Cracked screen, replace w/ different color (Pictures included)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by adamvk, Aug 26, 2013.

1. adamvk, Aug 26, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2013

adamvk macrumors 65816

adamvk

So today my iPhone 5 slipped out of my hands and fell on the ground. I wasn't even worried since I've done this a few times, and my case has always protected it. I wasn't as lucky this time apparently.

Anyways, I can get the glass replaced for $150 from Apple, however as you can see in the pictures the aluminum got slightly bent. Are they going to be able to replace the glass if the aluminum body has been compromised? It's just slightly dented.

If I can't fix it for $150 and have to pay $229 for a replacement, can I switch colors? I'd like to get a Black 5 if I have to buy a new one anyways.

Otherwise I'm thinking maybe I'll just buy the 5S/5C without a contract and sell my 5. But that could get pricey. Not sure.

Thanks for any help/suggestions!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

The aluminum doesn't look bent, just scuffed on the edges. Shouldn't affect the screen replacement.

But heck, for 80 bucks more, I'd rather just get a brand new phone.

3. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Yea...I was kind of leaning towards spending the extra money and getting a new phone, but with the 5S right around the corner it's hard to decide.

4. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

Well, if your phone is in mint condition it'll have better resell value as well. Just a thought.

Just be sure not to drop it again though! :p

5. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Does anyone know if you can swap colors when you buy the "replacement" iPhone for $229?

6. TsuaSai macrumors 6502

From everything I have read on here I don't think you can. Only way you could get black is if they were out of white I think.

7. CHMK macrumors regular

u can't. they have a like for like replacement program so they dont get scammers who jsut want a different color when theres nothing wrong with their phone... are u really getting the 5s? most people i know skip a 'generation' when getting a new phone.

just pay the $80 more , a brand new phone has better battery life, etc...

the aluminium does look quite bent too. it would drive me crazy. im one of those people. :)

8. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Ah I suppose that makes sense. I might get the 5S, not sure. I'm on a family plan so one of the lines does have an upgrade. I just need to see if that person wants a new phone any time soon.

And I'm also one of "those" people that obsesses over my gadgets. So the bent aluminum will drive me crazy. :)

9. stormchaser macrumors 6502

stormchaser

The wife's iPhone 4 had a smashed screen and we paid for a replacement and asked for a Black one and we were given one.