Creaking monitor of my new rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Alfonsomac, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Alfonsomac macrumors member

Hi guys,

i've bought my new 15" high end rMBP yesterday.
    It's obvious gorgeous as you all know, and luckily it has no retention or ghosting problem.
    I mean, it's perfect, screen, ssd, aluminum case, keyboard, ecc.

It has only a little issue on the left side of the monitor hinge. While the right side makes no sound, the left one creaks a bit when you move the monitor.

Just like you can see here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mxq45xvXYQA

What are your advices? It can be solved, or i should i act it doesn't exist? I think may be exceed to return for this; or not?

2. DJJAZZYJET macrumors 6502

Thats pretty bad, the hinge should make no noise at all. I would return that and get a new one from Apple, since you are in the return period. Just go into the store and explain the hinge creaks and i'd like to exchange it for a new one.

3. Alfonsomac thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your reply.
    It is so bad?
    I mean, i know i paid for something and that thing should be perfect, but i've also changed twice my iPhone 5 and even the third had a minor scratches on one side.
    I would be in the position to change my rMBP and have a different, maybe worst problem. That's what keeps me to return it.
    I think i'm going to think about it in the next days, since i've bought it yesterday. :confused:

4. DJJAZZYJET macrumors 6502

Mate, I have been through 8 iPhone 5S's due to various issues (rattling, backlight bleeding, distorting screens, marks out of the box, poor battery life etc). I just got a rMBP a few days ago and the hinge is fantastic. Its rock solid and does not make a sound when opening and closing. If there was to be any problem with it, I wouldn't just accept it. You pay that much for a laptop, you expect perfection with its build quality. Thankfully this laptop seems to be perfect. A creaky hinge is not acceptable in my book, considering factors like resale and the fact your warranty covers it. If you think you're risking something by swapping it out and getting a worse laptop, then I think you're worrying too much. The laptops seem to have better quality control than the phones do.

5. Alfonsomac thread starter macrumors member

You may be right.
    I'm going to replace it with another one in the next days. :/
    Thank you :)

6. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

7. akhilleus macrumors member

Take it to Apple and get it fixed. You're in the period still so it'll be no hassle, no cost. If this was after some years of use or regular wear, I'd say just deal, but it's new so fix it now before you start to get mad about it for the next 5 years.

8. asdfgbg macrumors regular

asdfgbg

My hinge does that too sometimes, doesn't really bother me.

9. Alfonsomac thread starter macrumors member

I went to the Apple Store today and they replaced it immediately :)

This one seems perfect (so far); it also has a Samsung monitor, while the other had an LG one, but it seems to be a bit yellowish than the former.

:)

Edit: if i'm not wrong, also the manufacture data that appears in CoconutBattery it's a month later than the previous one.