Credit Score and Barclay or Best Buy card?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lasalzil, Apr 19, 2010.

1. lasalzil macrumors newbie

My 2 year old PC has just broken :( and I've always wanted a Mac. The PC was about $400 to fix, so I figured if I have to put that into a 2 year old computer, I may as well get the Mac I've always wanted!

I am looking at getting a 13" either MBP or MB, haven't quite decided yet. However, because it broke so suddenly I did not have time to save in cash for the Mac. I was looking at either the Best Buy card of the Barclay Card. I have 2 open lines of credit, always pay on time, etc. My oldest line is only 2 years old though... I just pulled a credit score and it's 617. I'm curious as to whether or not I'd get approved for either card before I actually apply. (Or even possibly an Amazon card?) I didn't know how much difference it would make if I waited a month or two to apply and in the mean time paid down one of my cards?

The worse part is: I start FIVE classes ONLINE in 3 weeks. So... I'm kind of in a pickle. The card would be paid off within 3-4 months, just wanted a heads up on approval! This computer is going to have to last me at least 4 years (fingers crossed), which is why I'm leaning towards the PRO!

Thanks for the help.

2. Shanewilliams macrumors 6502a

From my personal experience with a 617 credit score there will be no problem getting a best buy store card. When i was rebuilding my credit about 2 years ago, i was able to get one with a roughly 600 beacon score. Now my credit limit was $1400 to start out with but that will cover a macbook and some accessories. Also, if i remember right best buy has 18 months no interest on purchases over $999 right now. As far as the barclay card goes i have nothing to offer you on it. ive personally considered getting it recently just to get a macbook while adding a open line of credit to my report as im down to 2 open lines of credit right now and im trying to build my score a bit higher. hope this help!

3. Kingcodez macrumors 6502

Kingcodez

You shouldn't have a problem getting the card, I barely had any credit and I got a card to buy my last mac (for kicks and building the credit).

4. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

617 seems a little low to get a card nowadays, but you may get one with a low limit and crappy interest rate.

5. DC3400 macrumors newbie

Might I suggest for a longer term strategy that you try to have your parents sign you up as a "authorized user" on one of their credit cards which has higher limit and which they are going to be using frequently (i.e. a general credit card they use for all purchases for example). Even though you are a authorized user it will show up on your credit history. VISA looked at this history (which was a mixture of my purchases and my parents purchases) and gave me a 15K card.

LOL!. I was a estate farm auction over the weekend and someone actually paid over $400 for a used (several years old) Toshiba 13" notebook with a plugin cord, but no software CD, and it was not plugged in to see if it worked. Worst yet someone paid $825 for a Canon 30D with kit lens. After messing with the camera in their car they came back to the auctioneer and said someone has inserted the memory card in backwards and bent a tab inside so the auctioneer put it back for bid - same person bought it - this time for over $700. As the kit lens for this obsolete camera is junk you can buy the camera new for $800 and change.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Or revolving credit.

7. jessep28 macrumors 6502

jessep28

Personally, I would be cautious on extending credit for such a purchase. It seems to be more of a want than a necessity. If you can survive by either borrowing a computer or using your school’s for the 3-4 months it takes to save up and pay cash, that’s what I would do. But that’s my opinion.

8. ustahir1 macrumors member

I work for a credit card company in the UK, tbh im not sure what if our credit score system works the same as the US, but what i would advise is if you ring the company an try to speak to somebody, they usually the people best to tell you, our applications can take a week or so to go through so speak to somebody about your options n then if you want apply for it there n then.