Craigslist Advice iphone 5 16 gb 650

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Raunien, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Raunien macrumors 6502

Hi all,

I am currently about to purchase a att iphone 5 for 650$. Can anyone tell me if this is a good deal or not and what precautions i should take?

2. cngrevolution macrumors member

Meet the person in public and just check it out. Make sure it's what's it's supposed to be. Never buy anything from Craigslist and have it shipped. Always meet in a public place and maybe bring a friend along just to be safe.

3. cababah macrumors 68000

Brand new in retail box?

Why not just get it from Apple for a little extra since you are already spending they much $ then you know you are getting a no qualms solid warranty protection and stuff?

4. stayblunted macrumors member

Meetup in a public area, preferably where you know security or cameras are around. Make sure to bring a friend or two (somebody else in the background just in case something wrong happens). Have him turn on the device if it's charged and aspect it so it's to your liking.

5. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Meet person at an AT&T store to get it checked out.

6. Raunien thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the responses everyone. What kinds of things should I let att check that I can't check myself?

7. Ivabign macrumors 6502

Ivabign

Anyone selling a new sealed iPhone 5 is going to have a receipt - I have either supplied a copy of a receipt (pertinent info redacted) or received one for every new item I have ever purchased on Craigslist - if he can't come up with one - it could be stolen, bad ESN or any of a number of bad outcomes.

8. Raunien thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm that's interesting. The person I'm buying from bought it brand new from another person on craigslist so I'm guessing he's not going to have a receipt.

I'm planning on checking the serial number and the imei with relevant databases

9. brand macrumors 601

brand

You believe that? It sounds stolen.

10. Ivabign macrumors 6502

Ivabign

I've seen the prices of iPhone 5's on Craigslist - there isn't enough markup @ $650 to go through 2 levels of buyers and sellers - there is something odd here.

11. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

Several people have already told you not to buy this phone off c-list. One more here, you are a FOOL to buy that phone!

12. Raunien thread starter macrumors 6502

Alright, I'm going to take your word for it and not buy it. Thanks guys

13. Six8 macrumors 65816

Six8

Meet at a AT&T store and verify that it's legit. Throw a pistol in your waste band too just in case :D

14. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

You made the right choice.

15. fenskezen macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted

At worst, it's a scam. At best, you are paying a lot for a phone you can get at the store for a little more with a warranty. What gives????

16. brand macrumors 601

brand

The phone would still have a warranty.

17. tito2020 macrumors 6502a

Pistol he or she will laugh at you and think your a cowboy lol.

18. troy14 macrumors 6502a

Although you already made the decision, I believe it was the right one. I was about to do a similar thing when I thought about the potential of the buyer having insurance (through carrier which includes loss/theft), selling you the phone, and then reporting it as stolen. They pay $200 or whatever their deductible is for the new one, but they are making $$ profit as well.

I'm not sure if that's 100% possible or not, it's theoretical. But the Verizon store I called couldn't really give me a straight understandable answer. That settled my case and I just got it directly through Apple instead.

19. fenskezen macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted

I honestly did not realize the warranty would transfer to a new buyer. Would buyer 3 need a sales receipt or just tale it in? ( learn something new every day)
    :eek:

20. Mr Hill macrumors 6502

No receipt or documents required for apple warranty. It goes by the serial number only so you could have a phone that has passed through like 5 different owners and still get a warranty replacement if there is something wrong with it.