Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 23, 2012
Do you guys think it's crazy to dump 800 bucks for the iPhone 5?

I have Verizon. I can't subsidize because if I do I lose my unlimited data plan and I have to go with their family shared plan which is 25 more a month for 2GB of data.

800 because the phone I want is the 32GB for 750+ tax. I don't think 16GB would be enough between apps, music, and the apps I make/test. What do you think?

Last edited:

jtp098

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Purchase
have you ever went over 2 gb??

or is it more of I had it once and I don't want big brother to take it away?

pyroza

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2009
408/310
Do you have another phone on the plan that is eligible for an upgrade? If so, you could upgrade that one then swap numbers later and keep unlimited data.

PhoenixMac

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2010

If your comparing 3G data use with LTE use, do not, it is a completely different animal. My use went from under 2gbs a month to well over 10gb just by being able to do stuff that I could not before on 3g.

Do you have another phone on the plan that is eligible for an upgrade? If so, you could upgrade that one then swap numbers later and keep unlimited data.

This.

Or if you have a family plan add a new line upgrade it with iPhone 5, then swap to a dumb phone, $299 plus tax $317 plus activation fee $353 plus $10 a month for 24 months your looking at $593.

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 23, 2012
More of I don't want to pay 25 more a month for 2GB plan when I had unlimited before for 25 less a month. Right now I'm paying like 75 a month. I also used 6GB last month.

----------

I don't have a family plan or any other lines.

If your comparing 3G data use with LTE use, do not, it is a completely different animal. My use went from under 2gbs a month to well over 10gb just by being able to do stuff that I could not before on 3g.

This.

Or if you have a family plan add a new line upgrade it with iPhone 5, then swap to a dumb phone, $299 plus tax $317 plus activation fee $353 plus $10 a month for 24 months your looking at $593.

jtp098

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Purchase
More of I don't want to pay 25 more a month for 2GB plan when I had unlimited before for 25 less a month. Right now I'm paying like 75 a month. I also used 6GB last month.

----------

I don't have a family plan or any other lines.

oh yea stick with the unlimited!

----------

This.

That is also a good point! I did not take that into consideration

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland

This is accurate and what I experienced as well. I tried out a Galaxy S3 to see if I could make the switch. Got it on 9/3 and used it until 9/8. I ended up not liking it, but I did like the 4G speeds and I used over 500Mb in those 5 days. My normal usage for my iPhone 4 with only 3G is anywhere from 300-500Mb for the entire month. So based on that, it looks like I'll average 4 times as much data on 4G.

note: I pre-ordered the 16gb full price, total after tax was $697.11. So no, I don't think it is crazy.

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 23, 2012
Can you still do that without the family plan? Wouldn't I downgrade my plan to 2GB+$25 more a month?

That's why I'm thinking of just dropping 800 down. My thinking is it's only $33 a month for 2 years.

Right now I have the HTC Rezound so I can live without the iPhone 5. What started this craziness is I want to load my apps onto an iphone to test it out.

I do not want an ipod. Last thing I want is to carry more than one device.

----------

I thought about getting the 16GB but on my 16GB micro-sd card in my phone I only have 2.6GB of free space. Thoughts? What's this iCloud thing? is it free?

This is accurate and what I experienced as well. I tried out a Galaxy S3 to see if I could make the switch. Got it on 9/3 and used it until 9/8. I ended up not liking it, but I did like the 4G speeds and I used over 500Mb in those 5 days. My normal usage for my iPhone 4 with only 3G is anywhere from 300-500Mb for the entire month. So based on that, it looks like I'll average 4 times as much data on 4G.

note: I pre-ordered the 16gb full price, total after tax was $697.11. So no, I don't think it is crazy.

Last edited:

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
$800 on a phone is crazy in my opinion, then again I don't know your financials. Only you can make this decision.

PhoenixMac

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2010
----------

[/COLOR]I thought about getting the 16GB but on my 16GB micro-sd card in my phone I only have 2.6GB of free space. Thoughts? What's this iCloud thing? is it free?

icloud is free it basically backs up your phone and keeps certain apple apps (notes, reminders, mail, etc.) syncd across your apple devices, and yes it is free.

For someone new to iPhone that doesnt have anything invested in Apps I say take a look at the iTunes store at some apps you might download and see how big they are, that should help you determine how much space you might or might not need.

I used to get 16gb, but this year I decided to go with 32gb as my app collection is growing and games can be around 1gb each.

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 23, 2012
Really? On Android their limit is 50MB heh.

I use to have an iPod touch 2nd gen. I don't know if you keep the apps you purchased on itunes like you do with android. On android it remembers all the apps you downloaded.

I use to be a big fan of Apple until I found out about Steve Jobs and how much of a douche he is. Now that he's gone (Honestly RIP) and I like Tim Cook (He's a stand up guy it seems) I don't mind apple anymore.

Oh and no I don't have that much invested in Android. Nothing really of worth on the android market IMO. The 50MB limit really hurts it.

icloud is free it basically backs up your phone and keeps certain apple apps (notes, reminders, mail, etc.) syncd across your apple devices, and yes it is free.

For someone new to iPhone that doesnt have anything invested in Apps I say take a look at the iTunes store at some apps you might download and see how big they are, that should help you determine how much space you might or might not need.

I used to get 16gb, but this year I decided to go with 32gb as my app collection is growing and games can be around 1gb each.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Can you still do that without the family plan? Wouldn't I downgrade my plan to 2GB+$25 more a month?

That's why I'm thinking of just dropping 800 down. My thinking is it's only $33 a month for 2 years.

Right now I have the HTC Rezound so I can live without the iPhone 5. What started this craziness is I want to load my apps onto an iphone to test it out.

I do not want an ipod. Last thing I want is to carry more than one device.

----------

I thought about getting the 16GB but on my 16GB micro-sd card in my phone I only have 2.6GB of free space. Thoughts? What's this iCloud thing? is it free?

I'm not sure what your current plan is but I'll use myself as an example...

My current plan that I have is this: $39.99 for 450 minutes, $30 for unlimited data, and $20 for unlimited text. So, approximately $90 (excluding taxes) per month. The new plans, I could pay $110 for unlimited voice/text and 4GB data. So $20 more, for unlimited voice calls and limited data. I don't talk very much so for $20 more per month it doesn't make any sense. It averages out to be about the same over the course of 2 years. Therefore I'd rather pay more now and keep unlimited data.

I originally switched to an iPhone in the 3G days because I wanted to consolidate into one device. So I definitely understand the desire to move from the htc rezound to the iPhone 5.

I'm not a huge iCloud user but yes it's free with iOS 5 or higher. It basically allows you to sync data across your devices and view that on icloud.com

I think based on your current usage, it's probably better to get the 32GB. Keep in mind you can always sell the rezound and that'll help soften the blow of the $800.

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 23, 2012
I have the cash in my penny cash bank so I'm good. I've been bouncing between the 16GB or the 32GB model. It's only an extra 100 bucks - over 24 months a 100 dollars is nothing.

$800 on a phone is crazy in my opinion, then again I don't know your financials. Only you can make this decision.

----------

ya that's kind of the plan. It's also my thinking. I want to try to get 300 for the rezound. It's rooted and has a custom rom on it. I figure that's worth 50. I think in the end though I'll probably end up selling it for 200 if I'm lucky. Android devices are like PC's - aren't worth a damn thing.

I really appreciate the responses from you guys. A friend of mine called me crazy for spending 800 on a phone so that made me back up a little and think lol.

I'm not sure what your current plan is but I'll use myself as an example...

My current plan that I have is this: $39.99 for 450 minutes, $30 for unlimited data, and $20 for unlimited text. So, approximately $90 (excluding taxes) per month. The new plans, I could pay $110 for unlimited voice/text and 4GB data. So $20 more, for unlimited voice calls and limited data. I don't talk very much so for $20 more per month it doesn't make any sense. It averages out to be about the same over the course of 2 years. Therefore I'd rather pay more now and keep unlimited data.

I originally switched to an iPhone in the 3G days because I wanted to consolidate into one device. So I definitely understand the desire to move from the htc rezound to the iPhone 5.

I'm not a huge iCloud user but yes it's free with iOS 5 or higher. It basically allows you to sync data across your devices and view that on icloud.com

I think based on your current usage, it's probably better to get the 32GB. Keep in mind you can always sell the rezound and that'll help soften the blow of the $800.

jwingfie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2008
Athens, GA
Either way you end up spending the exact same amount.

Unlimited you spend $800 for the phone. New plan, you spend an extra $600 ($25 x 24months) and pay $200 for the phone.

You are paying $800 regardless, might as well keep unlimited.

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
Not crazy at all! I've decided to pay the full retail price when I upgrade in 2013 to keep my unlimited data.

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 23, 2012
Exactly. These were my thoughts but when a friend of mine called me crazy I started to second guess lol. I also read the 10.8.2 upgrade for ML and I really like the phone integration. Ever since I bought my macbook pro in june I've been wanting an iPhone lol.

Either way you end up spending the exact same amount.

Unlimited you spend $800 for the phone. New plan, you spend an extra $600 ($25 x 24months) and pay $200 for the phone.

You are paying $800 regardless, might as well keep unlimited.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Your friends may have called you crazy because they see it advertised as starting at $199. They don't necessarily associate that cost with a 2-year contract nor do they factor in the price increase due to the plan change requirement. But jwingfie stated it perfectly with: "You are paying $800 regardless, might as well keep unlimited."

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 23, 2012
Cool. Black 32GB iPhone here I come! Whenever it's in stock...

Apple sells iPhones of course. Do they activate it for you or do you just buy it and then you have to go to the verizon store? I have to go to the Apple store anyway to get my macbook pro charger replaced - just curious.

Your friends may have called you crazy because they see it advertised as starting at $199. They don't necessarily associate that cost with a 2-year contract nor do they factor in the price increase due to the plan change requirement. But jwingfie stated it perfectly with: "You are paying $800 regardless, might as well keep unlimited."

spacebetween

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2012
Do you guys think it's crazy to dump 800 bucks for the iPhone 5?

I have Verizon. I can't subsidize because if I do I lose my unlimited data plan and I have to go with their family shared plan which is 25 more a month for 2GB of data.

800 because the phone I want is the 32GB for 750+ tax. I don't think 16GB would be enough between apps, music, and the apps I make/test. What do you think?

Do you have a friend or relative that is on VZW who is eligible for an upgrade? You can have them purchase the phone using theirs, activate it on their account, deactivate, and then turn it over to you.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Cool. Black 32GB iPhone here I come! Whenever it's in stock...

Apple sells iPhones of course. Do they activate it for you or do you just buy it and then you have to go to the verizon store? I have to go to the Apple store anyway to get my macbook pro charger replaced - just curious.

I've always activated mine at home through iTunes. I prefer to activate it myself, that way I can go through the whole "unboxing" process myself. That may sound silly but it's one of my favorite things about an apple product. If it's done at an apple or verizon store, somebody else gets to unbox it for you and activate it.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
Exactly. These were my thoughts but when a friend of mine called me crazy I started to second guess lol. I also read the 10.8.2 upgrade for ML and I really like the phone integration. Ever since I bought my macbook pro in june I've been wanting an iPhone lol.

Also keep in mind that in two years, if you keep it that long, you'll probably be able to sell it for around $300 (could be a bit higher or lower depending on quality reviews and overall perception). In one year you could probably get $400 to $500 if you time it right. So you'll recoup some of that $800 when you're ready for a new one.

Regarding iCloud, you get 5GB free but you can buy more. If I remember correctly its $25 for additional 20GBs.

I would definitely pay the $800 to keep the unlimited. Having LTE I'm sure you'll go through a 4GB allowance easily, even 10 may not be enough. Of course it also depends on what you'll be doing, streaming music and video adds up real quick.

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 23, 2012
Well Verizon already stated people can keep their unlimited plan by buying the phone at full price.

Best of luck. I expect that by then there won't be any more unlimited data.

----------

ya it does! People don't realize if you use your smart phone as a smart phone that data adds up real quick.

Does anyone know if tethering works on the iphone? I mean is there a wifi tethering option? It should work with my current plan as verizon cannot block tethering of any kind on LTE.

Also keep in mind that in two years, if you keep it that long, you'll probably be able to sell it for around $300 (could be a bit higher or lower depending on quality reviews and overall perception). In one year you could probably get $400 to $500 if you time it right. So you'll recoup some of that $800 when you're ready for a new one.

Regarding iCloud, you get 5GB free but you can buy more. If I remember correctly its $25 for additional 20GBs.

I would definitely pay the $800 to keep the unlimited. Having LTE I'm sure you'll go through a 4GB allowance easily, even 10 may not be enough. Of course it also depends on what you'll be doing, streaming music and video adds up real quick.

GoreVidal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2011
I use to be a big fan of Apple until I found out about Steve Jobs and how much of a douche he is. Now that he's gone (Honestly RIP) and I like Tim Cook (He's a stand up guy it seems) I don't mind apple anymore.

That makes no sense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.