Craigslist Advice iphone 5 16 gb 650

Raunien

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 3, 2011
Hi all,

I am currently about to purchase a att iphone 5 for 650$. Can anyone tell me if this is a good deal or not and what precautions i should take?

cngrevolution

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2008
Meet the person in public and just check it out. Make sure it's what's it's supposed to be. Never buy anything from Craigslist and have it shipped. Always meet in a public place and maybe bring a friend along just to be safe.

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
Brand new in retail box?

Why not just get it from Apple for a little extra since you are already spending they much $ then you know you are getting a no qualms solid warranty protection and stuff?

stayblunted

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2012
Hi all,

I am currently about to purchase a att iphone 5 for 650$. Can anyone tell me if this is a good deal or not and what precautions i should take?
Meetup in a public area, preferably where you know security or cameras are around. Make sure to bring a friend or two (somebody else in the background just in case something wrong happens). Have him turn on the device if it's charged and aspect it so it's to your liking.

Raunien

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 3, 2011
Thanks for the responses everyone. What kinds of things should I let att check that I can't check myself?

Ivabign

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2011
SoCal
Anyone selling a new sealed iPhone 5 is going to have a receipt - I have either supplied a copy of a receipt (pertinent info redacted) or received one for every new item I have ever purchased on Craigslist - if he can't come up with one - it could be stolen, bad ESN or any of a number of bad outcomes.

Raunien

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 3, 2011
Hmm that's interesting. The person I'm buying from bought it brand new from another person on craigslist so I'm guessing he's not going to have a receipt.

I'm planning on checking the serial number and the imei with relevant databases

Ivabign

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2011
SoCal
Hmm that's interesting. The person I'm buying from bought it brand new from another person on craigslist so I'm guessing he's not going to have a receipt.

I'm planning on checking the serial number and the imei with relevant databases
I've seen the prices of iPhone 5's on Craigslist - there isn't enough markup @ $650 to go through 2 levels of buyers and sellers - there is something odd here.

jca24

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2010
DFW
Hi all,

Several people have already told you not to buy this phone off c-list. One more here, you are a FOOL to buy that phone!

Raunien

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 3, 2011
Alright, I'm going to take your word for it and not buy it. Thanks guys

Six8

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2012
Earth
Meet at a AT&T store and verify that it's legit. Throw a pistol in your waste band too just in case :D

fenskezen

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2011
Wirelessly posted

At worst, it's a scam. At best, you are paying a lot for a phone you can get at the store for a little more with a warranty. What gives????

troy14

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2008
Las Vegas (Summerlin), NV
Alright, I'm going to take your word for it and not buy it. Thanks guys
Although you already made the decision, I believe it was the right one. I was about to do a similar thing when I thought about the potential of the buyer having insurance (through carrier which includes loss/theft), selling you the phone, and then reporting it as stolen. They pay $200 or whatever their deductible is for the new one, but they are making $$ profit as well.

I'm not sure if that's 100% possible or not, it's theoretical. But the Verizon store I called couldn't really give me a straight understandable answer. That settled my case and I just got it directly through Apple instead.

fenskezen

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2011
Wirelessly posted

brand said:
Wirelessly posted

At worst, it's a scam. At best, you are paying a lot for a phone you can get at the store for a little more with a warranty.
The phone would still have a warranty.
I honestly did not realize the warranty would transfer to a new buyer. Would buyer 3 need a sales receipt or just tale it in? ( learn something new every day)
:eek:

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Wirelessly posted

I honestly did not realize the warranty would transfer to a new buyer. Would buyer 3 need a sales receipt or just tale it in? ( learn something new every day)
:eek:
No receipt or documents required for apple warranty. It goes by the serial number only so you could have a phone that has passed through like 5 different owners and still get a warranty replacement if there is something wrong with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.