Crazy man shoots puppy in front of kids

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aerok, Sep 12, 2013.

1. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/09/...-8-month-old-puppy-dead-in-front-of-children/

Some people have no heart, I'm speechless.

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I would love to know what that guy was thinking. It sounds like the kids weren't too far away. They're lucky they didn't get shot.

3. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Zimmerman should meet Zimmerman. I think they'll get along.

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

5. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Sounds to me that they have a leash law in that city. They have that law for a reason. This never would have happened if they kept their dog on a leash per city ordinance. It's just asking for trouble when you let a dog run wild in the streets.

I'm not justifying what the old coot did. The man needs serious help, since it sounds like he's still suffering PTSD even after nearly 40 years.

6. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

This is awful and makes me emotional. It's just a little puppy. There needs to be more serious consequences for violence against animals.

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Oh FFS. When I had a dog, I kept her on a leash. I wouldn't take her outside without it. But sometimes she managed to slip out through the door when it was opened for a second to let someone in or on a few occasions slipped out of her collar while on a walk, and the second she realized she was free, she'd run around outside for a bit and came back to the house. She wouldn't hurt a fly and was the sweetest dog, and I'd hate to think for a second that anyone could've justified shooting her because she was running around the neighborhood.

Puppy looks just like my old dog, the thought of someone shooting her makes me sick.

8. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Sounds like you're a responsible dog owner. The dog owner in the article aren't. They didn't keep there dog on a leash, didn't not fence it in so that it wouldn't run wild around the neighborhood. I've seen plenty of dogs hit by cars where I live. The worst drivers in Texas live where I live.:mad:

I once owned a dog over 30 years ago. Nicest dog in the world, despite being an intimidating looking 95lbs white Labrador (at lease it looked like a Labrador. It was a 5lbs stray I had picked up at a shelter). It never barked at anyone while outside the fence. Every time it wanted to go out it would sit by the gate and wait. I would open the gate let it walk itself. An hour later it would return and sit in front of the gate until I let it in again. One day, it never came back from its walk.

After that, I never got a dog again. I'm to irresponsible a dog owner, and that wouldn't be fair to the dog. I miss that mutt.

9. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Well, clearly he was not a "crazy" man, crazy people are not allowed to buy guns.

10. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

But remember.. it's their Right to own that gun, and their "personal responsibility" for using it!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Seriously, I would love to have some of the pro-gun people here explain how the trauma this he has caused not only to the dog, but to the kids, is inline with "ensuring domestic tranquility" and "promoting the general welfare".

I say again, if possession and use of a gun, especially in this type of situation, is more important than the well-being of our posterity, there are some serious issues that people are refusing to deal with.

So I'm really hoping that someone in the pro-gun camp, and the extreme part of that camp, can try to defend this man's actions.

BL.

11. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

No, you wouldn't. You just want to argue with ridicule someone for voicing an opinion you find indefensible. Your own sarcasm and eye-rolling tells us so.

I support gun rights, but what this guy did was reprehensible.

12. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Reprehensible, perhaps, but not preventable.

13. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Do they have "stand your ground" in Ohio?

He must have felt his life was threatened by the puppy (probably rabid) and the two kids coming home from Sunday School...you know the vicious stuff they teach there!

He has a strong defense...

:rolleyes:

14. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

No one is going to defend this man's actions. At least I hope not. The question is: was this enough to strip this man of his rights and takes away his gun and his ability to buy another one or do we wait until he shoots one of the kids next time or some guy selling magazines....

15. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

hopefully not the guy selling 30-round magazines

16. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Running wild in the streets? He was running from his house down to the sidewalk to greet the boys. Its not like he was blocks from his house.

17. dec. Suspended

dec.

Dog off leash? Kill it. That simple. One must live by the laws. Strictly. Kill it.

18. chown33 macrumors 604

From the article:
    On her blog, mother Misty Smith said she couldn’t understand why “the same man who would coax Puppy into his driveway would suddenly turn on him and hate him so.”

“He will appear in court [on Wednesday] at 10 AM but the only charges are inducing panic and injuring an animal. That doesn’t get him help that gets him nothing and we are left with the mess,” she added. “What I need is someone who can help us make him get help someplace away from a school and a family with 7 children. I cannot get them another puppy as long as that man is there.”

“He is a veteran whose wife has to tell him over and over, ‘the war is over’. He needs help before someone is hurt worse. There has to be something that can be done.”
    If he's adjudged mentally incompetent or an imminent danger to others by the court, then one would hope they issue a legal order to take his firearm(s) and ammunition. One would also hope they mandate some help for him. Only time will tell what happens.

19. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Are you ****ing serious?

20. tktaylor1 macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

Im having a hard time telling if you're serious or just trolling.

21. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Let me guess, Houston. Worst drivers of anywhere that I have been. Worst of the worst: Pasadena-LaPorte area.

On topic: a reasonable course of action would be for this individual to lose his access to guns permanently.

22. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Seems to me a fitting punishment would be for this animal to be required to be leashed at all times.

23. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

or

Don't let ****ing idiots have guns.

I'm sure i'll be told he was "protecting himself"

24. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

The leash law is very specific. Any dog that isn't muzzled MUST be on a leash if it's not on the owner's property. It's running wild otherwise. I outta know. I lost my dog because I let it run wild on the street, although it never ran. The fastest it managed was an easy trot. A 95lbs down running down the street would scare the bejeebers out of the neighbors.

I have issues with the old coot shooting the dog AND the owners for doing NOTHING to restrain the dog. They are as much to blame for the dogs death as the geezer. What I don't like is that they place ALL the blame on the gun nut. Some people have no sense of responsibility.

25. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I don't know about this. I understand leash laws and why you would want to protect your dog from running in the street. But a puppy being shot for running down the walkway to the sidewalk? Too much.