Creating a 'Database' of sorts for a drive with folders in folders?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Soundburst, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Soundburst macrumors 6502a

Hey guys,

If is possible to easily make a searchable document that tells you the location of a file within a drive?

For example if I have a drive with about 10 different sound libraries on. . .and am looking for a specific bird, can I search for bird and then get say the results from all those libraries:

LOCATIONS:
    'Drive -> Folder 1 -> Folder 2-> Bird.wav'
    'Drive -> Folder 6 -> Bird2.wav'

Basically I'm sticking this drive up on a shared space and I need the guys to be able to search for something. . . then go through that drive and grab the file they need using the directions given in the search?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You'll be better off using spotlight, then trying to maintain a document.

In any case, you'll need to use the terminal command:
    ls -R > somefile.txt
    or
    find /Path/ -type f > FilesWithPaths.txt
    This will produce a list of files/folders that are sent to a file. You'll need to load that file into a spreadsheet or word document, massage it to make it look decent.

As soon as someone adds/removes a file, your document will be out of date.

3. Soundburst thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you for your help, I'd use spotlight but unfortunately it's for Windows Users. I'm uploading a drive of SFX and I need the guys to be able to search for an effect and then basically find out exactly where on that drive they need to navigate to get that file they're looking for. Thanks again, I will copy that command into terminal now.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member