Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
I thought the policy to replace iPhones with a cracked display was to replace the display vs giving out replacements? I broke my screen today while getting out of a cab forgetting the phone was in my lap and went to the Apple store today after work to get it replaced under Apple Care Plus. Went in figuring they would just replace the screen but to my delight they offered a new device. I A) didn't want to wait until the fixed it and B) since it was banged up and didn't care about the lost of data I took the new device. In the end though was the rep correct in offering a new device or was just being nice?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I thought the policy to replace iPhones with a cracked display was to replace the display vs giving out replacements? I broke my screen today while getting out of a cab forgetting the phone was in my lap and went to the Apple store today after work to get it replaced under Apple Care Plus. Went in figuring they would just replace the screen but to my delight they offered a new device. I A) didn't want to wait until the fixed it and B) since it was banged up and didn't care about the lost of data I took the new device. In the end though was the rep correct in offering a new device or was just being nice?
It depends on the Apple store.

If the store has the capacity and capability to swap a display out they will do so. If they do not, they will replace the phone. Sounds like your Apple store does not have that capability yet.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
It depends on the Apple store.

If the store has the capacity and capability to swap a display out they will do so. If they do not, they will replace the phone. Sounds like your Apple store does not have that capability yet.

I live in NYC and I went to the one on Fifth ave where it's open 24/7... It has the capability. HE even offered to do it lol.
[doublepost=1461467263][/doublepost]
How much they charge you?
It's not standard policy, more like a courtesy and whatever is easier to both apple and you.

$79.99 + Sales tax since it was under Apple Care +
[doublepost=1461467327][/doublepost]
Tempered glass. No excuse for a cracked screen.

I will never buy one.... I have in the past and always take them off in two to three days. Actually have a Zagg laying around somewhere which I bought for my 6 Plus a few months ago laying somewhere which I took off.

Reactions: eyoungren
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.