Creating/validating New Zealand iTunes account/Apple ID on iPad in UK

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by zen, Jul 20, 2012.

1. zen macrumors 68000

zen

Apologies if this is a bit of an old question, but I've searched and searched!

We live in the UK. We are giving an old iPad 1 to my wife's father, who is over from New Zealand. We wiped the iPad and reset it to factory settings, and created a new Apple ID/iTunes accounts for him.

On the iPad, going to the app store does send us to the NZ iTunes store, but when I try to buy anything, it says this account has not been used in the store yet and must be verified.

At this point, the iPad actually freezes on a black screen, after asking me to log in with the new account details.

If I try to do this in iTunes itself on either a Mac or PC, by signing out, switching to the NZ store, then signing in with the new ID, it says:

"Your request could not be completed. Make sure your computer's date is set correctly and that it accepts cookies from the iTunes Store. For detailed solutions to resolve this issue, click More Info."

Clicking More Info just takes me to the Apple Support front page.

I assume this error is because we're not in NZ, we're in the UK, and it won't allow the account to be verified. The user is from NZ, with a NZ credit card and NZ address, so we're not trying to circumvent store T&C, we're just trying to get the account set-up and running.

Any ideas to get around this?

2. zen thread starter macrumors 68000

zen

Resolved - used a VPN to pretend we were in NZ.