Creating a FaceBook w/ My Email Address, Though Not Wanting Friends/Family to Find Me

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by HappyDude20, Aug 23, 2011.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Hey guys,

So this weekend I came across a local club at my college that tends me to meet every weekend at different locations. I have the option of either contact the club's president or their V.P., though they said that they've created a FaceBook group that usually lists the club's upcoming next 3 (weekly) meet ups.

He told me to just create a FaceBook account without any of my info so he can add me into that private FaceBook group club thing so I can be notified of upcoming events and changes.

I'm not too big a fan of FaceBook and don't feel like changing my values now just so I can follow college clubs and their events. Furthermore I can understand this thread can sound like a plea for getting a FaceBook without being noticed, though I've started threads here going month's back asking about FaceBook's privacy policies, among others.

I'm thinking that if I do bite the bullet and get a FaceBook to simply be part of a few club groups on FaceBook to receive their upcoming events by email, I don't want friends and family to know i'm on FaceBook simply because they have my email...and the importance in me using my real email is because there would be no point to sign up for these FaceBook Groups to receive their upcoming events via email, considering my email has to be correct to receive the event notices.

2. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

You can create a free email address, for example with Yahoo. Then sign up on Facebook with a fake name. Or you just contact the club's president or their V.P.

3. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

You're totally right and as time is progressing I keep thinking about just getting a Facebook with my nmaemand all my info but I'm not too much of a Facebook fan. I've held out all these years and always see many people around always on it, I feel like it can be an addiction I can sure avoid.

4. stevenlangley1 macrumors regular

stevenlangley1

I'm not 100% sure but I think you can chose to not be found by your email address. I'd just go on there create an account and set every option to the max security...or like marc said create it with an new free address.

5. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

You can make yourself completely non-searchable. By anyone. :)

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Doesn't sound like you need a facebook account in the first place.

7. Daffodil macrumors 6502

Daffodil

As others have said, there are privacy settings to make yourself unsearchable.

If you really wanted to stick to the alternate email idea, then you could make a new account and have it set to forward everything to your normal email. That way, as long as you keep your "fb-email" private from your family, you'd still get your notifications, without them finding you. Tbh, this seems slightly like overkill to me, but if you're concerned you won't be able to keep up with the privacy settings, then maybe it's worth it for the peace of mind..?

Finally, I think a lot of grief about what people can and can't see about you on facebook can be avoided pretty well by thinking twice before uploading/posting anything, since once it's out there, it's much harder to get rid of it.

8. quizzi macrumors regular

quizzi

May I ask what are the settings that makes you unsearchable on FaceBook? :)

9. kolax macrumors G3

Haha. I give you 2 weeks till you have 200 friends on Facebook and you check it daily.

I have a mate who refuses to use Facebook, but has a Google+ account. What a douche.. if it was privacy he was worried about, I'd be more concerned about Google than Facebook.

10. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

The reason I can't get a FB is cause of work.

I too have a Google+, of which I was looking forward to but don't really use it...even though i'm always logged into Google.

11. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Can't you just get the President's or VP's number and shoot them a text for the schedule?

12. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

What, they'll fire you for even having one, even if you only use it at home? :confused:

What's the big deal about "being found" on Facebook, anyway? If you get a friend request from someone and you don't want to be their friend, just click "Ignore." Problem solved.

13. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I can but considering we all work in a streamlined productive manner, we all oversee when any one of us is available based on Google Cal and the like. It's an option but i'd much rather go the route I originally mentioned.

Can't have it period. I'll be fired. Whenever a new employee starts working for our company they have 3 weeks to delete any existing social accounts, failure to do so results in termination.

14. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

If you're not working in highly-classified government work (or for Apple :p), then I hope you're getting paid some serious salary, because that's a rather high level of control.

(Disclaimer: I don't have a FB account, and never have, out of personal choice.)

15. Daffodil macrumors 6502

Daffodil

Then it seems like the choice is obvious. Don't make a facebook account and get yourself fired, especially when another option has already been presented to you! Just email the club pres/VP and save yourself all sorts of trouble...

16. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Agreed. Ask the person in charge to provide the data in a manner that doesn't require signing up for access. You're not going to be the only person who can't or doesn't want to get Facebook, for whatever reason.

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Why in the world would you risk your job to follow a club on facebook. Not worth it in my opinion.

18. chown33 macrumors 604

Unless it's the People Who Join Facebook To Get Fired Club.

It's a sub-chapter of Tautology Club:
    http://xkcd.com/703/

19. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

w-wut?! :eek:

20. Eldiablojoe macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

Do you work with Sam Browne?