Credit card number got stolen, do you think this is related?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by chrono1081, Jan 23, 2012.

1. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Hi guys,

When I purchase online I always look for the SSL lock and check security certificates. I shop online a lot.

Well today, to avoid a late payment on a medical bill (it arrived today, its due tomorrow) I logged in to the bills website, noticed there was no SSL or security certificate, and against my better judgement sent payment info anyway.

Five hours later Chase calls about an unauthorized purchase on my card in New York.

I'm no expert on internet security but I was wondering if anyone thinks this may be related?

2. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

I hope not. That would suck.

3. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

Did you login from a different computer than what you normally do? EVERY site that accepts credit card information that's not phishing requires at least 128 bit encryption.

4. chrono1081 thread starter macrumors 604

chrono1081

I was on my usual desktop computer.

The site had an https: address, but no certificate and little lock in the corner of the browser. The site was the same site listed on my billing statement and wasn't from an email or a search engine.

Blah, the one time I figure maybe I'm being too paranoid and something like this happens :rolleyes:

5. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

i would just call chase and get anew card if you haven't done so already.it was probably just a freak accident.

6. chrono1081 thread starter macrumors 604

chrono1081

Yep, a new one was on its way yesterday. I didn't even know about it until they called asking to verify a charge.

Generally chase flags for non-suspicious things (like me buying from the Apple store) but won't flag for suspicious things (my card hitting in Dubai, Singapore, and New Zealand within the same 24 hour time period, which was actually legit)).

I figured it was just another false alarm this time but it wasn't. Such a pain in the @$$.

7. UlsterApple macrumors regular

My local bank blocked my card five times at Christmas due to 'suspicious activity' and left me having to use a less secure card to buy gifts on-line.
    The 'suspicious activity' was ME trying to buy gifts from the Apple Store, but since I 'don't usually shop on-line' according to my bank they thought it was a fraudster.
    I buy ALMOST EVERYTHING on-line and have done for years. I suppose I can't fault them for trying to protect my money, but how am I meant to buy stuff when they think I'M the fraudster????
    However: the only time the other card was ever used fraudulently the Visa company noticed it immediately - apparently I DON'T live in Ohio :D - and stopped the transactions, so full marks there.