Creative almost exactly duplicates the 5G iPod with its knoc...

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
there's a phrase about imitation being the sincerest form of flattery or something - hard to debate they looked at the competition before designing this one.

thx to engadget for the image.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Wow. Even the menu, battery icon, etc look exactly like the iPod. :mad:

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
The hard rule across the middle of it is very elegant and tasteful. Also practical. I can store all kinds of good stuff in there. *picks at bellybutton lint* :)

greatdevourer

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2005
If Creative can sue Apple for having a media player with buttons and a screen, then Apple can get Creative back for making it so similar that you can't tell the screens apart

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003
engadget is reporting that it's going to retail for $330 or $31 more than the 30 gig ipod. now i know for some the audio recorder, fm tuner and additional format support are important to some people, and some people just hate the ipod, so these will sell.

but how does creative expect to compete with joe-six pack when you're not only the ugly choice, the unhip choice, but also the expensive choice?

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
It's too thick and an ugly looking Fisher Price knock-off of an original. Burn in hell Creative.

Here's to the Crazy Ones

slipper

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2003
It looks as good if not better than the new iPods. I cant stand the metal back cover to the iPods.

mrsebastian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2002
sunny san diego
dashiel said:
engadget is reporting that it's going to retail for $330 or $31 more than the 30 gig ipod...
i'm no ceo, especially not a high one, as they seem to be over at creative, but why not just give me the money they spent on development (copying), manufacturing, etc? i would hazard a guess the legal team at apple has an extra pot of coffee brewing right now.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Clever of them to shoot on a white background to "hide" the big thick white bulk stuck on the back :p (And using Apple's own photo angles too. Nice!)

Function-wise, it seems like MOST players navigate using some form of the NeXT Column View like iPod does (and no, NeXT wasn't the first with that). But the STYLE of the UI in this case is an iPod/OS X rip-off.

How is trying to fool buyers not going to backfire, even if Apple legal does NOT pursue this?

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Danksi said:
Can't tell if the battery is replaceable or not - that's one of my gripes with the iPod.
Note that this is not an "iPod thing"--LOTS of players have always had built-in batteries. It helps keep the design smaller and thinner.

But in the case of the others, they're really NOT replaceable. They don't have the replacement options iPod owners have: with the iPod (even older models), multiple replacement options do exist. So the iPod battery is not "easily replaceable," but you're still better off than with some other players.

(Side note: I listened to my iPod awhile yetserday evening and then accidentally left it playing through headphones all night and noticed it at noon. 2/3 battery life left! Not bad for a year-old player :) )

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003
nagromme said:
How is trying to fool buyers not going to backfire, even if Apple legal does NOT pursue this?
i wonder if creative's patent that covers the ipod interface - in theory - is going to be used as a deterrent to apple suing them for encroaching on apple's industrial design?

relative merit or legitimacy of the patent aside, it is a granted patent and would be much easier to defend in court than apple suing creative for making something with a similar ID to the ipod. creative might be keeping that patent as their ace up the sleeve.

just a thought.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
I'm tired of seeing potential "iPod killers." Apple is way too far ahead of the game for anyone to catch up. And does Creative offer their own online music service? As far as I know, they do not. That's what is so great about Apple: they offer both the iPod and the service.

Oh and by the way, these MP3 players look WAY too similar to the iPods... I'll wait for a lawsuit soon. ;)

TheMasin9

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2004
Huber Heights, OH
no lawsuit

im bettin we see no lawsuit from apple. there was a beef between the two companies earlier this year about the patent rights to a heirarchial menu system in a portable media player and i think creative owns the rights. if apple is going to sue for design infringement then creative could sue for menu infringement or something. so many different components cross over both in poratable media players and in computers that these lawsuits rarely comes up. im betting the next lawsuit from apple comes a week or two before MWSF 2006 for somebody leaking infor or a product release. well see.

k, so it's twice as thick, looks a little awkward with this huge scroll bar in the middle (which can't be great.. what happens when you reach the bottom?), and costs more. And doesn't work with itunes.

Now, If it was a nano competitor, they'd be golden, just because there aren't enough nanos. But competing with 5G ipods? yeah right.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
It would be ironic if Apple and Creative agree to let each other alone... and yet Creative STILL can't get their players to take off, even WITH copying the iPod's style. (Or attempting to. I take it that whole bottom half below the crack tilts to click the buttons underneath?)

dontmatter said:
k, so it's twice as thick, looks a little awkward with this huge scroll bar in the middle (which can't be great.. what happens when you reach the bottom?)
What happens? Scrolling stops--or if it keeps scrolling (a la Kensington mice), you're no longer in precise control. No prolonged accelerated scrolling. The wheel is unique in its ability to scroll WITHOUT stopping. And for a long list of items--like, say, a music library--stopping is a killer.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
nagromme said:
What happens?
It works a lot like the joystick would in many games. You slide up or down for fine control, and hold your finger at either extreme to let it accelerate for faster scrolling.
kainjow said:
Wow. Even the menu, battery icon, etc look exactly like the iPod. :mad:
Creative players had that layout since before the iPod existed :)