Cracked screen iPhone 4. Worth $149 fix fee for 3 mos (until iPhone 5)?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zub3qin, Jul 21, 2012.

1. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

I have an iPhone 4 16GB that I managed to keep intact without any case for over 2 years.... until yesterday.
    I dropped it and the front glass is cracked in many areas. BUT it is completely functional.

I plan on getting the iPhone 5 in a couple of months.

1) Is it worth it to pay Apple $149 for the replacement/repair iPhone 4?
    It seems that as of today, ebay instant sale is offering $193 for a like-new iPhone 4. I'm hoping that offer remains when iPhone 5 is released.

2) OR is it better to live with it as is (not a problem for me- I put on a clear screen cover and it is fine), and try to sell it on Gazelle for $70 (what they are offering now) when iPhone 5 comes out.

Thanks for your opinions.....

2. Alameda macrumors 6502a

Alameda

Just keep it as-is. It gives you a great excuse to get in line and be the first to upgrade. Then sell it used to somebody else who will pay the $149. You will get more money selling it with a cracked screen than if you spend the $149.

The only reason for spending the $149 is if you want to give the iPhone 4 to a family member. Also, you might want to get a repair cost from 1-800-WEFIXMACS. They might be cheaper.

3. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Just FYI, I've had great experience with MissionRepair outside of Kansas City, KS. They offer iPhone4 glass repair for $99 now (+ shipping). There's nothing in it for me; just wanted to give you another option.

iPhone 4 Front Glass Repair

4. ann713 macrumors 6502a

Look around for local iPhone repair shops. I've found a few in my area through Craig's List, some for as low as $50.

5. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

With so many iPhones everywhere, the independent repair shops usually have lots of experience. In my area they use high quality parts, do a great job, and only charge $40 for the kind of repair you need.

My wife drops hers rather frequently. I've had it repaired three times, the last time he only charged me for parts. It's a far better choice than going to Apple.

6. TJ5921 macrumors regular

The only problem is if you choose the wrong place they could screw it up during the fix, void your warranty with apple, and potentially break the phone completely. If this happens they're not liable and you still have to pay the service charge. Sounds a little risky being stuck with a brick.

7. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

If you can live with it, you stand to lose less money that way than paying the $150 to get it fixed and then selling it 3 months later.

8. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

That's one way to flip a positive to a negative.

Think negatively, think the worst, and with some luck you'll be right :)

9. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

This is what I would do. If the screen is still functional, I would rather deal with it until the new one comes out.

And as others have mentioned, an independent repair shop is a good option. I had a faulty home button replaced on my iPhone 3GS for $75. It worked perfectly afterward.

10. byziphone4 macrumors member

I say it is worth the price. Think about it. You are going to get a new iPhone for the price of $150! Yeah so what if it is refurb. It is going to be in a brand new condition-like state! I have a similar issue right now too. My iphone 4 became water damaged by me trying to fix a issue I had with the home button. Well now the phone doesnt work the same...took it to Apple said it is water damaged and that it would cost $150 for a replacement. When time gets closer to the iphone 5 launch, I will replace the iphone 4 and give my wife a brand new working iphone 4.

Without any problems to the iPhone you could never get a new iPhone at that price! So yes worth it! Plus it will a good addition as a backup phone if something happens to your new iPhone 5!

11. alexander25 macrumors regular

not worth it at all, just go on craigslist and find someone to fix it for you for ~$50

12. chokem macrumors 6502

I agree. I know a guy here locally that replaces screens for $60. Also, if you get it fixed obviously it will bring more money on resale. I always sell my current model to defer upgrade price of a new one.