Creepy Uncle Joe still doesn't get it.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Herdfan, May 29, 2019.

1. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Well, at least it wasn't a room full of underage pageant girls or whatever. Still, not a good look.

2. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Crass politics. Maybe the Right will convince some of the nitwits that Creepy Uncle Joe is worse than Grab’m By The *****, Sexually Assault Them, And Brag About It To The Boys Donny.

3. raqball, May 29, 2019
    Last edited: May 29, 2019

raqball macrumors 68000

How can anyone defend this creep over his disgusting behavior to a 10-year-old girl?

Slap him on a national kiddy diddler list and keep this perv away from children....

4. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

However, this is about Joe and not the other guy.

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Guessing you will vote for him if he wins the nomination?

6. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

What gets me is one we have multiple videos and pictures of sexually assaulting minors and adult women, the other was bragging (locker room style talk) about if you are a celebrity you can do anything and they don't care (which everyone knows is often true). My vote creepy Joe is far worse than bragging about trying to hook up with someone or telling stories to "the boys" because all men brag and exaggerate about hook-ups.

7. raqball macrumors 68000

His hair fetish and his behavior with young girls is troubling... If he ever gets back into the WH then I guess they'll need to post signs that say keep your hair and young children 10 feet away..........

8. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

He's always sniffing it too, maybe he's trying to guess the brand of shampoo they use.

9. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Unless Biden does something actually unambiguous and not simply greeting people... I don't think the "creep" route is a path Trump wants to take, what with him talking about dating Ivanka if she wasn't his daughter and talking about how he'll be dating teen girls in a few years.

10. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Sounds like a compliment to me.

11. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Until he grabs vaginas, none of this phases me.

12. Crowbot macrumors regular

Crowbot

What better yardstick could we have for a president or candidate? And it's FAZES.

13. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Not sure what you're aiming at with that....
    --- Post Merged, May 29, 2019 ---
    Locker Room Talk. Because, you know, Trump uses a locker room and lies about his conquests in them, lol.

His sexual conquests are probably the ONLY thing he doesn't lie about. Ironic.

14. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Oops, not a word I use often.
    --- Post Merged, May 29, 2019 ---
    Can't imagine dirty talk in Golf locker rooms. :p

[​IMG]

15. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

S- really? Please, I hope Biden doesn't get elected, but there is absolutely NO reason for an individual to refrain from complimenting the look of a child. Are we really at this point in politics? I guess that's why I am getting less interested by the day. Men and women always compliment kids "how cute" etc.
    Only a perv would see something wrong in complimenting a kid.

16. samcraig macrumors P6

I have to agree here. It's not like he said - come here and sit on my lap. If he had only mentioned her beauty - there would be something to raise eyebrows over. Personally, I wouldn't vote for Biden. But this seems to be blown out of proportion.

17. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

it's a star trek reference :p

18. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

The GOP lives to trash any opposition candidate, ANY... CANDIDATE. But they can’t seem to apply the same standards to their loveable Head Despicable, nor like the facts about him, when there is breaking news EVERY DAMN DAY, that accurately brands him for what he is. At least that is how the local Trump fan club reacts, who never seems to examine their own double standards when it comes to politics.

This is not an equivalence argument, (I’ll wait for that from JK), but a comparison and examination of the hypocrisy embedded in the Right Wing and specifically vocal Trump supporters doing their part for 2020.

Now as far as Biden, he is not my favorite. I don’t like his touching because if gives his opposition ammo, even as their Head Sexual Predator spouts his names, insults, and accusations, with never a peep from his band of hypocrites.

And I’ll note the Creepy Uncle Joe meme is being used because they can’t nail him as a sexual harasser or predator, so this will have to do in the race for 2020, as we continue to watch Trump minions with eyes wide open, supporting the worst person in the world. :mad:

This article from the Washington Post. You may need a subscription to read from the source:
    How gross is Joe Biden’s touching? There’s no point system for determining harassment.
    Here are the Joe Biden facts, spread out like Scrabble tiles, waiting to be combined into something coherent:

Joe Biden hugs women, in a way that can look creepy when caught on camera, in a way that can apparently feel creepy to the women experiencing it, as former Nevada lieutenant gubernatorial candidate Lucy Flores shared last week. He came up behind her at a campaign event, she says, leaned in, smelled the back of her head and slowly kissed her hair.

So Joe Biden does more than hug women, apparently — he also does “slow hair kissing.” He’s been doing these sorts of things for years. He’s been doing them, sometimes, to men, as well. Exhibits: placing his hand on the thigh of a state trooper, appearing to nuzzle former senator Al Franken’s ear.

Joe Biden says it was “never [his] intention” to make anyone uncomfortable. “The boundaries of protecting personal space have been reset,” he said in a video posted to Twitter on Wednesday. “And I get it.”

Joe Biden doesn’t make everyone uncomfortable: Stephanie Carter, who had been the alleged “victim” in a “Creepy Uncle Joe” meme, wrote an essay on Sunday clarifying that Biden is a friend. She’d viewed his extended shoulder rub as comforting and supportive at her husband’s swearing-in as defense secretary.

Those are the Biden tiles; we’re all playing with an identical set. The facts aren’t in question, as there were almost always photographers present. But over the past several days, some people have arranged them, ominously, into “PREDATOR,” or earnestly, into “TEARDROP,” and some people have arranged them innocuously into “PARROT,” and Scrabble morons like me have spelled out “TOE” and called it a day.

Into the facts, we can throw the nuances. The double-letter and triple-word scores. The context, the backstory, the things we’ve gotten better at understanding and talking about.

Things like:
    People of all genders have vastly different comfort levels when it comes to being touched, or being touched by strangers, or being touched by vice presidents.

People are allowed to be the narrators of their own stories. They do not have to be offended by something because someone else was; they also don’t get to declare something inoffensive just because it wouldn’t personally bother them.

Sometimes, the exact same gesture is welcomed when one person performs it and unwelcome when it comes from another source.

[Joe Biden’s affectionate, physical style with women comes under scrutiny]

Some gestures are generally accepted as friendly rather than predatory — a handshake, a smile. But in certain circumstances, even those can feel wrong, in ways we can struggle to articulate and feel crazy if we try. Some gestures look creepy but in certain circumstances aren’t creepy at all, in ways we can struggle to articulate and feel like chumps if we try.

Not all buffoonery is malevolent. Not all buffoons can perpetually get away with saying, “I didn’t realize,” because after a while, after enough onlookers have said, “Hey, that’s gross,” they should have realized.

As the vice president of the United States, could Joe Biden — a man accustomed to supporters lining up for handshakes and autographs — have wrongly assumed women and men to be more comfortable with physical contact than they actually were? Sure. As vice president, should Joe Biden also have been ultra-aware that women and men who were uncomfortable might feel they were unable to say so? Sure. Yes. Definitely.

Playing Joe Biden Scrabble is a losing proposition because the context you’re applying to the game can have such a drastic impact on the final score.

Where is the Anita Hill square, for example? Where is the square that acknowledges Biden’s presiding role during her agonizing Senate testimony and how his explanations for his handling of it have continued to be tepid?

Where is the ugh square? The square that acknowledges that most people criticizing Biden, including Lucy Flores, are not classifying what he does as sexual assault. They’re classifying it as an ugh. A withering sigh that says: “Ugh, don’t do that.” You won’t be arrested or fined for it, but if you want to model impeccable good-guy statesmanship, then don’t.

Or, don’t do it to everyone, at least. Going forward, remember that Stephanie Carter and Lucy Flores received nearly identical treatment, and one of them ended up spelling “COMFORTING” and one of them used nearly the same tiles to spell “MORTIFYING.”

This is the point in the discussion where a lot of folks want to throw their hands in the air and threaten to stop playing the game. To claim that it’s too hard, there are too many rules, that it’s impossible to navigate a world in which some women are fine with things and some women aren’t — that the subjectivity of it all makes it impossible.

The subjectivity doesn’t make it impossible, though. The subjectivity makes it human.

I can’t help but feel that every time we have another national conversation about sexual harassment, what we’re looking for is a way to make it into a Scrabble game. A way to say: Here is the instruction manual, here is the point system, here’s how you win.

But it doesn’t work that way. It never will.

We can’t learn universal lessons by analyzing Joe Biden’s actions, because his case is full of subtleties — just like every human interaction. We are not Scrabble tiles, we are made up of particulars, not points.

The questions we need to ask ourselves are not, Am I playing the game the right way? How many points is a shoulder rub or slow hair kiss? The question we need to ask ourselves is, Am I playing the game that the people around me want to play?

19. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

again, if he wins the nomination will you vote for him?

20. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Absolutely. It’s easy to make a relative comparison on a spectrum of Presidential qualities. How about you, going for Mr. Despicable again?

21. samcraig macrumors P6

You're funny. You're asking if we would vote for him vs who - Trump? Funny.

22. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

I assume you are saying that as a primary voter.

23. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

people abstain from voting all the time.
    --- Post Merged, May 30, 2019 ---
    trump said stupid locker room talk on a trash radio show, bidens ACTIONS far exceeds trumps WORDS...........

24. samcraig macrumors P6

Abstaining is not a vote against Trump.

Also - Trump has done more than stupid locker talk. So please stop perpetuating those lies.