Creating VPN Tunnel on iOS/OS X to Mac to use Home Internet Connection

Discussion in 'macOS' started by richardsoj, Aug 16, 2014.

1. richardsoj macrumors newbie

Hi,

A friend posed the question about setting up a MacMini to host as a VPN server to then be able to use the home internet connection whilst out using 4G/Wifi. I've tried this before with Windows and worked when it was a IIS server etc.

is there something available for the Mac that will allow:

iOS devices to VPN into the Mac(at home) and use the home internet connection?
    OS X device to also use the same VPN connection to utilise the internet?

I know of several third party tools, TunnelBlick, OpenVPN etc - but ideally not to go through a 3rd party server farm/connection.

Any pointers/hints would be great.

I have looked at several past postings and taking some pointers from them, but ideally looking for an all in one solution.

Thanks
    Rich

2. asriznet macrumors regular

I'm curious to find out what's the reason you would like to VPN to your home network for? save on data usage, i don't think so.... are there some features you are trying to access that's only available when you are at home?

Some wireless routers provide an option to act as a VPN server, Asus RT-AC66U is an example as I personally use that.

For a mac, you can install OS X server, it does include a VPN server if you would like to use it, you may need to set port forwarding on your router for remote access.

For OpenVPN, there's a guide made by Steve @ http://www.stevesell.com/?p=36

3. harvester32 macrumors newbie

Vpn

Download the program VPNServerConfigurator. I use this on my Mac Mini to do exactly what you said. It allows me to have a secure connection to my home mac and use the internet there. This allows safe browsing while at public wi-fi spots to do banking, or other browsing that needs security.

VPN Server Configurator can be downloaded from a company called Green World Software.

Works great and gives me piece of mind while I travel and use unknown wi-fi links. Also allows me to stream music at work even though they block streaming as once it is in a VPN, the local WiFi has no idea what ports or data is being transmitted.

Hope that helps.

4. richardsoj thread starter macrumors newbie

Vpn..

Hey both thanks for that - I think however for simplicity I'd try the GreenWorld setup and see how it goes.

My reason for doing this is so when travelling I can watch iPlayer, etc that are blocked when abroad. I want the flexibility to access my Plex, music, and broadband without restrictions as placed when in hotels etc - so hopefully the Greenworld will allow all of that (I know plea already publishes externally) but this too can be blocked in some locations.