Credit card extended warranty instead of Applecare?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DanK104, Apr 29, 2010.

1. DanK104 macrumors member

Many (if not most) major credit cards provide extended warranties, usually doubling the manufacturer's warranty for up to one additional year. This would make the Macs warrantied for two years, and mean that Applecare will only add one additional year. This of course makes the "Applecare or no Applecare" question more difficult, i.e. is it worth $2-300 just for coverage during year 3?

Has anyone actually tried using their credit card's extended warranty to get Mac repairs during year two? If so, what was your experience?

[This extended warranty is one of the better benifits of many cards, one that many people aren't even aware of; check with your credit card company to see if you have it!]

DanK

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I know a fair number of people who have used their credit card warranty and while it's a little more of a hassle it's also free. I would suggest using such warranty over Apple Care if you're comfortable with the "show me your receipt", "now show me your computer", "now go get a repair quote on the computer", etc. It is not difficult, but it's not as easy as going to Apple and having them just fix it.

3. d1sahib macrumors newbie

I stopped buying AppleCare a couple of years ago, and have relied on the additional year of warranty provided by my AmEx card. I ran into a problem last year with my Macbook Air after about 18 months, and it was fixed at no charge to me.

You will need the documentation, as Jessica pointed out.

In addition, the card covers accidents in the first 60 (or is it 90) days -- e.g., you drop it, lose it etc -- which AppleCare doesn't cover.

4. Dgpsx7 macrumors member

Always make sure that computers are covered by looking at the excluded items in the terms and conditions. Also remember the benefits of Amex charge cards (green, gold, platinum) are different than the benefits of their credit cards (blue).

I always buy my electronics on my amex and decline car insurance during rentals because of it. It would be cool if they had a heavier version of apple care like 5 years total.