Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NIKKG

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2012
Exactly why I wish to know how you make out.

I'm not vested in Apple either.

But iOS and the whole experience around it... it's a big reason why I choose Apple.
I always go back and forth from iOS or Android, its not a big deal because I try to be platform independent as much as possible.

Like for a notes app, I use Google Keep, its excellent, works on the web, and both phone platforms. I don't use iCloud, so all my phone numbers and contacts are stored on my gmail account and they automatically get downloaded no matter what device I'm using.

For all my pictures, I use Google Photos, all my pics get stored there and viewable anytime. For internet bookmarks, I have Chrome installed on both devices. Whatsapp is my prime text app. Some games you can't help, but I don't play that much games either, so no big deal.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I always go back and forth from iOS or Android, its not a big deal because I try to be platform independent as much as possible.

Like for a notes app, I use Google Keep, its excellent, works on the web, and both phone platforms. I don't use iCloud, so all my phone numbers and contacts are stored on my gmail account and they automatically get downloaded no matter what device I'm using.

For all my pictures, I use Google Photos, all my pics get stored there and viewable anytime. For internet bookmarks, I have Chrome installed on both devices. Whatsapp is my prime text app. Some games you can't help, but I don't play that much games either, so no big deal.

The one app which I can't find an exact substitute for is Safari.

Everything else I could probably make a go of.

DynamicSausage

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2015
Leicestershire, UK
The iPhone X is basically just a bridge to the new generation of iPhones, Apple won't stay with LCD forever but clearly the switch to full OLED wasn't ready this year.

Presuming that next year they may go full OLED and also have their whole range bezel-less, this is a perfectly reasonable rumour. They would be able to keep 2 form factors, similar to those of the 6 - 8 range but have massively increased screen size.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
I really find it offensive that Apple puts the premium camera in their + *cough* iPhad *cough* but not the "flagship" phone. (which I grudgingly went to - preferring the 5s/SE sizing).

I think the popularity of the SE should have shown Apple something - there's still LOTS of us that want a 4" phone, but give us the option of premium features dammit.

Want to make a cheap phone? Bring back the C.

Plus, it would be much easier for them to produce millions of 4" OLED screens (the yield is higher) :)

DynamicSausage

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2015
Leicestershire, UK
I really find it offensive that Apple puts the premium camera in their + *cough* iPhad *cough* but not the "flagship" phone. (which I grudgingly went to - preferring the 5s/SE sizing).

I think the popularity of the SE should have shown Apple something - there's still LOTS of us that want a 4" phone, but give us the option of premium features dammit.

Want to make a cheap phone? Bring back the C.

Plus, it would be much easier for them to produce millions of 4" OLED screens (the yield is higher) :)

But the market for the Plus models is HUGE now, probably eclipsing the standard 4.7" and fitting all of that tech in to a SE case would be a mind-boggling amount of engineering, if even possible.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
But the market for the Plus models is HUGE now, probably eclipsing the standard 4.7" and fitting all of that tech in to a SE case would be a mind-boggling amount of engineering, if even possible.
I think most of us would be willing to forego battery life for cramming in additional features.

Plus, once the Energous solution is in the market, they'll be putting an infinity symbol beside battery life on the slide decks. The only time anyone will care about battery life will be camping or at the beach.

DynamicSausage

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2015
Leicestershire, UK
I think most of us would be willing to forego battery life for cramming in additional features.

Plus, once the Energous solution is in the market, they'll be putting an infinity symbol beside battery life on the slide decks. The only time anyone will care about battery life will be camping or at the beach.

But that time hasn't come yet. the phone you're describing is definitely a possibility in the future but in 2017 it would probably have a 2 hour battery and a 80% failure rate.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
Yeah, I read here that Apple is going to offer an XS with a 6.?" (I forget the exact dimensions) next year. I'm now undecided if I should pick up an X or wait to see if there will be any major issues. I am heading off to Portland, Oregon this weekend to purchase a MBP (still undecided on 13" or 15" TB or non TB), because Oregon is tax-free.

I wish the X would be on display this weekend since orders are set up for tomorrow? Do you know if Apple will have the X on display this weekend?

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
But that time hasn't come yet. the phone you're describing is definitely a possibility in the future but in 2017 it would probably have a 2 hour battery and a 80% failure rate.
Heh 2017's pretty much over, so I'm not talking about this year. :)
The Energous solution may be viable for next year's iPhones (http://ir.energous.com/press-releas...rporation-announces-gan-based-high-power-near)
Hell, even Qi charging may be good enough for most people, once they're commonplace in everyone's cars, homes, hotel rooms and coffee shops.

Edit: Wow, just re-read your message. Exaggerate much? :) Those are absolutely ridiculous metrics (sorry, I've worked in tech - you could easily build a 4" phone with all of the internals of the 8+ but you'd be looking at about 16 hours of typical battery life using conventional means - hence the need for wireless charging solutions). We're also not talking about thinner - about the same thickness as a 5S. Remember, the new processor uses considerably less power. So does a smaller screen.

Last edited:

DynamicSausage

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2015
Leicestershire, UK
Yeah,
I wish the X would be on display this weekend since orders are set up for tomorrow? Do you know if Apple will have the X on display this weekend?

OCTOBER 27th, not September. And no, they won't be on display until November 3rd.
[doublepost=1506457427][/doublepost]
Heh 2017's pretty much over, so I'm not talking about this year. :)
The Energous solution may be viable for next year's iPhones (http://ir.energous.com/press-releas...rporation-announces-gan-based-high-power-near)
Hell, even Qi charging may be good enough for most people, once they're commonplace in everyone's cars, homes, hotel rooms and coffee shops.

I will definitely be buying in to these near-field charging solutions when they become readily available but public rollout will take YEARS in public places and don't forget that many people drive cars that are 10 years old so that is a LONG way off.

I'm sure if you live in a big city then you'll see the effects much sooner but where I'm from we've only just started getting USB ports on the bus.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
I will definitely be buying in to these near-field charging solutions when they become readily available but public rollout will take YEARS in public places and don't forget that many people drive cars that are 10 years old so that is a LONG way off.

I'm sure if you live in a big city then you'll see the effects much sooner but where I'm from we've only just started getting USB ports on the bus.
Actually, it's a lot easier to deploy wireless charging solutions on buses (existing) than wiring them for USB ports. Depending on the range, you may just need one in the centre.

DynamicSausage

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2015
Leicestershire, UK
Actually, it's a lot easier to deploy wireless charging solutions on buses (existing) than wiring them for USB ports. Depending on the range, you may just need one in the centre.

I'm sure it is easier but it's expensive for companies to update their fleets and many people will hardly benefit from it. I live in the UK so when that solution becomes available I'd expect it on the London Underground within 2 years. Following that I'd probably expect to see it in bigger cities within another 2 years and well... I wouldn't even like to guess a timeframe for my hometown. Want some perspective of that? My town got 4G properly installed this year...

But I drive... well, I would I expect to wait 3 - 4 years before a retro-fit solution becomes available for cars that don't have it from factory. Personally, I'd buy it but many people don't even have bluetooth audio in their older cars because they don't want to upgrade.

Your ideas are 100% feasible but not this year and not next year either... Big batteries are here to stay for a little while yet.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
I'm sure it is easier but it's expensive for companies to update their fleets and many people will hardly benefit from it. I live in the UK so when that solution becomes available I'd expect it on the London Underground within 2 years. Following that I'd probably expect to see it in bigger cities within another 2 years and well... I wouldn't even like to guess a timeframe for my hometown. Want some perspective of that? My town got 4G properly installed this year...

But I drive... well, I would I expect to wait 3 - 4 years before a retro-fit solution becomes available for cars that don't have it from factory. Personally, I'd buy it but many people don't even have bluetooth audio in their older cars because they don't want to upgrade.

Your ideas are 100% feasible but not this year and not next year either... Big batteries are here to stay for a little while yet.
How quickly was Apple Pay rolled out in the UK? (when Apple wants to put their muscle behind something, they can subsidize the costs). If they have a wireless solution years before Samsung, you don't think they'll want to have it everywhere overnight? (they are almost a $Trillion company after all) :)
The only car out there right now that has Qi charging and wireless CarPlay is the BMW 7 series. Unfortunately, new model years come out for most car manufacturers in September, so we're looking at least 2019 before they'll be an option from the carmakers. Qi chargers are available now. It's not a new standard...just new for Apple.

Energous? Really depends how flexible they are on their licensing (royalties) and if Apple wants to make this a reality sooner rather than later.

DynamicSausage

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2015
Leicestershire, UK
How quickly was Apple Pay rolled out in the UK? (when Apple wants to put their muscle behind something, they can subsidize the costs). If they have a wireless solution years before Samsung, you don't think they'll want to have it everywhere overnight? (they are almost a $Trillion company after all) :)
The only car out there right now that has Qi charging and wireless CarPlay is the BMW 7 series. Unfortunately, new model years come out for most car manufacturers in September, so we're looking at least 2019 before they'll be an option from the carmakers. Qi chargers are available now. It's not a new standard...just new for Apple.

Energous? Really depends how flexible they are on their licensing (royalties) and if Apple wants to make this a reality sooner rather than later.

The only reason Apple Pay was rolled out so quickly is because we already had the machines. Contactless pay had been around for a couple of years and many stores had NFC equipped readers before that.

Apple may have a lot of power but they won’t get Volkswagen to come and put a QI charger in my 11 year old Gti.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
The only reason Apple Pay was rolled out so quickly is because we already had the machines. Contactless pay had been around for a couple of years and many stores had NFC equipped readers before that.

Apple may have a lot of power but they won’t get Volkswagen to come and put a QI charger in my 11 year old Gti.
Heh. No, but they may provide the ones for the buses at cost. :)

MacAlien

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2012
Boston
All I can imagine at this rate are people walking around with an iPad and holding it up to their ears when they make or receive calls... then again, I do have an overactive imagination!

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
Could this be possible?? If so I might have to hold out. I would want the 6.5

Crazy rumors suggest big changes are coming to Apple’s iPhone 9 lineup next year

Apple’s latest and greatest iPhone isn’t even in the hands of consumers yet, but that hasn’t stopped the rumor mill from churning out stories about next year’s iPhone lineup. The Bell, a local Korean newspaper cited by The Korea Herald, is reporting that next year, Apple will go all-in on big screen sizes with three new devices.

According to the report, Apple will launch two OLED iPhones and one LCD iPhone next year. The OLED devices will have 5.85 and 6.46-inch screens, while the LCD device will have a screen bigger than 6 inches.

Citing local parts makers, the report said Apple had originally given panel orders to Samsung Display, its sole OLED supplier, under a plan to launch three OLED iPhones next year — 5.28-, 5.85-, and 6.46-inch models. But the report said the development work for the 5.28-inch model has recently been suspended possibly due to the low marketability of the smaller version.

If the report is true, then the iPhone X — which has a 5.8-inch OLED screen — will be the smallest iPhone Apple makes going forwards. The 6.5-inch OLED device will presumably be some kind of iPhone X Plus, although will a screen that big, you’d be forgiven for thinking that Apple is bringing back the iPad Mini.

The biggest surprise with the report is the hints at a big-screened LCD device. Apple switched to an OLED display for this year’s iPhone X because of the advantages an OLED display gives. Although more expensive, OLED screens look better and offer major savings in battery life. In other words, OLED screens are for flagship phones, and LCD screens are for the budget models.

That’s why launching a 6-inch (or bigger!) LCD device next year would be a surprise. Big phones tend to be the more premium, expensive versions — just look at the iPhone 7 Plus, which had the fanciest camera Apple had ever put in a device when it launched last year, or the Galaxy Note 8. It would be unusual for Apple to launch a device with a big screen but middling specs, but that’s exactly what a big-screen LCD iPhone would suggest.

The worst news from this report is that Apple is going all-in on bigger devices. As The Korea Herald notes, it’s the trend these days. But Apple has been remarkably good about making reasonably sized phones for the last couple of years, even as Android manufacturers abandoned that niche. The iPhone SE has been the only good small phone, but even if it stays around on Apple’s product range, it won’t be a proper flagship device.

Finally How many Time or Threads have I Mentioned that Next Years IPhone X Plus will have a 6.4”OLED Display Same one that’s on the Note 8 today. And the Same Display is on the Note 5 that’s on the iPhone X

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.