CRAP BAGS. Waiting on the iPhone 5, but my phone is totally dead, get a 4 now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mikegaudiello, Aug 17, 2011.

1. mikegaudiello macrumors newbie

Pretty much what it says on the tin. My phone is completely messed (Android phone, heavily hacked but I'm very skilled at ROM/Root stuff) and for the past 3 days I haven't been able to get it booted again.

I'd been waiting on the iPhone 5 (got an iPad, loved it, so now I want the phone), given that I don't have a working smartphone ATM, but I need one pretty much daily for work, should I just get the iPhone 4 now and just say the hell with it? I had no problems waiting given that I had a working device, but now that I don't... not sure what to do...

2. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Get the crappiest blackberry/smartphone you can buy on craigslist and tough it out till the 5. It'll be worth it.

3. mikegaudiello thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm... that's a thought.. I wonder if I could snag a cheap 3G or EDGE iPhone and just use it until the 5 hits... I'm so murderously tired to wrestling with all these hacks.. hopefully I won't scramble an iPhone with jailbreak stuff the same way lol.

4. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

The iPhone jailbroken is STILL a more stable device than any Android phone, rooted or not.

5. mikegaudiello thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, believe it or not, I've never had a problem with any of my Android phones until this week with this Nexus One. I'm not positive it's even a software related issue, but still, I think I'll prefer the iPhone 5 to anything in the Android pipeline. I already have universal iOS apps for the iPad, so it seems like the way to go. I would just get another Android phone but EVERYTHING that's being made now is 4"+ and gigantic. No Bueno.

6. AdrianK macrumors 68020

I'd suggest getting a 2G iPhone. Even if it's not unlocked, it's a simple process and unlike the 3G/3G/4, all 2Gs can be unlocked.

7. ..-. macrumors newbie

Buy a used iPhone on ebay or some other site. Then when you get the 5 resell the used one you bought. It would probably have some amount of value left on it more or less similar to what it had when you bought it. I don't think an iPhone 5 availability would affect the unlocked/used 3GS or 4 market place as the people buying them aren't probably looking for a 5.

Just a thought.

8. Mademan12321 macrumors 6502

You can go with these options instead of killing off your upgrade. I'm guessing the new iPhone will be out within 1 1/2 - 2 months from now.

1. Get a go phone. You can nab one at Walmart or Fry's anywhere between $5 and $55 pending on the phone. Pair it up with a 3rd generation touch for $100 - $120 if you just have too

2. Grab an iphone 3g or lower. You can grab one off of craigslist for around $80 - $150 on average. I wouldn't burn more than $200 for a 3GS if you have to get one.

I say just go with option 1 and rough it out. You will sure as hell appreciate your phone when it gets here. I sold my iPhone 4 32GB last week for$560 while the getting was good. Right now I have a 1.3 megapixel nokia flip phone to hold me over. :(

9. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Personally this is what I'd do in this situation since the release is supposedly sooooooo close.

10. mikegaudiello thread starter macrumors newbie

Welp, I wound up fixing the phone. Turns ot when someone on XDA says "make a backup before you install this mod", you should. Luckily I did, so I didn't lose any info once I finally broke down and wiped/re-flashed. Back to waiting on the iP5 (and subsequently, a Pioneer AppRadio)!

11. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

You can get an unlocked GSM phone on Amazon for around $30. I'm sure once you are done w/ it after the iPhone4s/5 arrives you could sell it for about what you paid.

12. twitt3r macrumors 6502

Bit of an oxymoron there...

Just get a cheap, crap phone from somewhere to tide you over until iPhone 5 launches. Beats me how people seem to no longer be able to survive without a smartphone these days.

13. mikegaudiello thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, well allow me to explain myself then:

1 - I need a smartphone FOR WORK. I can survive on a personal level without it, but my job would suffer. Not sure how you missed that.

2 - The phone is having HARDWARE issues where it cannot read the MSD card. Since all of my stuff is on EXT4 (to overcome the Nexus One's internal storage limits), it cannot boot with established settings, which essentially means it won't start. The phone will boot to a factory restored state (which I why I back it up nightly). I didn't expect to need to explain this on an Apple board where people either wouldn't care, or wouldn't be familiar with the ins and outs of this sort of stuff. My device has short-comings, hence why I'm ready to REPLACE it.

3 - These screwups with Android 2.3 and EXT4 solutions are well documented, and it's a risk that I'm willing to take because the N1 internal memory maxes out after about 70 apps, even moved to SD. These internal memory limits are one of the reasons I'm moving on from Android. It has very little to do with my "skill", especially coupled with hardware failure and inherent limitations.

Wow, is this the kind of thing I can expect from this forum? I guess I'll just head right back out then.

14. mrockm01 macrumors regular

mrockm01

To jump in here. Some jobs that didn't NEED a smartphone before they existed are now practically impossible without one now because it is assumed everyone can be contacted instantly... and that means he would be at an enormous disadvantage without one.

And about the original problem, do the used on craigslist/ebay option. I would sell you mine, but it would be more trouble than it is worth

15. Mavrack, Aug 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2011

Mavrack macrumors member

Mavrack

OP I would suggest for basic smartphone needs buy a old used Blackberry Bold 9700 or a Blackberry Curve 3G of cragslist. If that's not good enough try to get an old used iPhone 3G for around $150 off cragslist. Hope that helped.

16. jonrando macrumors 6502a

How about the new Nexus S?

17. mikegaudiello thread starter macrumors newbie

I found the NS to be quite poor, not much of an upgrade from the original Nexus One. No expandable storage (I'd want a 32GB iPhone for what that's worth), poor camera, PenTile display (the worst thing by far about the Nexus One).

Plus I think I'm just done with Android. I test Android and Android apps full time at work, and seeing the apps that come in to the Market; viruses, spammed with ads, apps that run poorly, apps that compromise private data - I've just had enough. Not to mention the better app selection on iOS. Honestly the only thing keeping me happy with Android is Google Music coupled with the system-wide DSP EQ in Cyanogenmod.

Honestly that's the only thing I'll miss about Android, the damn equalizer lol.

18. Chris. macrumors regular

I'd recommend an iPhone 3G, downgrade/keep iOS 3.1.3 (iOS 4 doesn't perform well on the 3G). Then sell it.

19. Harsh.Realm macrumors newbie

Why not use ipad as phone?

I have the cancelable $25 data plan for ipad and am very happy with the free app below that lets me earn free voice minutes.

bluetooth headphone/microphone that u can use with you're phone too and you're all set

pinger textfree with voice

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/textfree-with-voice/id399355755?mt=8

:)

20. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Either your guessing, hate the competition, or you've had bad luck with one.

I've been enjoying both iPhones and Androids equally.

No jailbreaking, no rooting, just good fun. But then again I'm not biased one way or the other, it's much more enjoyable that way. Each of these platforms have their Pro's & Cons.

I choose to enjoy their strengths & overlook the minor stuff. No phone is perfect. It'd be pretty boring if that was the case. There's nothing quite like the best of both worlds.

21. greenchiliman macrumors 6502

Why would you hack a phone if you need it for work? It's as bad as the MPB forum where people loose all their data then say they are screwed for work without it. Luckily for you, unlike most of them, you made a backup that saved your @$$.

22. shortys408 macrumors regular

Read the reviews for appradio first. Users are calling it crappradio.