Crazy Oklahoma lady at it again

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yg17, Mar 16, 2008.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2008/03/some_family.php

Well, the first interesting tidbit in that article is that she has a gay son. Gotta feel sorry for the guy, must've been rough having a bitch like her as a mother.

But this bill, WTF? So now you can completely ignore everything you learn in science class, write some bullcrap down on your test, and still get it right because you claim it's your religious belief? I would personally write down the story of the flying spaghetti monster and demand my A.

2. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

Oh god. I see the time coming when people get a degree by inventing a religion (actually I don't see those times coming, or at least I hope so). Pretty useful for jokes, but pretty tragic in the real world. What is the world coming to? :confused:

WHAT? Who the hell actually supports this!?

3. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

So basically if you write "this is my religion" you're guaranteed to graduate? I love how tolerance for ideas somehow was taken over by people too scared to open their minds and look outside.

4. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

My wife teaches history at a major southern university and regularly has students walk out of class when she discusses pre-reformation religion. The students would rather fail this portion of the test than have their faith corrupted. I guess it would be icing on the cake if such students could get class credit for their religious beliefs.

5. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Yep, from what I understand, pretty much.

What gets me, is that if this was an Islamic guy trying to get a bill like this through, everyone would cry about how Muslim extremists are trying to make us think like them and sh*t would hit the fan.

It's quite simple really...if you don't want your child learning scientific facts that have been proven, and would rather they learn a bunch of bullcrap made up by someone, then send them to a private school. I like going to public schools because I learn about what's factually accurate, not what some guy made up 2,000 years ago. Don't take that away from me.

6. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

To be fair not all private schools are dishonest like that (I actually don't know if it is most or some or whatever). I am rather annoyed at how people try to screw with the public schools through the legislature rather than through actually getting involved with the educational process. You know, being useful.

7. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

8. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I honestly hate when this happens. Really reilogion and scientific theory are 2 different things.

Some very reilogis friends of mine who do not believe in evolution and beleave the earth is give or take 6000 years old agree that in science class evolution is a valid theory that is incorrect but still it has based on science and the answer is correct. They explain it off as God is all powerful and built the earth in a way that those things would appear that way. But they believe that things like what the woman wants is wrong.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

This woman is looking to start her own holy war, trust me. Ever notice how many of these whack jobs think we're living in the "End Times"? They're going to make Armageddon happen if it's the last thing they do.

10. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

Um, we are.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh no. :eek: maybe you're right! :D

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

13. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Well if The Rapture comes before November it should be a crippling blow to the GOP base.

I just hope it improves traffic on the rush hour commute...:D

14. Qoxiivi macrumors regular

Qoxiivi

WTF!!!!!!!!!! In the last three minutes I've written and subsequently deleted several sentences attempting to accurately illustrate my utter disgust and contempt for this. I just don't have the vocabulary to express what an insult this is to the ideal of an advanced, intelligent and free-thinking society.

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

That's OK, just put in a few "Verily, I say unto thee"s and say you're a fundamentalist evangelical and you'll get top marks.

16. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Couldn't all questions be simply rephrased to force kids to at least learn the most popular theories so that they won't seem like complete buffoons when they get into college?

Instead of "How old is the earth?"

use "According to your textbook, how old is the earth?".

The first one would allow the religious loophole, the second is a reading comprehension question that would require at least opening the text book.

17. Queso macrumors G4

The Earth has to be at least 75 million years old. Otherwise how could Lord Xenu have inflicted all the thetans onto us?

Eh Sally Kern? How about you answer me that? Eh?!? EH?!?

18. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

No, it's 31, at least according to my relgion Me-ism. The theory states that the earth as I know it sprung into being at my birth to give me this wonderful sensory experience. It did not exist before I was born and will not exist after me. It is all about Me.

Or maybe that was the church of Ayn Rand.

19. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

Me too! Hot damn, I can't wait for the day!

20. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Ahh, you mean apply logic? How brazen of you, sir!

21. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

75 million? Try 4.5 billion.

22. Queso macrumors G4

Unless you can tie that to your religion you lose marks.

23. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Q: Two trains, A and B, leave their respective starting points at the same time and travel in opposite directions. They travel at constant speeds, and pass at point M. One travels at twice the speed of the other. If one of the trains leaves five minutes late they pass at a point 2 miles from point M. What is the speed of the slow train, in miles per hour?

A: Jeebus loves you

I can has full credit? :D

24. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Wrong. The correct answer is 15 szlenats/quakit. Where szlenats is a unit of length derived from the average width of the FSM's noodley appendages, and the quakit is the average period of the wavelets that travel through the aforementioned appendages.

As an added bonus, due to the compressibility of the appendages, accelerations have a great effect on the measurements and the answer to all problems of this sort is 5 szlenats/quakit.

25. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

I'm compressing my appendage now, and I think you're actually right. WIll you be my saviour?