Crazy question, but have you seen anyone in recent times with any other phone besides iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hieveryone, May 14, 2017.

1. Hieveryone macrumors 68030

I know this sounds crazy, but I literally don't know anyone my age that doesn't use iPhone.

I hangout in college a lot and everyone has iPhone.

In fact, I don't think I've even seen any other device on campus.

(It'd be nice to spot a Galaxy S8 in the wild though)

2. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

I have seen exactly 2 iPhones besides my own in use over the last 2 years (not counting display models that sit there). I'm considered way behind the times in my area.

If phone popularity in my area was used to judge the success of the iPhone, you'd think nobody uses Apple iPhones. Only old people use that crap.... oh wait... I guess it's just me, cause even my grandmother uses an Android phone, as well as my mother, my brothers, my sister, all my nephews and nieces, everyone I see daily shopping and at the local university, and even all the teenagers and wow even the children and preteens (spoiled kids).

But, then again, I also only know 2 people who use Macs besides me. Actually, I've only ever personally known four people in my lifetime who have used Macs besides myself.

So.... yeah... Apple isn't exactly rocking the world in my area.

But... on the plus side, there's a good supply of iPhones sitting at the cellular provider that I can get for free if I would be willing to sign for a monthly contract plan. But I don't need a new iPhone, and I'm not committing to a monthly plan.

Locally, iPhones are the freebies with cell plans. You pay extra if you want Android. Which apparently everyone I see is willing to do.

As far as which phone brand specifically seems popular here, it seems predominantly Samsung Phones. They are pretty, and I like the capacity, screen clarity, and photo quality... but I'm apparently the only person I know who's too cheap and stubborn to buy into a new phone. I'll just accept my status as a relic and weird old guy who uses an iPhone. Lol.

3. martin2345uk macrumors regular

martin2345uk

I see a lot of them at work as our company mobile phone is the iPhone... outside of work most of my friends have one, apart from the odd android user but WhatsApp solves that issue :)

4. Rufuss Sewell macrumors 6502

Most people I see have an Android of some kind. Usually Samsung. Bay Area California.

Still a fair share of iPhones though.

I love Apple but need a headphone jack so I'm in a bit of a quandry hanging on to my 6S+.

5. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

mostly androids - i dont live in usa...

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Lately, I've seen more Samsungs then iPhones.

7. Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

8. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

In work at a university in Canada, most faculty, staff and students have iPhones and Macs.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/01/22/technology/mobile/iphone-smart-study/
    My observation agrees with this article. Most academics that I work with everyday use iPhones. For most of us, the higher phone cost is not a problem, instead we care about reliability and low maintenance. Most of us want our phones to just work with minimum tinkering and we want it to work for a few years. It is just a tools to us, and the bells and whistles aren't important. It is much more important to have an Apple Store around that we can walk in and fix any issues as quickly as possible when we need it. Again, money is less important, but down time and data loss is very important.

9. Critycal macrumors member

The Netherlands is flooded with the Samsung Galaxy series. But I agree, having an iPhone is not as special as it was back in the time with the iPhone 3G.

10. cube macrumors G5

11. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

12. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I don't typically pay attention to other people's phones
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

13. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

I'm seeing more non-iPhones now than iPhones, when publicly commuting, than I did 2 years ago. Back then and before, it was all iPhones here.

14. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I see more Samsung phones then iPhones, especially where I work. I think there is only one other person with an iPhone besides me. It's always been that way since the first iPhone.

15. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

There's a whole world outside your campus.

And it's not all Apple. Not even close.

16. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68030

Wow I'm surprised. I literally haven't seen androids.

Every single person has an iPhone from what I've seen.

Maybe it's because there's no android stores here.

17. cube macrumors G5

Bubble.

18. kevink2 macrumors 65816

I probably see more android phones than iPhones at work. Some people just won't use an Apple. Both ecosystems can tie you in. My usage of an iPhone has caused my family, sister, etc, to have iPhones. iMessage, for example, works better with other iPhones.

A coworker has the S8. I even have an inexpensive, unlocked Android, as a backup phone in case something happens with my iPhone 7+. This was before some carriers started selling the SE for $199.

19. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

My husband is Android only. My students are pretty evenly divided between iOS and Android, as are the faculty.

20. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

Where do you live? In an alternate universe?

Walking around and taking the subway in New York City I probably see 1 android for every 10 iPhones. Most people all ages are using iPhones and carriers/stores are usually having promotions practically giving android phones away for free

21. JustJoshua macrumors member

I'm one of the only three out of 34 at work that uses an iphone. The 31 are all on an android of some form.

22. 2ilent8cho macrumors 6502

As the sysadmin at work, i can see on our Staff WiFi that they can use with their phones how many are iOS. Its almost all of them. I only have 1 green bubble i text regularly. I think this will vary greatly by what country you are in.

23. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

I see a pretty even mix of iPhone vs. Android, and as a high school teacher, I see a lot of phones...

I'm not just considering people I know either. As someone who's interested in tech, I notice what devices even random strangers are using, and I see about as many non-iPhones as iPhones on any given day.

24. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Android still outnumbers iPhone I see daily. Guess it depends on where you are and who is around you.

25. bufffilm, May 14, 2017
    Last edited: May 14, 2017

bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

I live in NYC so please point me to an AT&T, Verizon, or TMobile deal where you can get a S7/S8, Pixel, or other premium Android phone for practically free.

I wish to avail myself of their largesse. :D

(Sprint and lesser carriers need not apply.)