Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theviewer19855

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2017
Right, this must be possible... and if its not, then Apple is really missing a beat. My goal, is to have an ipad screen in the kitchen thats primary role is to be a home hub... in other words, just have the home app open on it and easily accessible at all times. At some stage in the future, i'd likely have iPad minis all over the house doing the same job.

There are a few problems in this... the more problems we hack, the more useful it'll be.

1. I have the screen as always-on, by going to the settings and saying "never lock". Obviously so i dont need to login, to make minor adjustments to my smart home. My issue with this, is I dont like the screen being full brightness at all times. Is there a way to dim the screen when inactive for a while without turning off?

2. This is less likely to be possible... but it would be awesome if i could make the home app become the "lock screen" or "default open app" so that everytime i go to the ipad, the home settings will always be staring back at me. I could always leave the home app open, but in reality, this wouldnt happen as this Ipad also gets used for recipes while cooking. So what would be amazing is if when the screen goes to "dim mode" after X minutes, it also opens the Home app.

For now, i think thats it.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Right, this must be possible... and if its not, then Apple is really missing a beat. My goal, is to have an ipad screen in the kitchen thats primary role is to be a home hub... in other words, just have the home app open on it and easily accessible at all times. At some stage in the future, i'd likely have iPad minis all over the house doing the same job.

There are a few problems in this... the more problems we hack, the more useful it'll be.

1. I have the screen as always-on, by going to the settings and saying "never lock". Obviously so i dont need to login, to make minor adjustments to my smart home. My issue with this, is I dont like the screen being full brightness at all times. Is there a way to dim the screen when inactive for a while without turning off?

2. This is less likely to be possible... but it would be awesome if i could make the home app become the "lock screen" or "default open app" so that everytime i go to the ipad, the home settings will always be staring back at me. I could always leave the home app open, but in reality, this wouldnt happen as this Ipad also gets used for recipes while cooking. So what would be amazing is if when the screen goes to "dim mode" after X minutes, it also opens the Home app.

For now, i think thats it.
I should have a home hub...

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
  1. Why don’t you just have no passcode? Then you just hit the home button, you don’t have to log in.
  2. iPad opens to the last open app when it unlocks so while you can’t make it the lock screen it should open up there. Alternatively using Accessibility settings would be able to achieve this - check out Guided Access in that section of the settings

theviewer19855

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2017
I should have a home hub...

I am not sure if you were meant to say "You should have a home hub"? But the reason that won't work, is because it isn't visual. To be a complete "home hub" I need visual representations - such as for security cameras, light colour, what temperature it is at the moment. Etc

1. Why don’t you just have no passcode? Then you just hit the home button, you don’t have to log in.
  2. iPad opens to the last open app when it unlocks so while you can’t make it the lock screen it should open up there. Alternatively using Accessibility settings would be able to achieve this - check out Guided Access in that section of the settings

1. Not very clear I know, but when I say 'login', I am referring to having to press the button. Its a touch ID - so a button push is all I need to do regardless of a passcode, but it's already too much work. For multiple reasons, but like I said above.. being able to glance at the screen and see things like security cameras and temperatures is essential. Or, just a slight tap of the screen to un-dim it, would also work for me.

2. Yeah of all my needs, this is the least problematic and is certainly a very niche desire I am sure. I could of course just leave the app open. But, the problem is if i am using it for say a recipe. Then after cooking, i walk off and hours later come back and want to control the home i have to shrink the recipe, open home and then do what i need to do. It would be so cool if every time I go into the ipad, its on the home app regardless of where i left it (if a certain duration has surpassed).

As I say this, I realise I am basically describing modern Alexa and Google home hubs... they are moving away from just speakers, and turning into mini-screens - and considering Ipads are screens with home software on it - it's not that wild to suggest having a "home hub mode". I reckon that could be something that will eventually come to iPadOS, to be honest.

Scarboose

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2018
It would be cool if the iPads could have this feature. However, while I think Apple is trying to create something like this, it will be for the Apple TV and/or the HomePod. Two items that are designed to never be moved and are built to be able to control all of your electronics in the house whether you are there or not. I don't believe Apple will ever make a touch screen device to do what you want to do, but between Apple TV and HomePod allow you to see and voice the actions you want.

Macintoshrumors

Suspended
Oct 18, 2016
Yeah its possible and quite common. Google it for some ideas. I repouposed my iPad mini as a hub by mounting it on the wall in the living room, you can find mounts an amazon, some get creative and use those 3m hooks. You really dont need to buy new ipads, you can find some used ones for good pieces on eBay or swappa.

I’m tinkering with the idea of having an iPad in the bathroom, maybe somehow mount in on the mirror (i have double sinks with a long mirror) and use it to play videos/music when I’m getting ready for the day/showering. There are a lot of use cases with the iPad and its completely doable.

What would be really epic is if apple makes a mini (if you want a small hub screen size) with Face ID, so you really wouldnt have to physically touch the iPad, just tell Siri to do all the work.
[automerge]1570860724[/automerge]

[automerge]1570860935[/automerge]

Last edited:

theviewer19855

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2017
Yeah its possible and quite common. Google it for some ideas. I repouposed my iPad mini as a hub by mounting it on the wall in the living room, you can find mounts an amazon, some get creative and use those 3m hooks. You really dont need to buy new ipads, you can find some used ones for good pieces on eBay or swappa.

I’m tinkering with the idea of having an iPad in the bathroom, maybe somehow mount in on the mirror (i have double sinks with a long mirror) and use it to play videos/music when I’m getting ready for the day/showering. There are a lot of use cases with the iPad and its completely doable.

What would be really epic is if apple makes a mini (if you want a small hub screen size) with Face ID, so you really wouldnt have to physically touch the iPad, just tell Siri to do all the work.
[automerge]1570860724[/automerge]

[automerge]1570860935[/automerge]

I have tried to Google it, but all i can find is how to enable your iPad as a home hub - so that you can communicate with it from outside the house.

Are you finding other sites explaining how to make the iPad a bit more efficient as a permanent home hub screen? Such as screen dimming features etc etc

Could you tell me some keywords to search for if so? :)

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.