I don't really care if it's a white box replacement or a new sealed. From personal experience sealed boxes QC is not any better.
They will give you a new retail box... make sure you bring your box and accessories with you. The sales person will do the transaction, then you can inspect your new phone to make sure it is satisfactory... When I exchanged mine I said to my guy, "I hope this one is perfect"!. He replied with, "If it's not we get another one until you are satisfied". The first one was the ticket.

*ninja edit* you DO care if it is white box within the first 30 days... they mentioned this to me. They said that if I get a white box, I can no longer exchange the unit within the 30 days if I find another defect... in essence I would have to make a genius appt and go that route. Also, the serial numbers won't match the box :D

MSUSpartan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
They will give you a new retail box... make sure you bring your box and accessories with you. The sales person will do the transaction, then you can inspect your new phone to make sure it is satisfactory... When I exchanged mine I said to my guy, "I hope this one is perfect"!. He replied with, "If it's not we get another one until you are satisfied". The first one was the ticket.

*ninja edit* you DO care if it is white box within the first 30 days... they mentioned this to me. They said that if I get a white box, I can no longer exchange the unit within the 30 days if I find another defect... in essence I would have to make a genius appt and go that route. Also, the serial numbers won't match the box :D
Very true. Lucky for me the GC store opens at 7am, hopefully I can get this taken care of before work. Thanks guys!

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
Sucks indeed.

Hope that you are able to get a replacement quickly without any hassle.

MSUSpartan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Let us know how the store handled it and how you made out. Fingers crossed but I'm sure they will take care of you...
Quick update... Apple of course took care of it no problem. Took two stores though and it was a white box replacement. Grand Central had neither white box nor retail units available. Fifth Ave only had white box units available. All in all, happy that it was taken care of, but it was still a waste of an hour and a half plus cab fare.