Crawn2003, you just moved to California, what will you do now? *Updated w/ stories!*

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Crawn2003, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Crawn2003 macrumors 6502

I'm at Disneyland!!

Well, after a series of events anyways!

My wife's grandmother (who is 81) decided she wanted to go to Disneyland one last time in case she passes away. What's really cool is that she decided she wanted to do something special for my wife and I and invited us along with my mother-in-law.

Everything is going great. I really like my mother-in-law and her mother but we had a hell of a time today. We're supposed to meet my wife's grandma at the hotel.

We arrived in Long Beach around 1:30 p.m. and took a taxi to the hotel. The driver dropped us off at the wrong hotel. Figures but okay. We walk to California Adventure Hotel (I think is what it's called) and try to find my wife's grandmother. She isn't there. Nor is the reservation there at that hotel or any of the other three hotels in the Disneyland park. Okay, fine now what?

We find out that grandma is lost somewhere at one of the three hotels. We can't find a reservation because grandma's nephew had reserved the rooms for the wrong day. March 4-9 not March 8-12. $@#!

Okay so grandma is lost, we have no reservation, and I'm running on empty because I haven't eaten all day and I'm exhausted. We manage to get a hold of a family member that manages to get a hold of grandma. She's at the Disneyland Hotel. Okay. Good. We found her.

BUT grandma had left her wallet in the cab... (Insert me banging head against wall) Well luckily the driver had seen this and was on his way back to return it. After a while he arrives we get the wallet back and go to the front desk. They only have one room left. A double queen room...

(still banging my forehead against wall)

We take it. Get upstairs and head out. End of story for now at least. I'm hoping tomorrow is uneventful as we head for the actual park.

But I'm excited. Can't wait to jump on the Indiana Jones ride, the Star Tours ride, and Splash Mountain. Among others!

Exhausted. I'm outta here.

~Crawn

2. furious macrumors 65816

furious

Just think. Tomorrow you will be laughing your head off about the event of today. :D

3. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Is that not where Cupertino is (California, not Diseny Land :D)? If so, you should quickly check out 1 Infanate Loop before you go!

4. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

No doubt you will have more adventures to report. I'll watch this thread!

5. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

Unfortunately, Cupertino is a good 370+ miles away from Long Beach (or Anaheim, where Disneyland is).

Crawn2003: welcome to socal! I hope you enjoy the rest of your stay after a bumpy start. :)

6. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

OK then, im from the UK so have no idea where anything in the States is :p

I mesread what you put there at first, I thought you put the Zune slogan! Glad I was just misreading!

7. Crawn2003 thread starter macrumors 6502

It's long, but worth it, sorry!

Okay... I'm now back in the North Bay after a great time at Disneyland... Well, mostly great time.

First off though, let me get something straight. Grandma isn't that nice. She's a mean, demanding, impatient little old lady that isn't happy. Basically misery loves company. This isn't a generalization or being on the outside of the looking glass, looking in. I was warned, and experienced before now, that is how Grandma is. It's just how she is.

Our day on Sunday started out early. We left with Grandma to Disneyland. She wanted to get money out of the ATM. Okay, fine, great. We head out towards Downtown Disney. Grandma stops at a locker place and puts her belongings in it. We get to the ATM and she announces that she left her cards in her purse in the locker. Fine, so my wife and I go and get the card she describes, green and white. Take it back. It isn't the right one. Imagine that. We go back again, get another one, and take it back. Still not the right one. So we get ticked off and say we're not going back again without her. We get there and it's not even in her purse!! :mad: It was in her pocket the whole time!

We go to breakfast and start our day. The problem we kept having though was that even though we would be up and out of the hotel by 9 a.m. we wouldn't get on a ride until after 1 p.m. because how indecisive Grandma was intentionally being. It goes fine until we get on the train to go around Disneyland. My wife and I sit in the upper seats and grandma and my mother-in-law sit to the side in the next row forward. We're riding along when all of a sudden my wife pokes me and says to look at grandma. Grandma is slumping sideways and it looks like she isn't breathing! Both of us freak out because here we are at Disneyland (and my first time) and we think Grandma has croaked on us. Of all places, in the middle of Disneyland. The train makes a stop and Grandma sits up and we breath a sigh of relief.

Now mind you, we don't walk fast - my wife, mother-in-law, or I. So we're walking along and we have to keep making sure that Grandma is near us. She acts like she's broken and can't do anything, which is just an act. How do we know this? She'll be walking really slow but she'll see a Churros stand or water stand and ZOOM she's walking faster than all three of us combined! I don't know how many times she disappeared and we had to go find her, lol! It was like hide and seek.

We constantly ask her, because she is paying for almost everything, what do you want to do? What do you want to go on? But she won't answer us or does a *sigh* I don't know.... *sigh* thing. We finally coax her on some rides and she "kinda" has fun. We're happy about that because it keeps her active and from complaining too much.

Around 3-4 p.m. she gets tired and wants to go back to the hotel. We're okay with that (for more than one reason) and say okay we'll take you to the monorail to go back. She does the whole wounded/hurt of "I thought we were all going back". My mother-in-law, Mary (love her to death too! She's awesome!) says no mom, you can get back to the hotel fine but we'd like to stay and get on the rides you didn't/couldn't ride. Wow, that was a mistake later... Grandma goes home and we have a really great time for the rest of the day.

We get back around midnight or so and get ready for bed. Grandma comes over and knocks on the door. Mary answers the door and lets Grandma in. Mary asks her why she's up and not in bed resting for tomorrow. Grandma's response is *long sigh* I'm lonely.... *sigh, sigh, sigh* We offered earlier in the day when she left to go back to come back and get her but she refused (she's the type that you're supposed to know what she wants and she doesn't want to ask for it!). She goes back to her room but not before we ask her what time she wants to get up and go the next day. Her response was "I don't! I want to get up the day after tomorrow!" We take that as we're not leaving at 9 a.m. My wife, her mom, and I go to sleep.

End of Day 1

Day 2--- 8 a.m.

BAM! BAM! BAM!

Grandma is banging on the door, fully dressed, and ready to go... We're not even awake!!! So she gets in a hissy fit over this.

The three of us hurry and get dressed. I'm done first so I sit at the table with my MacBook Pro and iPhone. I should say that I don't think Grandma likes me too much. She never really likes any "newcomers" to the family. I don't care. I'm checking MacRumors and CNN and she says "these youngins today, can't live without there technology and crap". I let it go because I know it's just something she does to piss people off.

We head out and go to California Adventure first. Grandma stops inside and sees the electric scooters...

This was the beginning of the end for the day...

She rents one (for the first time ever using a scooter) but doesn't want to listen to the woman on how to use it. She blocks it out. My wife and I are sitting on the railing nearby and watch from a distance but within listening range. The woman leaves and Grandma turns to Mary and says "so what do I look at to drive?? The basket or the handle bar??". Mary stops for a second, surprised, and says don't look at those! Look straight ahead of you!

Oh boy... This wasn't going to be good...

She takes off but does that how stop-go-stop-go-stop-go thing from not really knowing what the hell she's doing... She almost ran a Cast Member over! Also, I should mention, Grandma has macular degeneration so she's almost blind and she's lost most of her hearing. Remember this for later...

So with bad vision, any time she sees 3 people walking near her she'd think it was us and start following them instead so we'd have to start yelling STOP! GRANDMA! DON'T GO THAT WAY!! We don't stay that long in California Adventure and head over to Disneyland. Grandma wants a mint julep from New Orleans Square. To do that you have to go left from Downtown Disney through Frontierland.

Grandma goes right... Oh, and right into the path of one of the horse carriages in downtown Disney. Mary and I run and literally grab the back of the cart and scream "Grandma, STOP!" Nearly avoiding getting hit. She then says to us "what is your problem, I'm going the right way! It's that way! (pointing right)" Mary and I aren't arguing the point with her... but take her left anyway.

We then go towards Indiana Jones ride with Grandma after her mint julep. We told her a million times to take turns wide so she doesn't ram into a wall or corner. Every corner up till you get on the ride we get stuck because, even though she heard us and knows what she's doing, she doesn't listen to us and does it the wrong way.

We get on the ride and it's great. When we get back is when the fun starts.

Grandma takes off, downhill from the ride, at full speed. *!@#*&!#@!!!! Mary runs after her and manages to grab the back of the scooter. Next thing we know, Grandma turns UP the speed of the scooter because with Mary hanging on, it's slowed her down.

So here's my mother-in-law holding on to the back of a scooter that's zooming down hill by all these people with my wife and I (in Indiana Jones fedoras) screaming after them! I can only imagine what other people saw with us on the way out. Mary was screaming for Grandma to stop. Grandma was turning the scooter to go faster, and my wife and I are running after them to say Mary!

Grandma finally slows down, only because there was a curve in the road ahead, and we're standing around pissed because of the whole thing. Her excuse - I was just trying to keep up with the others getting off the ride. THERE WAS NO ONE ELSE LEAVING! THEY'D ALREADY GONE AHEAD!

Mary turns the dial to quarter power and tells her to leave it there. Doesn't happen though. Later on in the day she rams into a wall near the bathroom at full speed because she thought she could clear it... Grrr....

Grandma heads back to the hotel around 8 p.m. but not before doing her whole "lonely" speech. She didn't want to see the fireworks but we did and offered to take her back to the hotel but says "No, I'll do it myself."

After Grandma leaves, times return to normal and we have a great time.

Day 3--- The Last day

We get up early knowing that Grandma wants to go early. She comes in and complains that someone kept calling her room in the middle of the night on the hotel phone. She then proceeds to blame me because I have an iPhone. How on earth she connects my phone and someone calling her hotel phone, I'll never know. I do my best to keep from waking grandma! I don't want to deal with her. Finally Mary tells her to let it go and stop blaming me.

We head out but refuse to get a scooter. We want control so she doesn't lose control of it again. So we get a wheelchair. We're fine with pushing her because now we don't have to worry about her taking off with us left behind, or pulled behind.

Wow, looking back, the wheelchair was a mistake. She knows what a wheelchair is. Mary pushes her at first so my wife and I can eat breakfast on the go. We go to the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror. Okay, grandma stays down below because she doesn't want to go.

We come back out and grandma has finished her hot chocolate. Grandma is the type of person that expects you to know what she wants. She won't ask, say please, or thank you. So Mary is pushing her and grandma puts out her arm with cup towards a trash can. We ignore it because that is really annoying.

We head towards a restroom and she throws it out there. I throw out the trash from breakfast as I wait for the ladies to come out. Grandma is out first and comes back to the wheelchair. Before getting in she looks at me and says "Well, I hope you don't expect Mary to push me all day. All you do is eat and play on that phone (iPhone)!"

I look at her and say no, my turn is next between gritted teeth. Everyone comes out and we head out with me pushing grandma. I know grandma doesn't like me but she was REALLY starting to get to me while pushing her. She'd pull the breaks on so I'd slam into the back of the wheelchair. She did that about 5 times before I handed her off to my wife because I couldn't deal with her anymore.

I have more stories for the rest of the trip but those are the major ones. They were more funny to see/deal with in person. Not to mention I'm still worn out from Disneyland.

Any questions, just leave a reply and I'll clarify it.

~Crawn

8. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

You should write a book!

It's kind of pitiful, but it's an amazing story, and an exaggerated version of the relationship issues many families have.

9. nhcowboy1 macrumors 6502

Since Grandma was staying at a hotel in Anaheim, I have to assume she is not a permanent resident of that town. Please advise what town she customarily resides in, so that we...can...avoid...it...at...all...costs!!! :D

And I'm thinking that your story would make a really wonderful series of comic strips if you or your wife has the aptitude to do the illustrations . . . .

10. Keebler macrumors 68030

Crawn, you need to copyright this, make it into a script and call Chevy Chase - he hasn't done a "national lampoon's vacation" movie in sometime and you seem to have the right script!

I often wonder if i'll be a prick of a senior when I'm older. Seems they can get really impatient or senile later in life.

11. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

Oh god... I can only imagine what kind of mind-boggling "experience" this trip was. Props to you for not losing control and killing grandma! :D

12. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

This looks like the script for one of them comedy movies where holidays go wrong!

Yeah, copyright it!