Crime & Knives

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Desertrat, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Sometimes I wonder:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article6501720.ece

"The first “anti-stab” knife is to go on sale in Britain, designed to work as normal in the kitchen but to be ineffective as a weapon.

The knife has a rounded edge instead of a point and will snag on clothing and skin to make it more difficult to stab someone."

And:

"The knife is expected to sell for around £40-50 and has been tested with “very favourable” results by the Home Office’s Design and Technology Alliance - set up to research products that can deter crime."

Forty to fifty pounds? And what have the folks at DTA been smoking?

The people who would buy these must be pretty affluent, for starters, and would also not be the sort of people likely to take up stabbing as their new profession.

Those likely to stab will have no interest in the purchase.

For forty or fifty pounds, one should be able to acquire a good-used bench grinder and start a new business: Rounding off the points of Sheffield Fine Cutlery.

I note that people have been killed with straight razors--which certainly are not used for stabbing...

'Rat

2. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Actual you could buy a new bench grinder for about a tenner, it's those fiendishly cunning Chinese you see.

3. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

And all this time I thought the ubiquitous Cleaver was the first anti-stab knife.:p

I agree with Desertrat in thinking this thing won't sell well at all.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Middle class parents who are scared their kids might steal a knife to stab people will buy this.

5. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Completely NOT worth it. The pointy end is very useful for cutting a lot of foods.

6. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

7. takao macrumors 68040

takao

how many knive crimes are made with kitchen knives anyway ...

this thing will end up being a curiosity .. a very expensive crappy one at that since for the same price you can very likely get Dreizack, Victorinox or Zwilling knives which will last for decades

8. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Seems a bit odd but they could still have some utility. It's much easier to kill a person by stabbing them than it is by slashing. Much easier to pierce a vessel or an internal organ. Perhaps there would be a niche where they might be useful but the cost is a bit prohibitive to be attractive to residential homes.

9. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

This has got to be one of the dumbest things I've ever seen, right up there with adjustable beds and non-alcoholic beer.

I can't imagine why anyone would want to buy this, but hey, maybe it's just me. I like my kitchen knives to be pointed.

10. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

I almost busted a lung reading this :D

11. Desertrat thread starter macrumors newbie

Lots of scorn on the gunsites about England, due to the legal structure concerning firearms. So, this knife deal just adds fuel to the nattering.

One guy from England on a site I frequent works as a radiologist in a London hospital. He commented on a case where the patient was stabbed by his girlfriend with a round-tipped bread knife. You know, those rounded-end jobber-dos with the scalloped blade?

I'm accustomed to seeing weird ideas. It's really more bothersome to me that the Home Office DTA could take this silliness as something realistic.

'Rat

12. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Hard to argue with the fact that the US has 25 times higher firearm homicide than the UK. Scorn the English all you will, but I'm pretty sure that in England there wouldn't have been 4 shooting deaths within a block of my college campus since January.

http://www.gun-control-network.org/International.gif

13. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I'm fine with the free market handling this issue....I think these products will lack a huge up taking.

(I plan to be using normal knives for some time...unless they replace it with laser knives, I'll be all over that!)

14. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

This knife will be good for cooks who are all thumbs, like me. ;)

I used those serrated knives which are harder to get cut with. They don't work as advertised on tv (Ginsu knives) without a good deal of practice. But they really don't need sharpening. :)

15. opinioncircle macrumors 6502a

opinioncircle

Well I say that if you're worry about your kids, you just don't make them accessible and you educate them...

16. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

...and if they get good enough, they will make the Food Network. ;)

17. Desertrat thread starter macrumors newbie

Times surely do change. I"m 75, next month. As a kid, I'd have felt undressed without my pocket knife. It was a regular comparative "deal" among us kids as to whose knife had the best shaving edge. Not uncommon at school, during recess, to play "mumblety-peg" with our pocket knives.

One of my chores was the occasional sharpening of my grandmother's kitchen knives. I don't recall ever seeing a working knife that wasn't pointed.

18. opinioncircle macrumors 6502a

opinioncircle

Yes, but I would structure a deal with MASSIVE incentives for the parents :D

19. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Victorinox, the Swiss Army Knife people, have these. :)

And the other Swiss Army product pictured below, A $1200 dollar Wenger-Victorinox with all the tools, is the one I would use to break into the Swiss Bank. :)

Attached Files:

20. Desertrat thread starter macrumors newbie

The most-used parts of my SA pocketknife are the scissors--to trim my mustache--and the toothpick. :)

But that set looks like table knives, not working knives. That sort is much better for spreading butter and jelly/jam than a pointy steak knife, of course.

Do you realize how sharp a knife has to be to cut the skin on a tomato, if you can't first pierce it?

'Rat

21. DELLsFan macrumors 6502a

DELLsFan

No argument here. Though now that Britain is surrendering to Sharia law, it's just a matter of time before those quaint knives are exchanged for stones ... you know ... the ones you'll be able to throw to teach those non-veiled women their lessons. :rolleyes:

22. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I use the scissors on my leatherman to trim my fingernails. :D
    [quot]As a kid, I'd have felt undressed without my pocket knife.[/quote]
    I feel weird when I don't have my Kershaw clipped inside my pocket. It's just so damn handy!
    Ginsu knives are **** anyway. Serrated knives are not for all jobs.

23. LizKat macrumors 68030

LizKat

Right, and for deflating those loathesome airbags used as packing material. And instead of a micro-screwdriver.

24. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I'm assuming that comment is sarcastic...

25. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I'm naked without mine to this day.

No? I suggest you add a santoku knife to your knife block immediately! My 6" santoku is my go-to knife for probably 70% of my kitchen prep work. Even I'm surprised by how often I reach for it over my well-used 9" chefs knife since it arrived in my block.

I do indeed. When I can no longer slice a tomato with any of my straight-bladed knives, it's time for the sharpening stones...