Cracks and Damage To Palm-rest. Warranty-Worthy?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by GJBlues, Oct 28, 2008.

1. GJBlues macrumors newbie

Hello All!

I'm a brand-spanking new forum member, especially for this question.

I've recently (read: today) noticed small cracks and damage to the plastic of the palm-rest on my Feb2008 Macbook. As the pictures below show, it's above the sleep light & IR, and a small piece has now actually broken off.

Damage is evident on the lefthand side of the rest too, and it's presumably being caused by the little raised bar-like protrusions on the lid that stop it closing completely.

My question: Is this worth trying to get dealt with on the warranty? I infrequently close the lid, and so it seems surprising that they've appeared so soon. Seeing as I only bought the laptop on Feb 27th it's well within warranty, and I wouldn't count this as plain wear&tear, would you?

Also, how should I do it? Phone / Email? or just take it in?

And finally, assuming they do, how do you think they'll deal with it?

Thanks for your help.

GJB.

Attached Files:

• a.JPG
      a.JPG
      File size:
      79.5 KB
      Views:
    • b.JPG
      b.JPG
      File size:
      72.8 KB
      Views:
    • d.JPG
      d.JPG
      File size:
      62 KB
      Views:
    • c.JPG
      c.JPG
      File size:
      64.6 KB
      Views:
  2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

That's exactly where my palm rest cracking was. You can call up Apple Care or take it in store. I had my upper case replaced in store.

3. geerlingguy macrumors 6502a

geerlingguy

First off, welcome! Glad to have you here.

You should probably call Apple, or, if you bought it in a store, go ahead and schedule a Genius Bar appointment. Their policy is to usually not fix this kind of damage under warranty (you'd be charged, typically), HOWEVER, it's worth a try if the look is annoying to you, because I've seen this same problem on other plastic MacBooks as well.

They would end up having to replace the top surface of the computer, which isn't the hardest thing in the world to do, but you'd have to part with your computer for a few days, at least.

4. rocksyluv macrumors newbie

Return it!

Definitely exchange it if its within the warranty. That crack is too noticeable and Macs are expensive. I'd say call them first and then take it in.

5. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Apple is well known to fix this issue, even if not under warranty.

6. GJBlues thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, interesting to see that it's happened to others.

Do you think the fact that they've renewed the macbook range will matter? Will the still be able to replace it?

Also, you don't think there's any chance of charming them into a new 'GlassBook' (urgh... that felt crass) do you?

Hmmm...

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

They were selling only the plastic MacBooks until a few weeks ago and they still ship the 2.1 GHz WhiteBook. Apple has the parts for plenty of upper case replacements.

I was lucky and the repair was done in 40 minutes in store. My friend lost his laptop for nearly 3 weeks until Apple found it in their support system for the same repair.

8. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

The repair takes 15 minutes for them to do, the chance is very slim of getting a replacement at all, and if you would, it would be a White MB. The new uppercase is much more sturdy, and is a lot less prone to cracking (I've used a 2006 MacBook and the difference is really noticeable).

9. GJBlues thread starter macrumors newbie

Always worth a try, eh?

Good news about the fast repair.

Oh, I'm in the UK. Any fellow brits with advice?

10. kwissylawrencek macrumors member

Exact same thing has just happened to me. I just called up then and got it covered by customer satisfaction. So even though my Macbook is out of its warranty period, im still getting it repaired for free.

11. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Yes, this seems to have been a problem with macbooks from the get go. It happened to mine and they replaced it for me. It was no trouble at all. Actually, I think this problem is more widespread than is some think. I know a number of MB owners who have had this problem, but just never bothered to get it fixed.

12. GreenEyed85 macrumors member

Yeah, It happened to me 2x I got it fixed the first time but it took a month

13. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

That crack first appeared on my wife's MacBook about 3 weeks ago. Never noticed it before then she mentioned it to me. I'm going to take it in to the Apple Store next week.

Are the replacement cases designed any better or is this something we can expect to happen again after being fixed?

14. Lee1404 macrumors newbie

I brought two MacBooks last year, both developed the same cracking, took both units back to Apple Store Regent St. After a quick consultation they fitted new Palmrest/Keyboards within the hour. This is clearly a common fault but happy that Apple fixed it. My Machines are out of Warranty in 3 days, made me think twice about AppleCare :eek: